Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
LeRoiGross

Smile Kick and Door panel attachments

I am restoring a 1929 Phaeton and am trying to install the kick panels and inner door panels. For the kick panels I see three 10-32 threaded holes on the cowl post near the hinges so I assume I use 10-32 oval head screws with cup washers in addition to the door stop strap screws. Are there any attachments at the front edge of the panel or does it just sit in the slot at the edge of the rail extension? Since the panel has a slight curve to it, it will want to jump out of the slot. How should I restrain it?
Around the edges of the inside of the doors there are ten 1/4 inch holes for attachments. Should I use the X spring trim retainers shown in the Ford Hardware and Trim catalog or use the cup sockets with spiral of ring shank nails as shown in the Snyder catalog (A-46126-R)? Or something else?
I am not trying to make a show car but while I am in there I might as well try to make it like the original. I have a few of all the old parts but not enough to tell what was originally used. My existing panels are not original as they were replaced long ago.
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Kick and Door panel attachments

The kick panels attach with the oval head screws and cup washers you noted. the panel fits against the firewall, and also into a U shaped metal retainer that is welded to the sub frame.
The door panels were originally held on with metal retainers and ring shank nails. The replacements are plastic retainers with ring nails.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Randy in ca

Here is what you need and where they go as far as clips to hold the top front of the kick panel in place. This clip is also used to hold some wiring. The bottom of the panel slips into a recess that's in the toe board support as shown.

As far as the 3 screws that go into the door post go, all I've ever seen originally used has been sheet metal screws as pictured.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kick panel retainers #1.JPG (33.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg kick panel retainers #2.JPG (70.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg kick panel retainers #3.JPG (68.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg kick panel retainers #4.JPG (59.7 KB, 76 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
LeRoiGross

Thanks Randy and Bill.
As soon as I saw the picture of the clip I knew that I had one but didn't know what it was. Took 2 days to find it but it fits and I will have to get a second one for the other side.
I finally got out my Restoration and Judging Standards and found answers to all my questions there in Chapter 12. Should have looked first.
Two hours after I ordered a batch of plastic cups and ring shank nails from Snyders I found my batch of brass nail retainers. So now I'm fixed up OK.
Of course I haven't fitted up my panels yet. Probably have to order new ones from LeBaron Bonney.
Thanks again.
Leroy
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote