Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
frenchy dehoux
Senior Member
 
frenchy dehoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Posts: 519
Default Flathead V8 starters early / late style

I have a few starters and was wondering what year they maybe one of them has the wider aluminium space and the other one as you can see has a smaller style space. Also one of them has the shaft spiral going to the end and the other one the spiral stops half way. Any feedback is appreciated. The issue I am finding out is the starter that has the spiral stopping half way gave me a problem in the past where the starter would not engage the flywheel. I installed the other starter with the spiral going all the way to the end of the shaft was forced to engage the flywheel. If this is making any sense.

Thanks

Frenchy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead V8 starters 001.jpg (68.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead V8 starters 002.jpg (75.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead V8 starters 003.jpg (57.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead V8 starters 004.jpg (78.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead V8 starters 005.jpg (85.0 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by frenchy dehoux; 11-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
columbiA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,746
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

I think the starter used from 1951-up on auto trans cars was different from that used with std trans.That may explain the diff in your starters.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
frenchy dehoux
Senior Member
 
frenchy dehoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Posts: 519
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
I think the starter used from 1951-up on auto trans cars was different from that used with std trans.That may explain the diff in your starters.
Is one of these starters for an automatic.

Frenchy
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Henry/Kokomo
Senior Member
 
Henry/Kokomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 1,731
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

The one with the wider aluminum band looks identical to the one on my 59ab engine. If one starter is for an automatic transmission equipped car, I'd say it was the one with the narrower aluminum band. FWIW
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Wingfield
Member
 
Wingfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Puyallup WA
Posts: 49
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy dehoux View Post
Is one of these starters for an automatic.

Frenchy
No automatic starters mount different.
Could the one with the wider aluminum be a new reproduction?
Wingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.
Senior Member
 
Walt Dupont--Me.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gardiner Me.
Posts: 4,200
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy dehoux View Post
I have a few starters and was wondering what year they maybe one of them has the wider aluminium space and the other one as you can see has a smaller style space. Also one of them has the shaft spiral going to the end and the other one the spiral stops half way. Any feedback is appreciated. The issue I am finding out is the starter that has the spiral stopping half way gave me a problem in the past where the starter would not engage the flywheel. I installed the other starter with the spiral going all the way to the end of the shaft was forced to engage the flywheel. If this is making any sense.

Thanks

Frenchy
Both starters will work on 32-52 std trans engines. The one with the wide rear plate I believe is for 59AB and older engines, the the narrow plate starter has longer field coils and I believe has more power that the earlier ones. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
flatjack9
Senior Member
 
flatjack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oshkosh, Wi
Posts: 3,709
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

According to the parts books, the internal parts are all the same through the years, so all should have the same power.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.
Senior Member
 
Walt Dupont--Me.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gardiner Me.
Posts: 4,200
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
According to the parts books, the internal parts are all the same through the years, so all should have the same power.
You may be right Flatjack. I never checked them and I think I have both styles in my storage barn. I know I read that statement on the barn not long ago. But I guess you cain't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Chris Nelson
Senior Member
 
Chris Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Poulsbo, WA.
Posts: 356
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Frrenchy;
One of those starters came out of a 48 Ford sedan that I had and the other came out of a 49 Ford pickup that had the 8RT engine, same as the 8BA. I had to think about that for awhile before i could remember where those starters originated. Which is which is beyond me and I'm sure you will find out here on the forum.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
woodypecker
Senior Member
 
woodypecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 239
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

I have an 8rt truck engine with a starter that has the thin aluminum plate and it works.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
JWL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fitzgerald, Georgia
Posts: 2,016
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Yes, the thinner aluminum end plate came from the 8BA style engine. The wider for 59A and older engines. The auto trans starters I own have the same mounting as the stick starters but have a longer shaft. They can be converted for stick trans but it takes some work.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
frenchy dehoux
Senior Member
 
frenchy dehoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Posts: 519
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nelson View Post
Frrenchy;
One of those starters came out of a 48 Ford sedan that I had and the other came out of a 49 Ford pickup that had the 8RT engine, same as the 8BA. I had to think about that for awhile before i could remember where those starters originated. Which is which is beyond me and I'm sure you will find out here on the forum.
Thanks Chris for your donation I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Frenchy
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
FLA48
Senior Member
 
FLA48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Conroe TX
Posts: 170
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

I do not mean to start a fire storm, but all of the starters I have for my 59AB have the thin band (end plate). Could it be the wide band starter is an after market product as suggested by Wingfield? Just a thought.
FLA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
jerry grayson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 833
Default Re: Flathead V8 starters early / late style

JWL is correct, Thin ones are 8BA style. They will all interchange except for the auto tran ones.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.