Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default 59 V8 rebuild, no oil pressure

Have my engine on a stand, is my intention to have it running on stand then transferr into car. Question, I get no oil pressure during turning it over, no plugs instd., engine ass'y by chap very knowledgeable, he assy'd lower end with oil pan attached, instd heads, cam, and lifters. Turning it over with 6 volt battery I get 0 on the mechanical gauge. I filled the oil filter and crank case, oil pump was primed with STP. Didn't fill oil hoses from filter to pan or filter to block. Chap who did work away on vacation, what can I check, where do I start, suggestions greatly appreciated, should it not show some level of oil pressure ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on std, no oil press.jpg (76.2 KB, 230 views)
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
flathead4rd

Default Re: 59 V8 rebuild, no oil pressure

I had the same problem once and the answer was to not fill the oil filter with oil. It seems it can cause and air lock. Try putting a new filter on it empty and crank it over.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Is that a plastic line to an out-of-view mechanical gauge? If so, looks like it's not filled with oil yet. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

A quick way to check the oil pump is to remove the oil sending unit from the top of the pump outlet. Pore in some trans/rear gear lub. cap outlet turn over engine. Pressure should come up if the pump is working.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
flatheadmurre

Not sure if itīs a 95% filtration or just spin-on conversion.
If itīs a spin-on conversion is the restrictor in place ?
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
40cpe

If it is a 95% filter system, make sure the oil from the pump goes to the inlet side of the filter. If the lines are swapped the backflow valve in the filter will stop the flow.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Capt Kirk

I think Murre and 40cpe are on to something. Wouldn't it be better to fit your mechanical oil gauge to where the oil pressure sender is installed?
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
OLD AS I

Thanks for all the comments here. Replies are, Jack E/NJ ...yes, thats a plastic line to mechanical gauge, no oil in at after turning engine over. flatheadmurre .... its a 95% filtration not just spin-on conversion, return line comes out of side of oil pan. 40cpe ....have line coming out of side of oil pan connected to in-flow of oil filter. captkirk .... have mechanical oil pressure gauge connected to outlet in block where it was originally for original electric gauge, tee'd into that outlet in block. Am hoping I dont have to remove oil pan to solve the issue,
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
OLD AS I

I'm not at my engine right now but thinking Ive done something STUPID, is the outlet at the block near the outlet for the pressure gauge the feed to the oil filter system, if so Ive got the oil filter lines reversed ? Am ashamed to ask this, if thats my problem old age has really hit me, IT SUCKS GETTING OLDER !
Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
40cpe

Just take the filter off and see if oil comes out of the filter base. If it does, it is connected backwards. If not, you have other problems.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
flatheadmurre

If itīs a full flow system pressure comes from pump out of the pan through oilfilter and into the block.
40cpe has the testing metod for you...just crank and se if you get oilflow.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Personally, I wouldn't use the bypass filter at all and would just put a gauge on the oil pressure port on the back of the engine there. If you do, you'll need the restrictor orrifice in the line to the inlet of the filter housing. If you bypass the filter then you still need a restrictor to keep the pressure up in the system. When you fill that filter canister, it slowly runs back into the pan by gravity flow so you don't really need to put any oil in there but you need to make sure you have enough to fill it in the engine sump so there is plenty of oil for the run.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Something's wrong here, never heard of a 95% system having any connection to the oil pan! And if it did no idea how it could possibly work!!! The oil goes from the oil pump through the filter and back to the main oil galley input. Any connection to the oil pan would just bypass the engine oil system and dump it all back into the oil pan.

If instead it is a full flow oil system, the oil would go from the oil pump through the side of the oil pan to the filter inlet. Then from the filter to the main engine oil galley inlet. You really need to know what type of system you are dealing with here!

My first guess would be a full flow system with the filter connections reversed.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The older engines are set up that way but later ones have the return flow fitted to the oil dip stick boss and the 8BA filter return is fitted to the side of the block just above the pan rail. This applies to the stock factory bypass filtration systems only

Most full flow set ups have a direct connection from the pump through the filter going through a bulkhead fitting in the oil pan then from the filter back through the opened up boss direct to the main oil flow port. The block porting has to be set up for that or it can bypass.

The 95% set ups generally have full flow from the pump to the rear main and the oil then flows out to the filter & back to the block. These also have to have the porting in the block properly directed to prevent oil starvation due to bypassing between the ports.

With that big line coming from the oil pan, it sort of looks like it's set up for full flow. If the oil is routed from the pump back to the pan then none of it will get through to the bearings. Full flow set ups usually open up the back boss on the back of the engine above the small OEM ports for oil pressure and filter feed. Something needs to be clarified on this so it gets connected properly.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-13-2017 at 01:44 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
Ronnie

Looking at your picture is it safe to say the line coming from the pan is hooked up to the oil pump as the pressure side of the pump.If this is correct looking at the spin on adapter the inlet port and outlet port appear also to be in the correct positions.
L/h port on adapter is pressure in and the other port is oil out to engine oil passages.
Do you have the horizontal passage in the block equipped with a set screw to isolate the other two passages? 95% passages don't utilize a pressure line on the pan.They do require a modified pump to now let the pressure port to be plumbed out the side of the pan.What was the system you purchased referred to be. Loosen the line on the pan and confirm oil flow out of the pump and let us know what you discover.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, looking at the photo it is definitely not a 95% system, the boss at the rear of the block is not even drilled. Must be a full flow style with the modified oil pump that routes the oil pressure out the side of the oil pan. That line would be the input to the filter, it would be the pressure line, not a return line. If not, then this setup will not work. The line going from the filter to the fitting where the original oil pressure fitting goes would be the oil feed to the engine oil gallery.

Like Ronnie (and others) have said, start at the oil pan fitting and see where you have oil pressure. Oil pan fitting, the filter input, then filter output, then fitting at rear of block.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
Lawrie

First thing I would do is take all the oil lines off,then crank the engine,oil should come out somewhere,on my FULL flow setup if I try to get the oil pressure with a full oil filter on a new motor,it takes a while,I remove the filter and crank until the oil is at the filter head,then fit the oil filter that I have first pre filled .
Another slow but good way is to fit a small funnel to the oil port where the gauge sender goes,fill that with oil,and turn the engine BACKWARDS,this will suck the oil into and prime the pump.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

$(KGrHqZHJC!E+ZueTi29BP515HSiEQ~~60_35.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Another slow but good way is to fit a small funnel to the oil port where the gauge sender goes,fill that with oil,and turn the engine BACKWARDS,this will suck the oil into and prime the pump.
Lawrie
Don't think that will work on this setup Lawrie. The passage between the gauge sender fitting and the oil pump should be plugged, otherwise the oil would just go in a loop.

A lot of assuming on my part here!!! but, assume it is this type of setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full-Flow-Oil-Filter-Pump-Kit-For-Ford-_1.jpg (32.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 1565722_orig.jpg (135.2 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-13-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
flatjack9

There is a lot of confusion here because you stated 95% system. It is not a 95% system, it is a full flow system. The instructions with the kit says DO NOT fill your filter before it is attached. As noted, as a check, remove the line where it exits the pan, crank the engine to see if you get oil. It might take a little time to prime the pump. I always crank the engine with the spark plugs out until I get pressure.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
I'm not at my engine right now but thinking Ive done something STUPID, is the outlet at the block near the outlet for the pressure gauge the feed to the oil filter system, if so Ive got the oil filter lines reversed ? Am ashamed to ask this, if thats my problem old age has really hit me, IT SUCKS GETTING OLDER !
You have them hooked up right. The oil flows out of the pump, out of the hose on the pan to the block. The internal passage in the oil pump is blocked, so all of the flow comes out of the pan.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote