Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Zeke...PA

Default Wide 5 rims

What size wide 5 rims are available ? Mine are 4". I want to use radials and do not want to go with Coker or Diamond Back $$, for a better ride. I can purchase 195/80R16 for $130 and see these are a radial replacement for 600X16 bias. I wanted to use slightly smaller on the front. Any advice ? If I go with bias I think I will use 600X16 front and 650X16 rear. This is on a 37 Tudor. Thanks Zeke
What radials will go on the 4" rims ?

Last edited by Zeke...PA; 06-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Zeke...PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
mike42

Default Re: Wide 5 rims

Zeke.....I'll be looking for this answer also, as I want to go to radials, but I still want White Walls, but maybe smaller white's

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

For a narrower rim the wheels from a '37-9 Standard (as opposed to deluxe) would have 3 1/2" wide rims. If you're in a hurry be prepared to pay dearly as these are not very common and in high demand by the traditional hot rodding community. They show up from time to time typically priced ranging $100-250 EACH, as compared to the 4" which usually go for $25-50. Condition and full set of clips will often make the difference. If you've got time then enjoy the hunt, there are probably any number of folks out there that don't know the difference who'd sell the wheels comparatively cheaply, but you'll have to search for them.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Fred A

Recently looking for race car components, I noticed that some wide(as in very wide) fives were available as 15". Unlikely what you have in mind, just notable.
Latest 1930s into 1940s the 3/4 ton wheels were wider fives to 5 1/2" but they are ugly and don't mix well with the passenger car wheels.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Mart

I thought the narrower wheels were on the V8-60 powered cars, rather than Standard models, as stated above.

Wider wheels may have been available on the Lincolns, not sure.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I thought the narrower wheels were on the V8-60 powered cars, rather than Standard models, as stated above.

Mart.
That is exactly right Mart, Uncle Bob is mistaken.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Uncle Bob

Yep, my brain fart, thanks for the fix.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
37slantback

Wow, my 5 nice 37 standard wheels and hubcaps might be worth a little more than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
For a narrower rim the wheels from a '37-9 Standard (as opposed to deluxe) would have 3 1/2" wide rims. If you're in a hurry be prepared to pay dearly as these are not very common and in high demand by the traditional hot rodding community. They show up from time to time typically priced ranging $100-250 EACH, as compared to the 4" which usually go for $25-50. Condition and full set of clips will often make the difference. If you've got time then enjoy the hunt, there are probably any number of folks out there that don't know the difference who'd sell the wheels comparatively cheaply, but you'll have to search for them.
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Uncle Bob

Hope you saw the correction about it needing to be V8 60 wheels................and yes........I do accept commission payments.....
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
37slantback

Thanks! I guess I will leave them in the shop. The wife likes the look of the whitewalls and the hubcaps anyway. The spare still has the tire store sticker on it.
37slantback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
TonyM

I have a real nice blue V-8 / 60 wheel with clips in storage. Original finish.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
timcharles

I have one wide 5 rim that is 17 x 4 . Is it a ford rim? Do any other makes have wide 5 rims? Anybody need it? It has the hubcap clips on it .

Last edited by timcharles; 06-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
timcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
FordMike

I was always under the impression that the 3/4 ton trucks of that era had wider version of the standard car wide five wheels. I have not seen any of them in person but they seem to be rare and quite valuable. I am not sure what size radials you could run but I just put fit a 7.50-16 on my 4 inch wide five rim without any trouble. Maybe this is far fetched but if you have more time than money you could always drill or cut the center out of a wide five wheel and weld it into a wider rim. A buddy of mine did that years ago and his wheels are still going strong.
FordMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Uncle Bob

There were a variety of wide five wheels for different applications. If I recall correctly the 3/4 ton trucks had a 5" wide rim on 16". The 1 tons had a split rim type, didn't have the vents that some call "artillery" but rather 4 small vents between center and rim, those were possibly 17". Then there was an 18" called a "high clearance" wheel for bigger diameter tires. This ebay sale ended yesterday, might be of interest to some, especially any who doubt how crazy the pricing can get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-18-Wide...p2047675.l2557 (had nothing to do with a Divco truck, I suspect the seller just added that for search purposes)

As for making variations, I had a pair of 6" wide rims mounted to stock centers for the back of my '36 three window for a larger tire and to give a better fill to the fender opening.