Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #21
meric42

Default Re: Does Anyone Know What This Is?

The other option is that it could be a series choke coil, connected in the power feed to the radio in an effort to reduce high frequency Ignition and/or Generator noise being passed through the power feed to the radio?

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Either turn the radio off or throw it away. Tune-up that flathead engine and listen to that "beautiful music" while toolin' down the road! Simple, affordable and gratifying solution. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

Either turn the radio off or throw it away. Tune-up that flathead engine and listen to that "beautiful music" while toolin' down the road! Simple, affordable and gratifying solution. DD
Not so fast; maybe he likes the crop reports and foreign language stations so common on AM radio these days. I even found one up here in Minnesota that plays Mexican music that sounds like "Old-Time" polka music to me. You know, trumpets and oomp-pa tubas and accordions. I got kinda used to it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

If in NYC area, we still some decent talk radio stations around on the AM dial. That's if you can stand the static.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #25
rotorwrench

Don't forget that there is a difference between a two way radio transceiver antenna and a plain old radio receiver antenna. All a regular car radio needs is an antenna that will receive signals of a frequency range depending on the receivers frequency band. An AM radio only needs a simple antenna and any coils will usually be inside the radio set.

A transceiver antenna can be a bit more complicated.

Ignition noise, generator noise, or what have you, can be filtered with a capacitor in the noisy items power line. The King Seeley senders sometimes had caps on them too.

The Motorola 60 was not a Ford standard option. The Motorola 60P was actually a police radio made from the model 60 and they are kind of big in either case. They were a reciever and they did have a load coil system. Here is a link with some info.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/Moto/Motadata.htm

They mention a magic eliminode system for these. The eliminode system was supposed to be a noise eliminating dual antenna system with one antenna to eleminate noise and the other to pick up the radio frequencies. I don't think this system lasted very long. Here is a diagram link.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...2/M0006702.pdf

Car radios were still kind of a new thing in the mid 30s so a lot of different things were being experimented with. Those Motorola Model 60P receivers were likely among the first police band receivers put into wide use before Police bands got out of the AM frequencies and went to VHF.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-20-2020 at 01:13 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #26
billybronco1

Yep, that's mine in the web site model 60. This part is definitely is a radio component, its now out the car and in a storage box with the big heavy radio. Probably will never be used again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atwater Kent.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I even found one up here in Minnesota that plays Mexican music that sounds like "Old-Time" polka music to me. You know, trumpets and oomp-pa tubas and accordions. I got kinda used to it.
During my first four years of a career with the FAA, I was in an engineering group that traveled extensively doing evaluations and mods on outlying navaids. As such, I spent an awful lot of that time in South Texas, down in the neighborhood of our southern border. 'Chalupa' music is just about all that could be found on a radio down that way, especially back in the '70s. Drove me bonkers, 'cuz it ALL sounds the same. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #28
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Yep, that's mine in the web site model 60. This part is definitely is a radio component, its now out the car and in a storage box with the big heavy radio. Probably will never be used again.
Certainly looks like some sort of inline noise suppression device i.e. what looks like a capacitor in the middle with a coil wound around the outside.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #29
billybronco1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Don't forget that there is a difference between a two way radio transceiver antenna and a plain old radio receiver antenna. All a regular car radio needs is an antenna that will receive signals of a frequency range depending on the receivers frequency band. An AM radio only needs a simple antenna and any coils will usually be inside the radio set.

A transceiver antenna can be a bit more complicated.

Ignition noise, generator noise, or what have you, can be filtered with a capacitor in the noisy items power line. The King Seeley senders sometimes had caps on them too.

The Motorola 60 was not a Ford standard option. The Motorola 60P was actually a police radio made from the model 60 and they are kind of big in either case. They were a reciever and they did have a load coil system. Here is a link with some info.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/Moto/Motadata.htm

They mention a magic eliminode system for these. The eliminode system was supposed to be a noise eliminating dual antenna system with one antenna to eleminate noise and the other to pick up the radio frequencies. I don't think this system lasted very long. Here is a diagram link.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...2/M0006702.pdf

Car radios were still kind of a new thing in the mid 30s so a lot of different things were being experimented with. Those Motorola Model 60P receivers were likely among the first police band receivers put into wide use before Police bands got out of the AM frequencies and went to VHF.
Maybe because its a Deluxe this was part of the deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 radio.jpg (43.1 KB, 27 views)
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #30
rotorwrench

The usual Philco and Zenith radio sets are more common but there were aftermarket sets targeted to all the domestic cars that were more popular. The Philco FT6 was the most common.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-20-2020 at 06:46 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote