Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2021, 05:04 AM   #21
dean from bozeman

Default Re: Mouse retardant - dryer sheets

1. Have a cat. She's a good mouser. However, our fields produce many mice.

2. If any get in, I have sticky boards by the ends of the garage doors.

3. Mouse traps along the walls with sticky boards inside.

4. Inside each vehicle I have lavender-scented "mothball" that has a circular bar of soap shape. It is suspended from the steering wheel in a plastic case that comes with it. I buy it at Target.

5. I still am paranoid. All it takes is one.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
katy

I've seen mice run right across those "sticky boards" and not get caught, they seemed to have figured it out that if they ran fast enough they could get across w/out getting "stuck". Sorta like driving on a wet mud road.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
Stew Masche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
Mothballs work well for me. We had a rat snake hanging around for many years until my wife ran over it with the lawn tractor. I started using mothballs and then she complained about the mothball smell so now I use just a few of them. That seems to work and she doesn't complain as much.
So, you’re saying moth balls also work as a wife repellent?
Good to know, thanks for the tip
Old 10-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #24
burner31

What mouse?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (17.5 KB, 15 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #25
Synchro909

And you guys have trouble with mice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFB8ZzOzBYI
Old 10-20-2021, 04:10 PM   #26
Redbird

"Hedge apples" keep them away. "Osage orange" to those that don't know what hedge apples are!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #27
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
"Hedge apples" keep them away. "Osage orange" to those that don't know what hedge apples are!
Locally we call the Osage Orange tree a Bow wood tree. I have 2 very large ones at the cottage. I’ve always referred to it as PITA fruit because of the mess you have to clean up.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #28
MickyD

I have tried dryer sheets and Irish spring and they ate up each.I tried this various years with old cars and they never worked. Rat poison does if you put it where other animals can not get to it. Lots of luck.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #29
Benson

Default Re: Mouse retardant - dryer sheets OFF TOPIC but applies somehow.

I remember when we got this MEMO!

I hope humor is allowed here!

IBM Mouse Balls...
"Memo of the Month," From The Washington Monthly, January/February 1991, page 24:

This is an actual alert to IBM Field Engineers that went out to all IBM Branch Offices. The person who wrote it was very serious. The rest of us find it rather funny.

Abstract: Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)
Mouse balls are now available as FRU. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.

Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse.

Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse.

Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To re-order, specify one of the following:

P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls
P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Mouse Balls

Last edited by Benson; 10-21-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

IBM Mouse Balls...
"Memo of the Month," From The Washington Monthly, January/February 1991, page 24:

This is an actual alert to IBM Field Engineers that went out to all IBM Branch Offices. The person who wrote it was very serious. The rest of us find it rather funny.

Mouse balls are now available as FRU. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement.

Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse.

Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse.

Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

A classic for sure. Thank you for posting! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #31
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

IBM Mouse Balls...

Yup, computer mice had balls back then. I had one that came with instructions how to remove the ball, clean it and replace it.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #32
jimvette59

Wow I just payed 158.00 to have wires spliced to a oxygen censer in my ford because mice ate the wire covering and exposed the wire. Well Ford is using a plant based wire covering that Rodents like to eat so they made a nest with the hood insulation on the engine and had a ready source of food. I was told by the Dealership to put Dryer Sheets in the engine compartment and no more mice. So you think we only have a problem with our old cars. Isn't technology great . Go Figure !
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #33
jg61hawk

I have posted this before and on a Studebaker Forum....You do what you want.... Animals are deterred by smells / scents. I have two old cars and two garages. Around this time of year I pee around the outside and inside of the entrance areas.... Hey now I'm not doing this everyday or every hour but I have done it for years....a little here and a little there....no mice ever! I've heard it all...yeah so if that works why not......fill in as you please... Human urine scares animals.......we never mark our territory...but I do.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:35 PM   #34
CHuDWah

Relative to the OP, I put moth balls in the cab, trunk and under the hood of my coupes and poison bait under the cars. At our previous residence, we also had a feral cat, more like a mini panther. Never had a mouse problem.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:02 AM   #35
Bcat

Nature works.
Bcat is offline   Reply With Quote