Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
1932tub

Default 32 radiator difference

Can anyone tell me if a 32 commercial radiator is the same as a passenger car radiator?
I have a commercial one but the sidebands are plain, if memory serves me
right the v8 passenger cars have a swage down the band.
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
jerseyboy

Default Re: 32 radiator difference

This is the one that came out of my 32 Woody. As you know, the Woody is considered commercial. Hope this helps.

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Krylon32

They are the same dimensions.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Andy

The commercial will have a shorter fill neck. I had to put a taller one on the commercial V8 radiator to use in my coupe
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Krylon32

Filler neck is shorter? I have one that came out of a pu and when it's beside a stock car radiator you can't tell the difference. My pu rad must have started out in a car.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
jerseyboy

Not 100% sure, but pretty sure passenger and commercial radiators are the same. Would be nice to hear from Dave R., Vince, Richard or Bruce on this.
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I have not found any different neck heights, but that and the lack of a differnt commercial radiator in the parts book (there is a different one with an extra row in the truck section, not relevant here) don't mean much...'32 parts book has lots of gaps, and radiators I have are strictly whatever I have found. My commercial has a passenger grll on it for further confusion...
And of course there were multiple suppliers and presumably aftermarket radiators, so minor stamping differences are probably meaningless. The correct one is the one that isn't leaking...
Model A necks '30-31 might be the explanation of a single low radiator, as I think those would go right on a B tank.
Further, due to that, I have not yet tracked down a commercial cap.
I do not personally believe there are neck height differences but it remains an open question!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Krylon32

Dick Spadero says the commercial cap is very elusive. Had his stolen at a show. He says for a fake cap the 30/31 A gas cap is very close.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

All I know is that the thing looks like a '30-31 with a slightly longer skirt below the knurled part. My roadster, though, is happily wearing a model 46 radiator cap put there by a previous owner...
Dang. Never thought of heisting Spadaro's cap!
I have done some poking around in the few booths at Hershey with large stocks of original Model A parts, hoping to find that one of their '30-31 caps was taller than the others, but so far no luck. I should start taking along a Model A cap both as a size template and as trading stock in case the B one turns up on an A.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
DavidG

1932tub,

All '32 radiators are interchangeable in terms of their outer dimensions and how they are mounted, including the BB radiator with the extra row of tubes, and either the passenger radiator shell or the commercial/truck radiator shell fit all of them. There is no difference in the height of the filler necks in any original '32 radiator.

Despite there having been more than 100,00 of them manufactured, original commercial/truck radiator caps are indeed difficult to find today.

Dave Rehor
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #11
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
1932tub,

All '32 radiators are interchangeable in terms of their outer dimensions and how they are mounted, including the BB radiator with the extra row of tubes, and either the passenger radiator shell or the commercial/truck radiator shell fit all of them. There is no difference in the height of the filler necks in any original '32 radiator.

Despite there having been more than 100,00 of them manufactured, original commercial/truck radiator caps are indeed difficult to find today.

Dave Rehor
This subject of different filler necks was raised once before and was a new one for me. I have a good original B radiator from a 5wc and a NOS BB radiator with the extra row that I have had for years. The one question in my mind is whether a passenger grille/shell will fit the BB radiator? I have a very vague recollection that I tried it once and the front of the core interfered with the passenger grille, which extends a little further rearward than a commercial grille. I need to drag down the BB radiator and test fit the stuff to see what is what? I recently promised Roy N. that I would do this, as he needs a B radiator for his S/D, which will use a passenger grille. I have not forgotten Roy, just been really busy and the BB is up in the loft, which is REALLY dirty... It will happen "soon" hopefully... BTW, Roy thinks the extra row on the BB is to the rear, not to the front, and he
may be right... it has only been about 30 years!!!