Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
CallmeBob

Default Distributor ?

I purchased a 41 Mercury business coupe about 3 years ago for $5000. It was completely disassembled, motor was rebuilt in 2018 and still wrapped in plastic. The dizzy was supposed to be a new rebuild with pertronix still in the box. When I installed the dizzy. like a dumb A, I didn't check it out. I tried to start the motor and it did not hit. so I pulled the dizzy and started looking it over. One of the dogs on the camshaft was gone and the rotor was broke in the middle and the dizzy would only turn half turn each way. I took it apart and found a small lock washer with the the cam weights. My question is this dizzy worth rebuilding and if so where can I get a new camshaft. Oh by the serial # this car was one of the last 41's made, the motor and front suspension is a 42.
CallmeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:43 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Distributor ?

These distributors have little core value. I'd suggest you source a replacement and while you're at it, dump that Pentronix unit. They are for the most part, crap.
There are a couple of very good guys that rebuild distributors on the Barn. Mike Driskell is one, the other being Charlie Schwendler.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:44 PM   #3
47topless

Rebuild your original. I would start here. One of the best.
Charlie Schwendler. 716-662-9159
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #4
CallmeBob

I've used pertronix for years, but on small blocks, and they work a lot better than points. This is my first flathead so I don't know much about them. The pertronix was installed in the original dizzy. I'm now retired, so on a fixed income and money is tight. I have to do everything myself to save as much money as I can. I just need a rebuildable dizzy or the parts to do this one.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:54 PM   #5
47topless

give charlie a call !!!!!
Old 11-25-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
Krylon32

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Another vote for Charlie.

Last edited by Krylon32; 11-26-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 08:54 PM   #7
CallmeBob

41 had the crab style distributor, I don't think a converted Chevy will work. I forgot to mention it's been converted to a 12 volt system. All new wiring though out the whole car except gauges and clock.
Old 11-25-2023, 09:06 PM   #8
cas3

The crab is a dual point unit designed by Mallory, very good piece of equipment. Have one rebuilt and get a correct ford coil rewired to 12 volts by skip haney in FL, and you are good to go.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #9
alanwoodieman

he also said one of the lugs on the cam was broken off--is he talking about the distributor mount timing slot? if so then will need to pull the engine apart and install another cam!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:27 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
he also said one of the lugs on the cam was broken off--is he talking about the distributor mount timing slot? if so then will need to pull the engine apart and install another cam!
Isn't there a slot on the cam and lugs on the distributor? That's what I remember from my experience with "helmets". If so, I would expect the problem to be with the distributor rather than the cam. Maybe even a broken "mounting ear" It sounds like he'll need another distributor in any case.

Just don't buy and e-Fire.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:40 PM   #11
aussie merc

any chance of photos of the damage a picture is worth a thousand posts . A standard crab will work with 12v just need to get the condenser right and as already stated there are numerous replacement [after market] units out there . The cam well there are just as many replacement cams out there just be careful of 2nd hand cams they are often worn and cost more to repair than a good aftermarket again need to work out what you want it to do first
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:46 PM   #12
cas3

The slot is in the cam
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 11:55 PM   #13
JayChicago

I think Tubman is calling this right. There is some miscommunication going on here. OP said "one of the dogs on the camshaft was gone" That makes no sense to me.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:00 AM   #14
JayChicago

Aussie said: "will work with 12v just need to get the condenser right"

I think you meant to say need to get the coil right. Condenser works same on 6 volt or 12 volt.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:15 AM   #15
petehoovie

The tang on the distributor shaft and the slot in the cam are off-center. They (slot and tang) have to be aligned in order to successfully attach/mount the distributor to the block. If this alignment is not done by rotating the rotor shaft, the distributor "ears" will be damaged/broken when tightening the mounting bolts. If this is the case, a replacement distributor will be necessary...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:46 AM   #16
fordy again

Jay, Nice meeting you at the southside car show Waggy had. Are you a CGH member?
fordy again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:23 AM   #17
Ggmac

Isnt the 41 helmet dist ? Maybe someone switch the dist to a rabbit and used a spacer that would explain the broken tab . Maybe . Ive got 3 1941s , one is in parts but 2 are running and as original as I can get . I think he installed it with the offset tabs wrong.
Callme bob , where do you live ? If local (west palm bch fl ) I’ve got a few spare distributor as parts you could have . Post your location or pm me .
You got a good deal on the coupe . I’ve got nos fenders and doors and more, yes I’ve liked the 41s for a long time .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:23 AM   #18
CallmeBob

I'm in NW Arkansas. I also know the motor is a 42 and has the 2 bolt distributor mount not the 3 on the 41. I also know about lining the "dogs" "ears" "tabs" up or they will break. It is the Distributor shaft that is broke part #12175 I think. Where it was broke had some rust in the break area, so it was broke before I installed it. Now I'm looking for another shaft or distributor. It is the crab style distributor. Mercury's were about a year ahead of Fords on some parts from what I understand. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics, the website won't let me, I've tried several times.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:06 AM   #19
47topless

You need to post here at least 10 times before you will have permission to post photos.
Then use the "advanced" menu shown below.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:09 AM   #20
Krylon32

Sorry about the post about the Chevy Dist. Gotta learn to pay better attention to the question. Old age?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote