Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
klawockvet

Default Current Thoughts on SoCal Engine Builders

Looking for references for reputable builders in Southern California who build fully balanced touring motors with inserts instead of babbitt.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Gil Sissons

Default Re: Current Thoughts on SoCal Engine Builders

If you would like to pm me I would be happy to share my experience with
one of the well known SoCal Model A engine builders.
Not comfortable posting on line.
Gil NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
CarlLaFong

never mind

Last edited by CarlLaFong; 11-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
CWPASADENA

If you would like to PM me, I will recommend who NOT to go to here in So Cal.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
CarlG

If I can go to Texas for an engine, surely you could.

I will join others in who NOT to go to in SoCal
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
waxhead

Could someone please PM me this info on who not to go to??Thanks in advance
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Could someone please PM me this info on who not to go to??Thanks in advance
P.M. sent. And I agree with Carl and the others.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
webb452

I have no problem saying they are talking about H & H. If you have a running H & H engine it leaks oil like crazy. If you have a running H & H engine it won't be running long. Their quality control and attention to detail is nonexistent. And on top of everything else they will lie to you.

Stay away from them!!!!
webb452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
klawockvet

I actually can go anywhere in the world, but since I have the car in the California desert it would be easiest to take it to a shop that does quality work on Model A engines with balanced rotating assemblies and counter balanced cranks with insert bearings. I really didn't mean to start another bashing session on H&H. When I posted an inquiry years ago about H&H I was deluged with people who had bad experiences. That resulted in my going elsewhere. The engine I got elsewhere has made about 6K miles and is coming apart. I am not going to reveal who I got that motor from as I believe he does good work and I've lived long enough to know that if has wheels or tits it can have a come apart at any moment. However, I drive this car a lot and I don't have time to get a flathead in it yet, so I need to get it quickly back on the road. So, I will expand the question to include South and Central California looking for good reviews on a shop that will work on my current engine. Since I believe my crankshaft bearings are the problem I am going to definitely go with inserts and a counterbalanced crank. Please either post or PM with any positive reviews. Thanks,
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
ursus

I see more mention here of that SoCal outfit that a friend referred to as Hatchet & Hammer.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
Railcarmover
BANNED

So basically you guys own cars but don't do your own work..that's cool, if you have the benjamins why not use them...that being said why destroy a cat who's trying to make a buck servicing the hobby?.caveat emptor is latin for 'let the buyer beware'...the key word in this line is buyer....whoever the tribe chooses to condemn is unable to defend themselves, whether right or wrong..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
I actually can go anywhere in the world, but since I have the car in the California desert it would be easiest to take it to a shop that does quality work on Model A engines with balanced rotating assemblies and counter balanced cranks with insert bearings. I really didn't mean to start another bashing session on H&H. When I posted an inquiry years ago about H&H I was deluged with people who had bad experiences. That resulted in my going elsewhere. The engine I got elsewhere has made about 6K miles and is coming apart. I am not going to reveal who I got that motor from as I believe he does good work and I've lived long enough to know that if has wheels or tits it can have a come apart at any moment. However, I drive this car a lot and I don't have time to get a flathead in it yet, so I need to get it quickly back on the road. So, I will expand the question to include South and Central California looking for good reviews on a shop that will work on my current engine. Since I believe my crankshaft bearings are the problem I am going to definitely go with inserts and a counterbalanced crank. Please either post or PM with any positive reviews. Thanks,
Have you heard about Turlock Machine? I think that is the name of the company. Joe Silvil, I think his name is. I have heard a lot of good info on him. He is located in Turlock and I have no affiliation with him. Just passing this along. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVhdz10RRc
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #13
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Have you heard about Turlock Machine? I think that is the name of the company. Joe Silvil, I think his name is. I have heard a lot of good info on him. He is located in Turlock and I have no affiliation with him. Just passing this along. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVhdz10RRc
[email protected]...
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #14
SSsssteamer

I have bought a couple of rebuilt engine from H & H in La Crescenta located near Pasadena. I have been able to pick up an engine with in 30 days of placing my order. The touring engines have all modern innards, and they have quite a bit more torque than the original model A Ford engine. I was happy with their pricing too. The first engine I purchased was a long block, and the second engine I purchased was a short block. Neither one of them leak any oil. I have about 6 K miles on the first engine and about 500 miles on the second engine. The engine balance on the second engine was better than what was done on the first engine. I still am a happy camper, and I would purchase another rebuilt engine from them if needed. I once had a model B engine rebuilt by a reputable engine re-builder and it took over two years before he finished it. Anymore, I am getting too old to have to wait that long for an engine rebuild.

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 11-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I have bought a couple of rebuilt engine from H & H in La Crescenta located in Pasadena.
La Cresenta is NOT in Pasadena. It is a completely separate city 8 miles Northwest of Pasadena.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
denniskliesen

It would be nice to have confidence is a rebuilder that is local where I could have drove to and drop off my engine, but the confidence just wasn't there plus I didn't want to have to wait. I have found a few other rebuilders mentioned recently, but they either are not able to give a lead time, or they have never done a Model A engine but are willing to try. One of them specializes in high end antique cars. To my understanding AER. Antique Engine Rebuilders rebuilt Model T engines in the past, not sure about other makes and years, but they now only rebuild Model A engines, so that gave me a big vote of confidence. Back to the rebuilder in Southern California that gets near all the mention, I had a member of a local club tell me H&H does alright, they might have a problem with one out of thirty well thank you for the information but I'm not going to take the chance of not being that one of thirty. Back to AER, they have competitive and reasonable rates, honest and when you get a quote, they stick to it. They have shipping rates with FedEx nobody can beat. You build your own crate from plans they give on their website, and their lead time is reasonable, at least for me as it gave me time to get other repairs needed on my car such as steering and front suspension. I also had all of my parts that I put back on cleaned up and ready to go to build from a short block. Bert's in Denver would have been my second choice if their lead time and shipping would have been better. I know this might be off the original question asking who to go in SoCal, but it was well worth sending mine to AER.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
Phil Brown

[QUOTE=SSsssteamer;1551239]I have bought a couple of rebuilt engine from H & H in La Crescenta

I'am with SSsssteamer here on this one, Got two of there touring rebuilds and have been very happy with them so far (one's fairly new with lower mileage and the other is at 5000+ miles). They delivered on time good running engines that don't leak or burn oil and make good power for a reasonable price.
I would not be afraid to use them a third time.
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
Kahuna

Phil Brown
What is a reasonable price in your opinion?
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #19
glenn in camino

All you need is some reputable guy to do the babbit and line boring. If you have Les Andrew's book, and a good machine shop, you can do the rest yourself. A model A engine is not complicated, They're very simple. I've done 3 with good results. Go for it!
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #20
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Phil Brown
What is a reasonable price in your opinion?
Thanks
Jim
With the light flywheel / pressure plate & Thomas head it was just shy of $4000 a few years back. The last motor was the same except we put the Winfield head on it and it was a little over the $4000
Both started as there touring short block and we got the same block back both times because they go in there #'s matching frames
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote