Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #201
wrpercival

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
In the crankshaft photos, it appears there are two different shafts? ? Is this true?
Russ,

I followed up with John Lampl on your question. John manages the manufacturing details for the block, crankshaft, and connecting rods.

He indicated that the two shafts that are in the middle of the first (upper left hand) picture are not a part of the Model A production run. All are just in a queue for shot blasting and simply intermingled on a tree that is used as a part of that process.
wrpercival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #202
Terry Burtz, Calif

I spoke with John Lampl regarding the status of the new engine kits and there will be a delay due to a coal shortage at the power plants in China.

Do a Google search on "China energy shortage" or look at:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-flying-demand

John still expects that the 1st production run will ship in January 2021.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #203
Synchro909

That Bloomberg article does not mention the reason behind the shortage of energy in China, just that is exists. I'm sure you will have heard about the way China has placed high tariffs on Australian goods and banned others for flimsy reasons. One of the banned items is coal. It's not hard to follow the dots.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #204
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That Bloomberg article does not mention the reason behind the shortage of energy in China, just that is exists. I'm sure you will have heard about the way China has placed high tariffs on Australian goods and banned others for flimsy reasons. One of the banned items is coal. It's not hard to follow the dots.
Not good.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 02-17-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #205
Terry Burtz, Calif

Hello to All,

1 February 2021

New Engine Update

In case someone gets this email without seeing the full article on the "new" Model A engine, it is available at: http://www.modelaengine.com . This website also has engineering details, all of the previous updates, pictures, videos, and the latest "Builders Guide", "Doubling the Flow Area of a Model A Oil Pump", and "Installing an Oil Filter".

If anyone has a question, concern, comment, suggestion, or wants to get on the email list for updates, please reply to [email protected]. We will add your email address to our mailing list for updates and do our best to address any questions that you may have.

There have been several inquiries regarding the status and schedule for the new Model A engine kit (Cylinder Block, Crankshaft, and Connecting Rods).

We expected to have parts near the end of January 2021, but are running about 4 weeks late.

We placed a production order near the end of October 2020 with a promised delivery date near the end of January 2021.

The delivery date and quantity of new Model A engine kits from China (Cylinder block, Crankshaft, and Connecting rods) are both being impacted by problems that we have no control over.

The engine factory in China is huge and it has multiple machining lines. They recently received an order for 10,000 Mitsubishi engines. These engines will be manufactured on a line that has multiple special machines in series that is a modern version of the machining line seen in movies from the Ford archives.

Since our order is small, it has lower priority and is being manufactured on a line using CNC machines. The good news is that the factory will maintain the same Quality Assurance standards whether the order is big or small. The bad news is that our requested quantity will not be met.

After the production order was placed in October 2020, there has been an energy shortage in China, the factory where the flywheels are being manufactured is completely shut down because of a new Covid outbreak, and there is a shortage of shipping containers.

I spoke with John Lampl today and the New Engine Kits being shipped to Australia/New Zealand, and Europe will be delivered to the container yard this week, and the New Engine Kits being shipped to the USA will be delivered to the container yard on February 9th.

Terry Burtz
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #206
Russ/40

Are USA orders being taken yet?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #207
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Are USA orders being taken yet?
Hey Russ,
Yeah, been on list since knew of it, last year !
Terry is the BEST , and I trust his word and input in this matter !

However, a bad feeling creeps in that Terry and his supporters are MAYBE stuck in twilight zone, in this matter...again !

China is saying... no coal for energy ( for our goal); China fighting/penalizing Aust, ergo no coal from there; Biden says no coal production/sales effected !

Did I miss anyone ?

The various problems that have hassled Terry over these many years, seem to conspire against this great project !!

If Terry were not so persistent, well I got this bad feeling again.

If you dont know this mans’ loong journey to make something great for our hobby...then this won’t mean anything to you.

If you do know such...

Wow, how does one handle a supply problem... involving the World ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #208
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I’m on the list but I haven’t heard anything about when to pay, who to pay and the specific amount.

Are there enough kits being shipped to the U.S. for everyone on the list?

In addition, will those of us on the West Coast have the option to pick up the engine kit at a specific location instead of having it shipped?

Will those decisions be made and announced when the kits are physically on the shipping container?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #209
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I’m on the list but I haven’t heard anything about when to pay, who to pay and the specific amount.

Are there enough kits being shipped to the U.S. for everyone on the list?

In addition, will those of us on the West Coast have the option to pick up the engine kit at a specific location instead of having it shipped?

Will those decisions be made and announced when the kits are physically on the shipping container?

David Serrano
Hey David,
Do not have a clue.. about how many... and when ! Thats what current energy situ discussion is about, eh.
JOHN LAMPI: point contact man for orders !
As to specifics i.e.- when where etc, Terry has explained that he ‘expects’ (see latest report details) product Jan and now Feb due to details in report.
I’ve decided to pick up my item at local port (Long Beach I think) when/ if it arrives. Given choice to have it shipped to door, I took only other option.
Pay at door or at port when recd. Read thread. It gives the guy who is in-charge of taking orders.
Price depends on what you ordered:
I ordered blk, crank , rods and flywheel !
If in on first order... one set price. If in on subsequent orders( after first) price will be going UP.
Does any this help ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-02-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: ......
Old 02-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #210
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
This is exciting! Who's gonna be the first to hot rod it? Interested to see what kind of power it will be able to handle
Well, dont know what you call hot rod...but, Ive had a Cast Iron Geo Riley 4-port sitting in storage , just dying to see something worthwhile powering.
This just maybe her opportunity to shine !!

As far as what kind of power...depends how deep pockets are !
Old 02-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #211
Dave in MN

I am going to hop one up a bit.
I have a modified Roof head ready to go on the one I have on order. About two years ago, on a B block, it put out 118 hp at 3500 rpm but was underperforming between 1800 - 2600 rpm.
I don't run my engine up to 3500 rpm so I advanced the cam timing 4 degrees to increase lower end torque. The maximum hp was now 88 at 2800 - 3000 rpm and the torque was almost doubled from 1800 to 2600 rpm.
I am not sure how I will set/degree the cam on the new block yet...
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 02-04-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #212
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey David,
Do not have a clue.. about how many... and when ! Thats what current energy situ discussion is about, eh.
JOHN LAMPI: point contact man for orders !
As to specifics i.e.- when where etc, Terry has explained that he ‘expects’ (see latest report details) product Jan and now Feb due to details in report.
I’ve decided to pick up my item at local port (Long Beach I think) when/ if it arrives. Given choice to have it shipped to door, I took only other option.
Pay at door or at port when recd. Read thread. It gives the guy who is in-charge of taking orders.
Price depends on what you ordered:
I ordered blk, crank , rods and flywheel !
If in on first order... one set price. If in on subsequent orders( after first) price will be going UP.
Does any this help ?
Hardtimes,

Terry responded to me directly by e-mail and he answered my questions.

Thanks,

David
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #213
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
China is saying... no coal for energy ( for our goal); China fighting/penalizing Aust, ergo no coal from there; Biden says no coal production/sales effected !
Wow, how does one handle a supply problem... involving the World ?
There's something like a billion dollars or something worth of our coal that can't be delivered in ships sitting off China. It's been paid for, so no skin off our noses. Our coal is usually high quality and used for smelting. Also burns cleaner. There is still stuff like iron ore they can't get elsewhere due to covid and dams bursting in Brazil. Latest graph.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #214
Russ/40

I hear, southern California pick up is in Hawthorn, Ca.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #215
hardtimes

Hey updraught,
Thanks, very informative !
I’m from coal country (Pa)
Bituminous and Anthracite , are the two types od coal that earth gives up. One HARD hot burning... clean burning !
One soft crumbly dirty dusty. Less energy when burned. Cheaper , well used to be ?
Old 02-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #216
Benson

Is the open pit mine near Emlenton, PA still working?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #217
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
There's something like a billion dollars or something worth of our coal that can't be delivered in ships sitting off China. It's been paid for, so no skin off our noses. Our coal is usually high quality and used for smelting. Also burns cleaner. There is still stuff like iron ore they can't get elsewhere due to covid and dams bursting in Brazil. Latest graph.
I know it would cause downstream problems for the whole world for a while but how long do you think the Chinese Government would last if Australia stopped sending iron ore to them? Would a new Government be more reasonable? This matter affects not only our hobby but everything that comes out of China. IMO, It's high time we brought these jobs back and to hell with the accountants who only want to increase profits at whatever collateral expense.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #218
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Is the open pit mine near Emlenton, PA still working?
Hey Benson,
Don’t have an answer to that q.
Back when I lived in Pa , mining was done by digging shafts into earth... some for many miles deep !
Never saw pit mines back in 50s.
Tunneling was so hard on men, and on streams and surrounding areas.
Streams/rivers ran bright yellow/orange with sulfur,etc.

Any man who thinks/knows he has the toughest job in the world. I say wouldnt last a day, going down and working a coal mine.

Those men in our country... who made their living in coal mines... for our (USA) benefits, is a hero in my view and treated with respect !
Old 02-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #219
updraught

According to this, China is cutting its steel production as part of a green plan.
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/02...g-on-in-china/
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #220
Mike Peters

According to this, China is cutting its steel production as part of a green plan.
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2021/02...g-on-in-china/

Let me get this straight. China is angry with Australia, so they have stopped buying Australian Coal. However, China continues to buy Australian iron ore. Now, this past December the Chinese government has issued an order to Chinese steel companies to reduce steel production resulting in falling iron ore prices to Australia and elsewhere. All of this will be a job killer for Australia? What am I missing?
For what it's worth, Since last September, China has been buying large amounts of corn and soybeans from the US and elsewhere, resulting in surging grain prices world wide.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote