Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Hand Cranking the Model A

I was fiddling with my '28 Phaeton's Zenith carburetor the other day and noticed (some times we see something so many times that we become immune to it and no longer see it) and stopped for a moment to reflect on the choke rod arm, and the little hole at one of it's ends.

That got me remembering about the early years of my Model A life, 50 years ago, when I used the wire running from the end of the lever and through the radiator, with a loop at the end. Being poor, I was often running with a weak (or dead) battery. I did a LOT of hand cranking of my '28 Phaeton, and a number of other Model A's. I learned how to cuss while cranking my '28 Phaeton.

Being a bit older now, with more 'jack' and less strength and energy - I really do appreciate an electrical starter. Maybe because it is tied to my youth, but some of those cranking experiences have a certain 'romance' about them.

I don't see anyone hand cranking their cars anymore - except to find a timing gear 'dimple' for their timing 'pin'.

I use to hand crank my 1946 CJ2A Jeep, and my '28 Chevrolet, and '28 Chandler. But it was my '14 Ford Model T that was my favorite. It had only 20 h.p. and was real easy to crank start. I never had to swear while hand cranking my Model T - it was a sweet pussy cat.

Does any one out there in FORD BARN Land still use the hand crank to start their Ford Model A ? And for those of you who have them, any other car ?

- Doug Vieyra, Old Codger, Parts Hoarder, Docent at Eureka Ford Plant
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
darrylkmc

Default Re: Hand Cranking the Model A

DougVieyra,

I hand crank mine all the time, in fact the first dozen times I ever fired up this Model B engine were by hand cranking.

This engine was build about 30 years ago and I have had it in 3 other Model A's plus the BB it came out of.

Don't forget to turn on the key, and the gas, and take it out of gear......

Darryl in Fairbanks
35 degrees and snowing, raining, body shops will be busy tomarrow
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
700rpm

All my engines are rebuilt and have high compression and tight rings and bearings. And I'm old and skinny, so I don't crank any more (though my wife says I'm pretty cranky!).

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I often hand crank mine just to show off . Now after all the years of owning model A's and learning how to tune them I can hand crank them with ease. I'm still purdy strong and high compression heads don't bother me at all. An older model A guy that I have known since 1960 told me that if his cranked that well with the hand crank, he would just remove the starter. I told him that I mostly needed the starter to connect the battery cable and wires. This is the guy that showed me how to hook the condenser to the coil when I was a kid.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
southfork

I wonder how much juice you need in a battery that is going bad to start the Model A engine just by hand cranking it? Without a magneto, a mostly dead battery isn't going to help much when cranking by hand, is it?

How many of you run magnetos on your A's or B's? Just curious because I'm probably going to put a WICO magneto on my "B".
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
DougVieyra

South Fork - I use to run a WICO top-drive magneto on my 'C' engine, then switched to a Bendix-Scintilla side-drive magneto when I put on my Cragar OHV. - both long since gone. Although I still have another Bendix side-drive & governor housing. I plan on posting it on the SwapMeet, one of these days.

Now the 'C' touring engine on my '31 Dlx Coupe has a FS electronic ignition, Stromberg Carb. etc. etc.

However, my 1928 Phaeton is still bone stock original; Although I have removed the choke wire and seldom hand-crank it to start it.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, CAlif. Windy & 58 degrees at 11:30 pm.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
DougVieyra

Default Hand Cranking the Model A

Darryl in Fairbanks (Post # 2):
- "Don't forget to turn on the key, and the gas, and take it out of gear......"

Oh, so true ! In my early years of hand-crank starting my Model A, I have done all of that (and more). I might add : make sure that your Parking (Emergency) Brake is on !

- Doug Vieyra
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #8
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Darryl in Fairbanks (Post # 2):
- "Don't forget to turn on the key, and the gas, and take it out of gear......"

Oh, so true ! In my early years of hand-crank starting my Model A, I have done all of that (and more). I might add : make sure that your Parking (Emergency) Brake is on !

- Doug Vieyra
Those are the 3 things that make me cranky, if I happen to forget about one. Seems to happen more often when someone is helping/watching.

Darryl
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
Joe K

Back in the day with a worn motor and a questionable battery, I used to hand crank often. Now and since the rebuilt motor/new battery, hardly ever.

But that's the difference between young, poor, and stupid, and old, rich, and smarter.

Well, mostly the first of the three. The last two are slow in coming. But I'm ready for them when they arrive.

Joe K
Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Tim Armstrong

You can crank em ?
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
marty in Ohio

Shortly after I got my "A" (21 + years ago) my 19 year old son suggested that we crank it one day. We drove a few miles and got everything warm and then I showed him how to handle the crank. He gave it a couple turns and handed me the crank. He said "there's no future in cranking, Dad."
Even in youth there is wisdom.
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
Barber31

My starters keep going out for some reason so I've been hand cranking for the last couple months. Since my engines tight with high compression, it's tuff getting it started. On top of that is diluted gas. I read here that the sealant the shop used on my tank doesn't go well with our gas so my fuel looks pinkish. Had a guy ask me if I was running racing fuel. Haha. It's easier after things are warmed up. But a few calluses never hurt anybody.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
DougVieyra

Tim Armstrong, post #10 : "You can crank em ?"

Tim - Speaking of hand-cranking . . . . . I noticed that your last name is 'Arm Strong' - If you are hand cranking to start a motor . . . I hope your were named after your arm strength . . . . .

I suspect that if a Seminar on "Hand Cranking to Start Your Engine", those who would attend would be small in numbers, compared to say, "How To Pick up Chicks In Your Model A". . . . . . Unless the hand-cranking seminar was renamed : "How to Pick up Chicks by Showing Off Your Manliness"

Barbar31 (post #12) : Since you have been hand cranking to get your Model A started - have you notice any increase in young women admiring you ?

-Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif

Last edited by DougVieyra; 10-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Actually it doesn't take much strength at all, even with a higher compression head. After choking with the switch off. I get it on compression and only have to slightly lift up on the crank and it starts right up most of the time. With a nearly dead battery, I think that it only needs about three amps to fire the ignition and start the engine. An older guy that I once knew use to hand crank his special coupe at local car shows. when asked if he could hand crank it he would always say that his model A was kinda like a coon dog , If he bragged on it it wouldn't tree. His coupe always cranked and often drew a crowd to watch .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

The other day, I was admiring my crank, "thought" Vermin's engine had "stuck", NOPE! the trusty OPTIMA whirred it over like a champ, guess I've gotten weak & puny! Sure miss Gregg, he could torque the lug bolts to 55# with the crank!!
Bill W.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
DougVieyra

Purdy Swoft - "Actually it doesn't take much strength at all."

While that is most certainly true Purdy, it won't get you any 'chicks' if everyone knew just how easy it is. And not everyone has got their Model A in such 'fine tuned' shape that you have. And it certainly is a bit more of an effort and hassle than, say, pushing your foot on a button.

One of the early advertisements trying to reach the female segment of the car-buying market, was to illustrate that with the new (then) starter (thank you Kettering) even a woman could now start and drive an automobile.

- Doug Vieyra, Wimp from Eureka, Calif
Old 10-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Barber31

Doug - unfortunately no. I still get the same amount of attention from both male and females. Depending on my wife's mood, it would be ok by me to get more attention from them. Speaking of women admiring men with nice cars, there is videos on YouTube of just how insane girls can be with a guy with a exotic car. They test the theory on how a girl responds to guys that appear to have money and wealth. One guy literally just pulls up next to random girls , doesn't say one word, motions to them to get in and lo and behold they flirtatiously get in not knowing why or hearing him speak one word! Crazy.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
rosenkranswa

The Town Sedan's battery died awhile ago and the sky was looking threatening, so I tried hand cranking her to start. I have a '26 T I crank frequently just because it's fun, so know the drill. Much to my amazement she fired right up on the first crank, in fact I was so surprised I stood up real fast and cut the bridge of my nose on the headlight shades requiring an ER visit for stitches.

I have cranked my Willys MB successfully, and I have the crank for my early V8. The thought of cranking a flathead V8's a little intimidating though.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Those are the 3 things that make me cranky, if I happen to forget about one. Seems to happen more often when someone is helping/watching.

Darryl
Hey Darryl,
I know one to add to your '3 things' , that will make you even more cranky or maybe less able to do any more cranky .
If you do not keep your THUMB on the proper side of the cranky handle...you may never crank again !

BTW.. I can not crank my warmed up B engine, without removing the spark plugs. Yup, it's is that warmed up.
And , some talk of being in shape, ha ! I'm no spring chicken, but just lifted a complete B short block up into back of my pickup...try that without opening up an old hernia, eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
hardtimes

Hey Joe,
'worn motor and questionable battery' Boy does that bring back memories when I worked in aircraft..early '60s. I had this wonderful old '30 coupe whose motor could be pushed/turned IN GEAR, till elect turned on ! The battery was ...just there to complete circuit and about all. I quit cranking when I saw other 'opportunities. So parked on a small bump of hill. Would push it to move and jump in and go. Well, I found out that all these smartass guys found the coupe to be a curiosity , making jokes about getting a horse, etc..
Well, making lemon juice...from those 'lemons' was kinda fun.
I got them to daily push that coupe, in gear, and sometimes with bakes on..to start it ! Aahh good ole days,eh !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote