Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
LeRoiGross

Default 1929 Phaeton Body

I am restoring my 29 Phaeton from the ground up. I am having trouble with repo parts for the body that I have to modify to make them fit. Such as radiator shell that is too thick and full length sills that are too short. Does anybody have and detailed diagrams of the body sheet metal with dimensions that show bolt hole locations? It seems there is a lot of info about the main chassis and the mechanical parts of an A but not much about the body and the best sequence for assembling it. Any original Ford blueprints? Bodies were made by other companies but I don't know who made the Phaeton body.
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Phaeton Body

Ford made the phaeton bodies, not Briggs, Murray or Budd. I am also restoring a 29 phaeton that was in terrible condition, as most unrestored phaetons are. Phaeton's, being one of the cheapest cars, were treated badly. For the reasons you stated, I used the original subrails, even though they were in very bad condition. I spent over two months welding up holes and damage to the subrails and cross sills. I reasoned that if I did that (saved them), the doors would fit as well as other items on the car. Like you stated, almost all repro sheetmetal parts don't fit right or look right, probably including the subrails and cross sills. Plus, like you stated, you have to figure out where the rivet and bolt holes are to be drilled, which isn't easy. If you use repro subrails, you will probably have problems with the doors fitting properly, which isn't easy, even with original parts used. My advice is unless the subrails and sills are totally beyond repair, try to save them, even though it might be considerable work. I don't know if there are any drawings available for phaeton bodies, but I suspect not.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 05-10-2017 at 06:58 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoiGross View Post
I am restoring my 29 Phaeton from the ground up. I am having trouble with repo parts for the body that I have to modify to make them fit. Such as radiator shell that is too thick and full length sills that are too short. Does anybody have and detailed diagrams of the body sheet metal with dimensions that show bolt hole locations? It seems there is a lot of info about the main chassis and the mechanical parts of an A but not much about the body and the best sequence for assembling it. Any original Ford blueprints? Bodies were made by other companies but I don't know who made the Phaeton body.
You can go through the Ford Archives and hopefully they have the blue prints. Just do not excpect something for nothing...they are not cheap (if they have them).

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
LeRoiGross

Thanks, Rusty,
I do still have the old sills and cross members and will probably use as much of them as I can. I just finished trimming my radiator mounts and front apron to try and get my shell to fit and not rub. Just takes a lot of work to get around poor parts.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
LeRoiGross

Thanks Pluck,
Do you have a link to the Ford archives?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Ford made the phaeton bodies, not Briggs, Murray or Budd. I am also restoring a 29 phaeton that was in terrible condition, as most unrestored phaetons are. Phaeton's, being one of the cheapest cars, were treated badly. For the reasons you stated, I used the original subrails, even though they were in very bad condition. I spent over two months welding up holes and damage to the subrails and cross sills. I reasoned that if I did that (saved them), the doors would fit as well as other items on the car. Like you stated, almost all repro sheetmetal parts don't fit right or look right, probably including the subrails and cross sills. Plus, like you stated, you have to figure out where the rivet and bolt holes are to be drilled, which isn't easy. If you use repro subrails, you will probably have problems with the doors fitting properly, which isn't easy, even with original parts used. My advice is unless the subrails and sills are totally beyond repair, try to save them, even though it might be considerable work. I don't know if there are any drawings available for phaeton bodies, but I suspect not.
Rusty Nelson

Actually, there is information that counters your statement Rusty. Evidently, the 35A body panels were developed by Budd Body, and likely some of the stampings were done by Budd too.

As for drawing at the archives, I have an assembly drawing (AF-120001) that gives some dimensions however you need many other assembly drawing to add with those to make up the body. The thing to realize is this was the drawing for export however certain dimensions still apply.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0637.jpg (26.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0639.jpg (39.1 KB, 91 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Tinbasher

Just so you know there's limited info on the bodies. So you have to work from what you have, pictures, drawings from other cars or whatever you can find. An original car is a big help to get the details. If you can rebuild what you have, use the frame as a jig to hold everything in place as you go. Make sure the frame is straight, level and square before you start.
Things I've learn't restoring Model A's over the last 45 years.

John Poole

Last edited by Tinbasher; 05-12-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Editing
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
wbs

rusty/ leroi-i'm currently restoring 28 phaeton and have body oarts off frame- don't know if 28 and 29 are identical but while body parts are off for now , i can give you some measurements tho some of the holes are rusted out also but will give it a try
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
LeRoiGross

wbs
I would think the subrails of a 28 would be the same as a 29. I am interested in the hole placement and dimensions for the side rails and cross rails underneath the body panels. For example, how far back are the B pillars located from the front of the side rails. And how long is the whole subrail assembly. Mine keep coming a little short of the rear bumper support bars. Also my repo radiator shell has a wide lip at the bottom which means I have to move the radiator forward half an inch to keep the shell from hitting the splash apron. This seems to change the whole length of the body since it now starts too far forward.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoiGross View Post
Thanks Pluck,
Do you have a link to the Ford archives?
Here you go:

6. www.TheHenryFord.org Benson Ford Research Center (Michigan)

Pluck
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
LeRoiGross

Pluck,
I went to https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...parts-drawings and got the whole story on how to get drawings. Now all I need to do is figure out the part numbers for my sub-rails and cross members.
LeRoi
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #12
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Here you go LeRoi:

A-35045
A-35050
A-35054
A-35039
A-35032
A-35033
A-35030
A035031

Now...go to the MAFFI site and look the numbers up. If you do not know anything about the Part numbers and how they work...I would learn before you start ordering JUST ANY part. There were changes as Ford moved along in the production.

For instance, there were 12 changes of some sort to A-35045 from Late 1927 through 1929.

The FIRST thing you want to do is get the Part Releases for each part, study them, and then determine just what drawing you might need. You can use this information to date your car. Sometimes the changes are very minor but you never know.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 05-18-2017 at 09:31 PM.