Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
53MERC

Default New member / 1st Post / 53 Mercury

Hi Everyone,
My name is Doug. I live in the Asheville, NC area, I just turned 60, and I know diddly-squat about Fords / Mercs. I've owned a lot of classics in my life, mostly GM, and mostly Pontiacs. My father and uncle used to sell Lincoln/Mercury's back in the 60's to early 70's in Northern Indiana. My brothers and I would hang out at the dealership on the weekends. Great memories!

I purchased a 1953 Mercury Monterey 4-door sedan last week from a local gentleman that has owned it for over 20 years. I'm pretty sure it has spent most of its life here in NC. I think the car is pretty original. It has aftermarket rims on it currently, but I also have the original rims and hubcaps too.
It runs great, but needs a few things to safely be road ready. I love the style of the car, and the weathered / faded look that it has, and will probably drive it as is. I only paid $3000 for it, so I'm pretty happy.

I have some questions (go figure) that I hope you guys can answer or point me in the right direction. I tried to load some photos but it kept coming back as "failed". Perhaps the photos are too big?

1) Are the two heads a mixed set? The drivers side says "Mercury EAC" on it, and the passenger side says "EAB6049D". Is the "EAB" head a Ford head and not an original, or is this the way it came originally in 1953?

2) The original radiator is leaking is a few spots. I am taking it to a repair shop next week to see if it can be fixed. I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it still being good.
Does anyone know who makes a radiator for a 1953 Mercury???
I've looked at numerous sites (Concours, Dennis Carpenter, etc.) but everything seems to be for the Fords, not Mercury.
Anyone out there own a 53' Merc that you have replaced the radiator on?

3) My gas tank is also the original. It is not leaking yet, but there is a lot of rust debris ending up in the glass filter. I see the previous owner had the carb rebuilt, but it was also noted to have the gas tank cleaned / coated.
Does anyone make a gas tank for a 1953 Merc?
What I am finding are tanks for 53' Fords, not Mercs, or other years but nothing for a 53' Merc. I guess they are different?

4) Does anyone make a drivers side front floor pan for the 53' Merc?
I'm running into the same thing as the radiator and gas tank as far as availability. I just need about a 15" square area where your feet would be on the floor, not a toe panel.

Thanks for any input you may have. I'm looking forward to hitting some local car shows with my green machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head1.jpg (88.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg head2.jpg (77.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg flatty small.jpg (94.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by 53MERC; 04-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.
53MERC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: New member / 1st Post / 53 Mercury

Welcome to the "Barn"! I can confirm that your car has a set of mismatched heads. You are correct in that an "EAB" head is from a '52-'53 Ford. If you are going to replace one, the "EAB"'s have smaller chambers so you will have higher compression if you can find one. Of course, If you are mainly interested in originality, get another "EAC".

As to the other parts, I am a "shoebox" guy and don't really know, but I always thought the '52-'53 Fords and Mercs are very similar and most of that stuff will fit either.

But, in the immortal words of "V8Coopman" : "What do I know?".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

#1 The head marked eab is a ford head, and likely was replaced somewhere in the cars life. It did not come that way #2 A good radiator shop should be able to repair it. If repairs to the core can not be made, if the tanks can be repaired, a new core could be installed by a competent radiator shop. ( had this done on my '51 Merc. several years ago ) I do not know of a source for a new radiator, but I am sure someone makes one. #3 I also do not know of a source for a new fuel tank, you might contact "shoebox Ford" look them up on the net. they sell 49-51 Ford stuff and some Merc stuff. they also have some stuff for other early Fords and may know where to direct you. If the tank is not bad, again, a good radiator shop should be able to clean and repair it. some do the coating , some do not. #4 Try EMS they have Sheetmetal patches for many early '50's Fords and may have some for the Merc.'s I hope this helps you.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
Alaska Jim

Tubman beat me to the answer
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Welcome to the "Barn"! I can confirm that your car has a set of mismatched heads. You are correct in that an "EAB" head is from a '52-'53 Ford. If you are going to replace one, the "EAB"'s have smaller chambers so you will have higher compression if you can find one. Of course, If you are mainly interested in originality, get another "EAC".

As to the other parts, I am a "shoebox" guy and don't really know, but I always thought the '52-'53 Fords and Mercs are very similar and most of that stuff will fit either.

But, in the immortal words of "V8Coopman" : "What do I know?".
Thanks for your help Tubman. I was afraid of that (mixed heads). Normally I am a stickler for originality, but I think I am just going to enjoy this Merc as is and not worry about the heads. Have a great week.
-Doug-
Old 04-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
#1 The head marked eab is a ford head, and likely was replaced somewhere in the cars life. It did not come that way #2 A good radiator shop should be able to repair it. If repairs to the core can not be made, if the tanks can be repaired, a new core could be installed by a competent radiator shop. ( had this done on my '51 Merc. several years ago ) I do not know of a source for a new radiator, but I am sure someone makes one. #3 I also do not know of a source for a new fuel tank, you might contact "shoebox Ford" look them up on the net. they sell 49-51 Ford stuff and some Merc stuff. they also have some stuff for other early Fords and may know where to direct you. If the tank is not bad, again, a good radiator shop should be able to clean and repair it. some do the coating , some do not. #4 Try EMS they have Sheetmetal patches for many early '50's Fords and may have some for the Merc.'s I hope this helps you.
Great info Jim. Thanks for the reply.
We have a few radiator repair shops around here so I will try both. I know one of them does not do gas tanks.
I will try "Shoebox Ford" to see if they can help on my gas tank.
I think I located a used patch panel that will work.

Alaska? You lucky dog. My wife and I took an Alaskan cruise a few years back. It was the best vacation we've ever had. What a beautiful place. It was unbelievable.
Be safe out there.
-Doug-
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
flatford8

www.shoebox-central.com
Welcome to the ‘Barn.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
corvette8n

Welcome:
A '53 Merc was the first automatic transmission car my father owned, it was a black & red 2dr. sedan, us 4 kids would pile in the back, he and mom in the front with a ski boat hitched on back and off to the lake we'd go.

RalphG on this forum has a '52 and a '53 Merc, he may be able to answer your questions, just private message him.

He also posts Merc. Videos on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/aZqmfTy4m5Y

Enjoy your Merc.
corvette8n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
TJ

Not sure if the '52-'53 Merc uses the same tank as the 54 Merc. I needed a new tank in a '54 and had to use a repo tank from a '57 Merc and relocate the fill neck. The neck needed to be tipped upward to make it come through behind the license plate. I found that no one made the tank for the '54. The problem with the Merc tanks is Ford put a felt type pad between the tank and the trunk floor. That pad absorbed moisture and it's common for those tanks to rust out from the top. My tank was solid as a rock on the bottom, but you could poke your finger through on the top.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
KiWinUS

Welcome 53Merc. Look for an old time radiator shop that has been around forever is what I have had best luck with. Any hood shop can replace with the correct core. Unless your tank has rust through another clean & coat is not to big of a job @ then your original tank should last for years. Enjoy your new ride.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
53MERC

Thanks Mark.
I went to that Shoebox-Central site last night and it has the following message:

Forums Have Been Deleted Due to Abuse by Spammers
Thursday, April 23, 2020 10:48:13 AM

I did send them an e-mail though.
Thank you.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
53MERC

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like some great memories in your Dad's Merc.
I remember my dad and mom driving me and my two brothers around in the country as kids trying to get us to fall asleep. At least thats what they said they were doing. Maybe they were looking for a spot to dump us? LOL.

I just watched Ralph's videos and also sent him a PM.
Have a great week,
Doug
Old 04-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
53MERC

Holy cow!!!! Thats good to know. I dread having to drop the tank now. I may be opening up a can of worms? Kind of like the rubber trunk mats they used to put in the 60's cars. It would keep the moisture trapped and rust the trunk floor out.
Thanks for the reply.
-Doug-
Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Welcome 53Merc. Look for an old time radiator shop that has been around forever is what I have had best luck with. Any hood shop can replace with the correct core. Unless your tank has rust through another clean & coat is not to big of a job @ then your original tank should last for years. Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try Sam's radiator in Asheville first. I know he's an old guy that has been in business forever. Fingers crossed.
Be safe out there.
-Doug-
Old 04-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #15
Ford Freak

Looks like a nice ride . Welcome to the Barn !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #16
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Looks like a nice ride . Welcome to the Barn !
Thank you. I'm glad to be here. I'm like a fish out of water with this 53 Mercury.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #17
RalphG

Hi Doug
I am sure jealous of that nice 53 you found. Looks very good from the photos. Mine is Canadian built of course and says EAC Canada on the heads (both sides). I've seen new body patch panels at EMS automotive. They have a youtube channel. I could use at least $1000 worth of new metal in my floor but maybe later. I've seen a new gas tank on ebay, supposedly to fit 52-53 Mercs. I can tell you for sure a Ford or Meteor tank will not fit without some modifications. I'm using an alternate fuel tank which we will not get into here as it does not meet the approval of some.
Took my first drive of 2020 on the weekend and shot a bit of video.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #18
paul2748

There are sites and organizations dedicated to Mercs. Do a google search for them

If your radiator has bitten the dust, here are a couple of manufacturers

U. S. Radiator
Champion Radiator
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Hi Doug
I am sure jealous of that nice 53 you found. Looks very good from the photos. Mine is Canadian built of course and says EAC Canada on the heads (both sides). I've seen new body patch panels at EMS automotive. They have a youtube channel. I could use at least $1000 worth of new metal in my floor but maybe later. I've seen a new gas tank on ebay, supposedly to fit 52-53 Mercs. I can tell you for sure a Ford or Meteor tank will not fit without some modifications. I'm using an alternate fuel tank which we will not get into here as it does not meet the approval of some.
Took my first drive of 2020 on the weekend and shot a bit of video.
Hey Ralph,
I was freezing my rear end off after watching your videos. LOL.
Thanks for the info. I noticed you had a gas tank sitting in the trunk of your 53 parts car. Is that the original tank? The reason I ask is, I've seen that auction on Ebay for the 52/53 Merc Monterey gas tank but since I'm new to these cars, I'm not 100% sure its the right one? I would hate to buy it, find out its the wrong one, and have to pay shipping to return it. If thats the original tank in the trunk of your 53, does the one on Ebay look to be correct? I just thought it was a bit odd that only that guy had these tanks and no one else seems to sell them.
What do you think?
Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
53MERC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
There are sites and organizations dedicated to Mercs. Do a google search for them

If your radiator has bitten the dust, here are a couple of manufacturers

U. S. Radiator
Champion Radiator
Great. Thanks Paul. I'm bringing my radiator in next week to a local radiator repair shop. There were two local places, but now I see one of them just went out of business.
If my old one is toast I will check out your two recommendations.
Thanks again.