Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
B.SUTTON

Default Wheel Swap Help

If this has been covered here before, I couldnt find it. I have a set of '40 Ford 16" disk style wheels that I'd like to swap on my otherwise stock A from time to time. I know of the spacer issue when putting A wheels on '40 brakes, but I want to do the opposite. I've heard that there are roadblocks to doing this as well - center of disk wheel contacts raised support area on center of hub.

Anyone out there done it before? What has to be done? Spacer of some sort under the lug nut holes? Are the stock A wheel studs too short to do this?
B.SUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
B.SUTTON

Default Re: Wheel Swap Help

Anybody? Certainly someone on here has done this before. I'm not looking to build a hot rod. Just change the look of the car a bit depending on my mood.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
CarlG

It's been 50 years since I did that, but I don't remember having to use any spacers or anything, the wheels just bolted up.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
tdlmomowers

I don't know for sure, but my Dad told me they used to run 39 wheels on a Model A speedster that Grandpa raced with some guys in a field when Dad was a kid.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I have used later style disc wheels on model A's, like early fifties mercury and later Ford truck wheels. I never used a spacer and never had a problem. Every time that I have seen this come up, several people always chimed in that the spacers were necessary. I never and still don't see the need. I wouldn't want anybody to do this, then have problems and blame me. Its your call. I did this back in the sixties. I now only use the correct wheel for the year of mfg. , that is except my sept. 29 fun strip down. I am running 15 inch disc.aluminum wheels with no spacers, for the cool hot rod look. I ran mercury wheels on it in the sixties with spun aluminum disc hubcaps. I still have this car, same original engine after all these years.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I have used later style disc wheels on model A's, like early fifties mercury and later Ford truck wheels. I never used a spacer and never had a problem. Every time that I have seen this come up, several people always chimed in that the spacers were necessary. I never and still don't see the need. I wouldn't want anybody to do this, then have problems and blame me. Its your call. I did this back in the sixties. I now only use the correct wheel for the year of mfg. , that is except my sept. 29 fun strip down. I am running 15 inch disc.aluminum wheels with no spacers, for the cool hot rod look. I ran mercury wheels on it in the sixties with spun aluminum disc hubcaps. I still have this car, same original engine after all these years.
I am glad you never had a problem. I was riding in a friends Model A when he had a problem. The wheel came off taking much of the rear fender with it. Fortunately no damage was done by the tire and rim as it rolled down the street. You need a ring. The Model A hubs have a raised area and this will contact the rim first and leave it unsupported on the outside. Call around the suppliers until you find something.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
mrtexas

The problem requiring spacers is when using Model A wheels on 40/48 drums. The Model A drum has a necessary raised ridge that the later drums lack.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Kahuna

I'm with Purdy. Never had any problems
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I am glad you never had a problem. I was riding in a friends Model A when he had a problem. The wheel came off taking much of the rear fender with it. Fortunately no damage was done by the tire and rim as it rolled down the street. You need a ring. The Model A hubs have a raised area and this will contact the rim first and leave it unsupported on the outside. Call around the suppliers until you find something.

Charlie Stephens
Just took off a set of 16" 40's solids and put some 16" 35' wires on my 28'.

There is a fit problem as Charlie has said. You can use a ring or maybe even some washers but the studs will also be short and you will not be able to get the lugs on all the way.

The center hole on the later wheels is smaller then the wheels of a the original model a. So the later wheels touch on the drum in the center and do not lay flat on the lugs (outer drum)

I made a template on the computer for a plate that could have been cut out on a plasma table. But just thought all that trouble and it still would need longer studs swagged in. Not worth it for me.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
The problem requiring spacers is when using Model A wheels on 40/48 drums. The Model A drum has a necessary raised ridge that the later drums lack.
I think this is what he is talking about. Description is in Sacramento's catalog:

05199-8

WIRE WHEEL SUPPORT FLANGE (not single ring design)

Use when mounting wire wheels on cast iron drums (hydraulic brake conversions, early wheels, late brakes). Allows wire wheel to bolt flush against drum face. Prevents wheel flex. 2003V P.405, 211A P. 406
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05199-8.jpg (8.3 KB, 10 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Tinker

People do run them with the limited stud space but I'm not going to suggest it. Do what you feel comfortable with. It's definitely been done.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

I have never had a problem with the length of the lugs. I used modern lug nuts with the mercury wheels and the lugs would protrude through the lug nuts when tightened. I'm not sure about the center hole in late model ford truck wheels but the older truck wheels from fifties and sixties half ton trucks fit my drums well. I do have some used drums with shorter lugs in my parts collection. There is really no way of knowing what length of lugs may have been used as replacement parts over the past 80 years. I still make no recommendation of what anybody should or should not do.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
B.SUTTON

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and opinions. Sounds like I will have to try it out for myself and see if my wheels seat properly and if I have enough stud length. If anyone else would like to share their experience on this topic, please feel free to chime in!!!

Thanks again
-Brian