Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
bikemaniac

Smile Hole in radiator overflow pipe

Hi,

My radiator overflow pipe has a hole in a very unpleasant spot. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it (see red arrow in picture)? I was thinking of some epoxy putty, but it is really difficult to work down there in that tight spot.

Moreover I: Should I maybe accept the hole and leave it as is? I guess the hole results in a water level being approx 1 inch lower than normal. Would that be a problem?

Moreover II: What would happen if I would fully close the overflow pipe on the outside by pinching it? Can water be relaesed through the cap - however it will not look so pleasant and beautiful?

Lucas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator overflow pipe.JPG (278.9 KB, 158 views)
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Hole in radiator overflow pipe

1" lower than normal? Probably not a problem. Maybe where you might run the water level just to minimize loss through the overflow pipe - if it were normal?

In this case I might try some electrical shrink tubing. Put on and use a small torch or heat gun to shrink the tubing. (Be careful that you don't melt the solder on the rest of the radiator.)

Otherwise I think the only solution is to have the overflow tube replaced. This shouldn't be a big deal job since it likely can be done without removing the tank. (although the whole radiator will probably want to be brought into the radiator shop.)

Joe K
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
colin1928

Thin wall brass tube with epoxy like JB pushed down the inside of the overflow pipe
you can get short lengths from hobby suppliers
reducing the I D a small amount will not effect normal function

Last edited by colin1928; 07-17-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: add
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

DON'T pinch the overflow tube shut!!! You'll BLOW UP the radumator!! The radumator cap should be sealed TIGHT & WON'T release ANY pressure!!!!
Bill W.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
[email protected]

Glue in a plastic McDonald's soda straw inside the tube. Use a glue like Seals All. This should be a long term temporary fix until you need other work done on the radiator and the excuse to replace this overflow tube..

If you do this and it works??? Then add this fix to the Farmer Fix thread.

51AVwFEje5L__AA160_.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
bikemaniac

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just did the electrical shrink fit tube. It was a brilliant result and water was not leaking anymore. However, then I messed everything up again: I have had problems with my brand new radiator cap from snyders which somehow disintegrated into all its components. While trying to fix it and with several attempts twisting the cap onto the radiator, the locking mechanism of the cap somehow managed to touch the very upper part of the overflow pipe and thus twisted it approx 90 deg counter clock wise. Now it is leaking again. The shrink fit tube could not take up this amount of twist :-(.

I have another radiator in worse condition but its overflow pipe seems OK, so I heated the joint with a torch and managed to get it out. Now I am speculating if I can remove the bad pipe from my radiator WITHOUT pulling the radiator out of the car ... and subsequently solder the other one in again. I am wondering if gravity is a problem.

Lucas
bikemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
1crosscut

I've use a combination of cotton t-shirt material and silicone caulk to fix leaks in chest waders, vinyl water back packs for fire fighting, hot tubs and yes a leak in a seam of my AA radiator.
Clean it up best you can. Cut a piece of cloth a bit over size to cover the failed area and rub silicone caulk into the material really well totally saturating it. Lay it over the crack / hole, work it in and let it cure. Stays flexible and sticks to just about anything permanantly. You will never have to deal with it again.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I would pull the radiator. It'll make the job easier and better.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Leon

It appears that the overflow tube is too long ( sticks up too far ) and that is why the radiator cap hits the tube. I bet that's why it broke in the first place.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote