Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Friday The 13th - Oregon & California Are Burning

Wednesday afternoon is when I hit The Smoke.

I stopped to get a couple tires just outside Eugene, Oregon for the trailer - it was mid morning and as it turns out - I was their last job for the day - the air quality was so bad they decided not to send service trucks out to do roadside semi truck tire repairs.

Another Wildfire - this time in Oakridge was turning the sky into early darkness.

What followed was 300 miles of the worst air I have driven in over the last 15 years as
I headed south - all the way to Redding, California.

Shasta Lake from the I-5 bridge at 11:30 am
earlier today ….

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C3F6134B-24E3-4517-8825-1E7AA8614AF1.jpeg (68.3 KB, 332 views)
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Friday The 13th - Oregon & California Are Burning

I've driven that very route a few times . . . makes me sad to see it like this. And to those who ponder if 'Global Warming is a Hoax' - pay attention for a bit (across the World) and decide what cause and effect you decipher from all of this. I have not doubt that we're dong all we can to make this place uninhabitable for us humans . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
Brian

Yes Dale... each one of us has every right to feel outraged at manmade global warming every time we fire up the engine in our car. We, all of us, here on the barn, that so love our Fords, are contributing to this. We're like lemmings, leaping off of the cliff.
Thing is...we're all contributing to this....
If I get banned from this site because of what I've just stated, so be it!
Old 08-14-2021, 04:33 AM   #4
Desoto291Hemi

I read recently where someone was arrested for starting several of these fires .
Many of the fires,,,,(by GPS ,,this person was tracked ),,,,and everywhere they stopped for a while ,,,,a fire soon developed.
A few years ago I remember where some volunteer firemen had started several fires in order to get paid to put them out .

There are bad people that do bad things as well !

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
1952henry

Well, if ALL the doom-dayers would walk the talk, that is give up all reliance on internal combustion engines and have a 100% green energy source (btw, that excludes storage batteries made of lithium, google it=mining and fracking); and of course, no copper from solar panels, then the speeches from the Boraxo boxes would be less hollow sounding

Last edited by 1952henry; 08-14-2021 at 04:40 PM.
1952henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

Weather ebbs and flows...like the stock market. Bans on thoughtful foresting in the west
as well as malcontents setting fires are a sign of our times. Mello Tones and Brockman's
and Halibrands playing my tune....drive on.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
4t8v8

We are dumb enough to think we control the world. HAHAHA. There has been radical climate changes since time began. Study the history of the planet. As Charlie said thoughtless foresting and malcontents are a sign of our times. If driving my flathead is ruining the world so be it. But stop driving yours if it makes you feel better. Then let me know how it effects the globe.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
We are dumb enough to think we control the world. HAHAHA. There has been radical climate changes since time began. Study the history of the planet. As Charlie said thoughtless foresting and malcontents are a sign of our times. If driving my flathead is ruining the world so be it. But stop driving yours if it makes you feel better. Then let me know how it effects the globe.
Couldn't agree more. We have made vast moves to improve air quality while the rest of the world does nothing.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Couldn't agree more. We have made vast moves to improve air quality while the rest of the world does nothing.

Finally .....A couple of folks that 'GET IT'!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Finally .....A couple of folks that 'GET IT'!

You can throw me in that camp. But remember, common sense is not a flower that grows in every garden.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Weather ebbs and flows...like the stock market. Bans on thoughtful foresting in the west
as well as malcontents setting fires are a sign of our times. Mello Tones and Brockman's
and Halibrands playing my tune....drive on.
Charlie ny
Exactly.

I recall in the 1970's back here in the Midwest when we were having HORRIBLE snow storms and blizzards and freezing weather, the worry wart news people were selling the idea that 'We are entering a NEW Ice Age be ready' and of course that was man made.

Now it is the opposite, but still man-made. Same old crap. Nature controls these things not people. If the elitists that run this world tell you that a Wolverine makes a family friendly pet are you going to believe them?

Look how much cleaner a 2021 car burns vs. a 1971 car. There is no comparison. Cars are vastly cleaner today than 50 years ago.

If you have a nice antique car and I mean NICE and are feeling guilty about owning it, then you need to sell it to me for scrap value so you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That will work for both of us.

Oh and I'm going to burn gasoline in it and run the heck out of it just so you know
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
chap52

Maybe God is trying to get our attention. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #13
Frank Miller

When Mark twain said, "Everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it" some people did not realize he was joking.
the climate will change, the issue is how much we are really influencing it?
When a volcano goes off in Indonesia and causes New England to get snow in June, the earth is really the one in charge here.
https://www.newenglandhistoricalsoci...hout-a-summer/
Old 08-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #14
bigd1101

I usually don't dive into the AGW debate. First, I'm not expert, no climate scientist, don't claim to be, never will, but being almost 70, I've decided the best place to live is here in upstate NY. At one time the wife and I wanted to get out of all this cold and snow. We looked at Calif, Arizona and Fla., maybe the Bahamas. Things changed.....the west wild fires got worse, bigger and more frequent. I lived there in San Diego when I was stationed there from 1970 to 74. I remember one fire there the whole time. I could smell it. A good friend moved there 40 years ago, he's getting out. He's had enough, watched his neighbors house burn to the ground, whole towns burn down. Then we thought Florida, cheaper, nice weather. My folks moved there in 1971. Sarasota. For 15 years before they passed away. I lived there briefly after I got out of the Navy. I remember one or two hurricanes in those 15 years. Maybe more, but never 2...three a year, never. The wife and I scratched that off the list. We thought about the Bahamas, until I saw what happened to Puerto Rico, and the Islands in the last few years. Scratched that off the list.

Now, is this all part of Mother Nature being Mother Nature? Maybe, maybe not, I'm not an expert. But I do know this.......until this "normal" occurrence ends, settles down, or pray to the Almighty, doesn't get worse, I'm staying put. You couldn't GIVE me a home in these areas of the globe. You all can debate about what or who is to blame, I'll put up with some snow, some wonderful temperate summers, fantastic springs, and brilliant falls, while the west burns up, and Fla. Texas, the south and the Bahamas, get blown away every hurricane season, record heat waves and floods pummel the rest of the country.

Last edited by bigd1101; 08-15-2021 at 08:22 AM.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #15
russcc

If you look at the history of Iceland, they have had volcanoes erupt there over the years that clouded Europe in acrid smoke for long periods of time. That is natures way. But people that set fires on purpose should be summarily dealt with.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
If you look at the history of Iceland, they have had volcanoes erupt there over the years that clouded Europe in acrid smoke for long periods of time. That is natures way. But people that set fires on purpose should be summarily dealt with.
True. To me it's a numbers game. Frequency of severe weather events and where those events effect human populations. In the past, like ice ages, shifts took thousands of years, for the most part and the world was vastly less populated. Like I said, there are places I would have lived, 20 or 30 years ago, but won't today. I would have NEVER lived in a natural flood plain regardless of a time frame. Tornado Ally is another area you couldn't buy me a house in. Everyone here is right......we can't beat Mother Nature, and she seems real pissed off lately. I'm just a pragmatist and these are my "observances" not opinions or an ideology, I'm driving the 53 until they say I can't.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #17
Planojc

Charlie NY nailed it.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yes Dale... each one of us has every right to feel outraged at manmade global warming every time we fire up the engine in our car. We, all of us, here on the barn, that so love our Fords, are contributing to this. We're like lemmings, leaping off of the cliff.
Thing is...we're all contributing to this....
If I get banned from this site because of what I've just stated, so be it!
If the rest of the world drove their cars, as often as we drive ours, this would not be an issue.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:19 AM   #19
Fortunateson

It's the speed of climate change that is the problem. Less time to adapt. In addition there numbers of internal combustion engines cars has outstripped th egains we have made in reducing auto related emissions. When countries who used to have the bicycle as their main in source of transportation for the masses now during cars and with huge populations what chance does the earth have? Now the people who are adding to the use of IC engined cars have come into a better standard of living and want to have the things the western world has enjoyed and who can blame them? Maybe Hydrogen, most numerous of all elements will same the day?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote