Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Dusty

Unhappy Stranded

For the first time in almost 7000 miles my car left by the road side I pulled in to get gas and before I could reach the key it stop running. This the first time it ever did that, put gas and tried to restart and all it would do cough, spit and sputter with the occasional back fire. It acted as if someway it had got out of time. It was very hot and I thought maybe vapor lock?? Open the fuel lines and they were not plugged as gas flowed freely.

I called the club president and best Model A mechanic in WV in not further and he is broke down in Wisconson with a broken axle Anyway he said its the condenser, I just replaced it about 500 miles ago, I removed what may have been and original or at least one that was a couple of decades old.

So he connected me up with a a guy that lived nearby and he had a condensor and he came to my rescue Before he got there though the car had not run for about 2 hours and thought I would give it a try and as I figured it started right up.

I drove toward the Cavalry that was on its way and was able to meet him and change to a new condenser. I wanted to point out how much expertise and kindness you can buy for $10.00 a year by belonging to one of these organizations.

I also have a question I seem to have read alot about these new condensers not being very reliable, is this true? If so where can I get a good one? BTW the condenser that I replaced was in there for about 6000 miles or so and went through a lot of heat. I mean't to keep it as a backup and thought I put it in the car but it is missing in action as we speak

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Dave in Boise

Default Re: Stranded

I use a modern condensor (like on the modern upper plates) and I mount it on the screw that holds the coil to the firewall and hook the wire direct ot the coil..

Keeps much cooler up there than it does inside the distributor cap.. Have not had one burn out yet mounted in that manner.

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I bought one from A&L --25 years ago that I am still using, before that I went through many.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Richard Wilson

Condensers, hot exhaust manifold, and hot weather sometimes don't mix well. This was a MAJOR problem with imported reproduction condensers back in the 80's. Glad you were only down for a short while. I agree with the $10 statement. Most of the active local clubs have a lot of knowledge to share.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
midgetracer

Snyders calls their condenser a burnout proof condenser. I had a lot of trouble with dried out old swap meet condensers before I tried the "burn out proof" ones from Snyders and have had no problems since.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

I always keep a spare points and condenser with me in case of this.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Snyders calls their condenser a burnout proof condenser. I had a lot of trouble with dried out old swap meet condensers before I tried the "burn out proof" ones from Snyders and have had no problems since.
It was a Snyder's condenser, I just put it in a month or so ago. I wish I could locate the old one I took out, it was in there sense rebuild(7500 Miles) or longer and looked vintage.
Its at the house somewhere unless the wife found it before me, my punishment for leaving things lay around is permanent banishment from the premises

Looking for a lot of stuff in WV
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
johnbuckley

Have just replaced three (yes THREE) "modern"condensers on on a 2000 mile tour. Can't remeber wher I got them from- obviously a duff batch ( all had an orange wire) just replaced it with one from Macs (this one has a black wire by the way ( and made in mexico) this sees much better ( so far!).
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Clem Clement

Interesting idea of putting the condenser on the coil. Surely cooler. Have others done that? Why didn't Henry do that?

I wonder if we should keep our spare consencers ina zip-lock bag to keep the moisture out?

Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

I have been using "Burnout proof" condensers http://www.brattons.com/prodtype.asp...earchCriteria=from Bratton's . I have one of his in my 2 door sedan since 1984 and it's still going strong.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Somewhere in the past, I've heard that a condensor mounted tooo far away from the points does not afford good protection against points burning???? Comments, please. Bill W.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Dave in Boise

Bill,

hmm.. so far no issue with burnt points.. I have used the "remote" condensor trick on both modern points and original points. I had to because the heater manifold blocked me from being able to swap out a condensor on the road without dropping the manifolds..
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Somewhere in the past, I've heard that a condensor mounted tooo far away from the points does not afford good protection against points burning???? Comments, please. Bill W.
No problem with mounting the condenser adjacent to coil - so long as the wire carrying current to points is decent quality and hence to all intents and purposes zero resistance
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Clem Clement

Folks around here say the distance is too much?
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

may i ask how you know FOR SURE it was the condenser!!!?? We had the same problem here on a fine point car...after the mandatory tour it stopped and would not start at all....dead...Turned out he too changed the condenser and had nothing to do with it at all, it was a frayed lower plate wire that was shorting out.. So that is why i ask how you know for sure what it was after the 2 hour sit.....???
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
real550A

"swap out a condensor on the road without dropping the manifolds.. "
Dave- Wouldn't it be easier to just lift the distributor out to change the condenser?
That seems much simpler than removing manifolds, IMO.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

From what you described, it sounds like ethanol gas boiling in the carb. If it does it again try cooling the carb by pouring water on it, then see if it will start.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote