Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #21
zzlegend

Default Re: 1927 roadster deck lid hinge and mounting question?

Deck lid gaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dl13.jpg (55.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg dl14.jpg (70.4 KB, 15 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #22
Brent

Thank you, so so so much.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #23
zzlegend

Your welcome Brent. Hope these help you.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Brent, yes I do think that picture is incorrect. Check mine and see what you think.

After seeing this pic, I see that hinge is correct but because I don't have the stock lid "skeleton" and whatever/however that first set of rivets mounts to (the ones toward the hinge), I had only one area to put fasteners.

I am going to double check but I think I'm set up right.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
zzlegend

Brent, its hard for me to tell. but if it seems to work, them I would leave it. My other roadster did not have a deck lid and I bought one from Howells sheet metal. Mistake? Probably. It did not fit for s--t. I had to open all the seams and reshape them and do a lot of other work on it. It over lapped the top body panel by a 1 /2" and the bottom seam looked like it was smiling. Although after it was reworked and when I installed the hinges it turned out ok. It looks like you are making yours to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big tire 1.jpg (76.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (58.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #26
Brent

Mine was a Howell's, too, which is why we scrapped the stock frame and fabbed a new one. Like yours it had to be completely reworked to fit.

Here's the only pic I could find, at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dlidrs.jpg (21.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #27
zzlegend

Looks good Brent. Are you going to Bonneville since you live close?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #28
kyle paul

Quote:
Brent and Kyle, see if these help you.
Zzlegand This was the exact angle I wanted to see . I got my hinges mounted right judging by the pics. How ever i do not understand what the second piece of metal that connects to the hinge and the deck lid is? It is on the side of the hinge with 4 rivets in the pic . Is it some sort of filler or retainer for a seal?. I think these pics will help out a lot .You do not see to many stock decklids in these parts or even pictures of them for reference . thanks again Kyle

Last edited by kyle paul; 08-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.
kyle paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #29
Brent

Quote:
Looks good Brent. Are you going to Bonneville since you live close?
I should have been out there Friday after work but had to put in a couple extra hours. I'm hoping to spend a few hours out there Saturday.

Kyle, I think that's the lid skin wrapped over. The hinge looks like it's riveted to the frame and to the skin "return."
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #30
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle paul View Post
Zzlegand This was the exact angle I wanted to see . I got my hinges mounted right judging by the pics. How ever i do not understand what the second piece of metal that connects to the hinge and the deck lid is? It is on the side of the hinge with 4 rivets in the pic . Is it some sort of filler or retainer for a seal?. I think these pics will help out a lot .You do not see to many stock decklids in these parts or even pictures of them for reference . thanks again Kyle
Morning Kyle. That piece you are asking about is a separate piece of angle iron, that I assume ford used as a brace to strengthen the deck lid. If you look at the pictures you will see it is the full width of the deck lid. It was then waffle head riveted to the inner skin first. You can see where I marked it with blue tape and hopefully you can barely see the rivet heads. There are five total to hold it to the inner skin. Then if you can picture opening the deck lid, they riveted to the hinges with two waffle head rivets each but the other two that look like rivets are actually screws. If you look at post 9, pictures 3, and 5 you can probably see them. When I did the howells deck lid on my green roadster, I added a piece just like this on it. So if you can picture opening up the side seems, and the rear seam, and separating the outer and lower skin, that angle piece would remain on the lower or inner skin.
One more point of information, if you need it. The angle iron that faces up and gets riveted to the inner skin, is app. 3/4". But the one that is riveted to the hinge side is 1". In other words 3/4" by 1" angle.
And you right. You don't see many stock deck lids. I think the farmers s--t canned them to carry there firewood,,,,,,,,or sheep.

Made a couple of corrections. Sorry if you read this prior to my corrections. I kept using outer skin wording when it was really the inner skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dl18.jpg (65.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg dl19.jpg (65.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg dl20.jpg (34.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by zzlegend; 08-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #31
kyle paul

thanks for the info again . i was thinking last night it may be a drip rail .
kyle
Quote:
Morning Kyle. That piece you are asking about is a separate piece of angle iron, that I assume ford used as a brace to strengthen the deck lid. If you look at the pictures you will see it is the full width of the deck lid. It was then waffle head riveted to the inner skin first. You can see where I marked it with blue tape and hopefully you can barely see the rivet heads. There are five total to hold it to the inner skin. Then if you can picture opening the deck lid, they riveted to the hinges with two waffle head rivets each but the other two that look like rivets are actually screws. If you look at post 9, pictures 3, and 5 you can probably see them. When I did the howells deck lid on my green roadster, I added a piece just like this on it. So if you can picture opening up the side seems, and the rear seam, and separating the outer and lower skin, that angle piece would remain on the lower or inner skin.
One more point of information, if you need it. The angle iron that faces up and gets riveted to the inner skin, is app. 3/4". But the one that is riveted to the hinge side is 1". In other words 3/4" by 1" angle.
And you right. You don't see many stock deck lids. I think the farmers s--t canned them to carry there firewood,,,,,,,,or sheep.

Made a couple of corrections. Sorry if you read this prior to my corrections. I kept using outer skin wording when it was really the inner skin.
kyle paul is offline   Reply With Quote