Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default Full Front Suspension Rebuild

When I bought this car in May I thought I had purchased a completely restored car. I now realize that is not the case. I'm glad the body looks good, though, as body work is not for me. I'm considering going through the front end (maybe even new axle) this Fall/Winter. Is there a good thread on here that would point me to what all I need to buy? This is a '28 Sport Coupe.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: Full Front Suspension Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
When I bought this car in May I thought I had purchased a completely restored car. I now realize that is not the case. I'm glad the body looks good, though, as body work is not for me. I'm considering going through the front end (maybe even new axle) this Fall/Winter. Is there a good thread on here that would point me to what all I need to buy? This is a '28 Sport Coupe.
I’m just completing a full front end rebuild on my 29 Sport Coupe.

I don’t know if there’s a single thread that covers everything, but I took it in steps, and I’m sure you will find threads on individual front end sub assemblies. Here’s a summary of what I’ve done:

1. Rebuild front spring - removed, separated leaves, ground ridges off individual leaves, cleaned and painted each leaf, greased and reassembled. No spreader needed to remove or reinstall, although a big C-clamp is handy for reassembly and installation of shackles.

2. New spring shackles and bushings

3. New king pins and bushings. Had to replace one spindle.

4. New steering arms with new balls, new short pitman arm with new ball. Got these from Snyders.

5. New internal parts for tie rod and drag link - I used the kit with bronze seats from Mikes Affordable parts.

6. Front brakes - new roller tracks, new woven linings, new springs, new actuator arm shafts, new V-wedge and operating pins. Front brakes on this car had significant wear on all parts.

7. New press-in grease fittings on all parts.

8. New Timken bearings and races on both front hub/drums.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
john in illinois

Model A Ford Mechanics handbook volume 1 by Les Andrews Will give step by step what to check and how to fix it. Snyders or vendor
Jim did a complete job and it will last as long as most of us and be trouble free.

John
Old 09-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

It's probably better to take a look and see what it really needs.
Have you pulled a drum to look?, jacked it up and wiggle wheel--- there may already be a lot of new parts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #5
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
It's probably better to take a look and see what it really needs.
Have you pulled a drum to look?, jacked it up and wiggle wheel--- there may already be a lot of new parts
We’ve had both front drums off and spindles, too. There is some slack where the king pin drops into the axle. Is that bad? How much of that disappears with the locking pin? I think I’m also getting a false reading with the brakes while I’m trying to set the bearings. The steering is extremely stiff!
Old 09-10-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Wick

Replace the front spring! That spring is 90 years old,grinding the ends,grease and paint just make it pretty. Check the Ball where it connects to the Bellhousing. Check for cracks in the front crossmember.
Make sure steering box is tight to the frame. Make sure axle is straight.
All these are the little details people skip over. When done right you will be impressed how well a Model A steers.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Replace the front spring! That spring is 90 years old,grinding the ends,grease and paint just make it pretty. Check the Ball where it connects to the Bellhousing. Check for cracks in the front crossmember.
Make sure steering box is tight to the frame. Make sure axle is straight.
All these are the little details people skip over. When done right you will be impressed how well a Model A steers.
This is really good advise. Replace that spring.

Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
This is really good advise. Replace that spring.

Good luck.

Is that hard or just really involved? Where do I get one?
Old 09-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
Is that hard or just really involved? Where do I get one?
Check with the suppliers. They all list them. If you can, buy a USA made spring. Don’t look just for the cheapest, get the best you can afford. You will only be doing this once.

Think of your favorite chair, the one you sit in every night watching TV. Now imagine that same chair after 90 plus years of you sitting there 24/7.

New springs and good shocks along with a correctly rebuilt front end, brakes, tires, will make all the difference in the world.

When you remove the front spring, it is not much more work to drop the whole front end. Now you can take your time and look at everything. Again, don’t be cheap. If it’s not right or it’s worn, fix or replace.

It is really not that big a job. Just take your time. These cars were made to work on at home or on the road. There simple.

Please just take your time and if needed ask questions.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Rob Doe

Contact Travis at A-Springs.com. American made and I'm pretty sure he supplies the vendors. He'll tell you how to get it ready to install and send a page of instructions. I just bought and installed a front spring from him. I'll be doing a rear soon. Luck to ya.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
gdmn852

One of the hardest things to remove are the spring spindle where they mount thru the front axle ,usually they are worn in the spring shackle bushings some people weld and repair the bushing holes instead. The red book by Andrews is informative.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Dirtrack49

I have spent the last two years and 1500 plus miles attempting to make my "Restored" Town Sedan safe to drive and function properly.

I too, bought a car that was very well painted with a nice new clean interior. This car looked like new in every way. According to the owner, "fully restored."

My 2 cents worth. Make sure you go through every item that pertains to safety on your new to you "restored" find. I am currently working on the rear axle assembly that was holding the wheels, drums and hubs on with a split pin! It would be easier to list how many things that are correct on my vehicle versus the numerous dangerous items that I have found in the past two years.

Before you go on to a project like your rebuild of the front end, I hope you have taken the time to check out everything that would make your car safe.

Les Andrews book Vol I, and the great folks that you find on this forum, have made all the difference in the world.

Take your time and do it right.

Tom L.

Last edited by Dirtrack49; 09-12-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
flybob08

I too bought a “100%” fully restored model A only to find that it had a paint job and upholstery and not much else. I can’t even begin to tell you how many bolts and nuts I have put on the car, including about 1/3rd of the body to frame bolts and how many worn out parts I have replaced. Currently, working on steering column and linkages.

Good luck with your cars!

Bob
flybob08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #14
Russell Reay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
Contact Travis at A-Springs.com. American made and I'm pretty sure he supplies the vendors. He'll tell you how to get it ready to install and send a page of instructions. I just bought and installed a front spring from him. I'll be doing a rear soon. Luck to ya.
Nice spring
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote