Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Bruce Newbery

Default Hagerty and Pelling Insurance

I live in Canada and was thinking of buying Hagerty insurance to drive across Canada and return through U.S.A . The trip would take 4 months. I was told they would not cover me because the car would be my daily driver. I have Hagerty insurance on my 29 Model A pickup. In the policy under Leisure use, it states:Leisure use means the described automobile is used exclusively for collector car activities,parades,and limited pleasure. This bothered me so I did more research and was totally surprised at the answers I got
I sent a email and they would not answer the questions I asked by email but only by phone. Basically he said unless it is a car club activity,you are not covered. You cannot use your car for daily driving,You cannot go on a trip and stay overnight in a hotel unless you are on a club event.There policy is very vague and open to many interpretations.No one would sign a business contract so vague.
My question is ,are the American Hagerty classic policy written so vague because if they are,I would think you could be sued for everything you owned
Bruce Newbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Hagerty and Pelling Insurance

Bruce, no insurance company wants to actually pay a claim, but I have been satisfied with Hagerty the one time I did have to make a claim. They are a good company for the hobby. You might also try GEICO. I don’t know if they insure internationally, but it would be easy enough to call them and find out. Maybe you could just insure it as a driver for six months, then cancel.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
TerryH

Bruce
I ran into the same situation with Grundy Insurance for my Model A. Good rates, and others raved about them, but then someone mentioned the daily driving. I called Grundy, and carefully explained my Model A driving. Not daily, but 2-3 times a week.....running errands, going to the store, going to the Post Office, just driving around for the fun of it. They then explained that their antique car policies are not for that kind of frequent use, nothing on a regular basis. That made no sense to me, on how I want to drive my car, so I switched to AAA. Have full coverage, agreed value, and no limitations on driving, except not to work daily. Since I am retired that meant nothing to me. I don’t think many A owners realize some of the limitations some of these companies have. Not saying they aren’t good insurance companie......they just can have limitations that may not work for you.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
WHN

I think you will find that antique car insurance is what it sounds like. Insurance for antique cars that are in a garage, storage, and rarely driven.

I would get regular car insurance for a long trip like you are talking about. Sounds like fun. Good luck. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
jhowes

Who is Pelling Ins.? Does anyone have a comment on Taylor antique car insurance? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
JRShaw

Smile Re: Hagerty and Pelling Insurance

I have been with Taylor Insurance for a good ten (10) years on my Late '31 Truck, and have been satisfied. Basically it is a gift for them as I rarely drive this A. They recently sent my annual renewal, and the price had gone up significantly. I got an estimate with Hagerty Insurance, and even with driving 500-miles -or- less per year with club events, etc. it was significantly more!! The upshot is that we are staying with Taylor Insurance. My Late'31 Roadster will be added to the policy as well.
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Who is Pelling Ins.? Does anyone have a comment on Taylor antique car insurance? Jack
We have used Taylor for over 40 years. No problems, but no claims either.

Policy reads:

Antique vehicle means a motor vehicle twenty five years or more of age, that is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest, it is not used primarily for the transportation of persons or goods.

If you use antique license plates, some states have restrictions on there use also.

I again would recommend regular car insurance. Enjoy.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Standing Elk

I have Hagerty on both my TT and my 30 coupe. I was told when I signed up that an occasional pleasure trip was permissible as are club events and travel to and from shows. No one asked for any proof of how many miles would be driven, so how would they know if you drove the car two or three times a week or once a month? Heck the TT does not even have a speedometer so I could drive it every day and no one would be the wiser. I am thinking they must not be as concerned about this as some may think.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
ccb360

JC Taylor advertises no millage limits and allows occasional pleasure trips (check their website). The Virginia regulations also afford ample driving opportunities within reasonable limits for antique registered vehicles.
JC Taylor Insurance has been a good value (been with them 22+ years) for me. Good to see the hobby has multiple choices for insurance.
ccb360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
TerryO

This thread got me thinking so I called Haggerty today and asked what was the definition of pleasure driving. I told him I take a Model A out pretty often on weekends and also sometimes during the week just for pleasure driving. I also told him after we have lunch we sometimes ran by the grocery store to pick up a few items on the way home. He assured me this is ok but if I saw I was going to go much over the mileage I had estimated that I should call and let them know (one A is 2500 miles and the other is 5000 miles). I suspect they probably charge more if you plan to drive them more. I doubt if I will ever go over the mileage that I estimated and I will keep driving like I always have.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

NOW, you know WHY I stuck with AAA, since 1957! AAA Homeowners Insurance since 1975 & have 200 Mile, free towing. And a REAL Office, where I can talk to REAL People! Not push buttons that DING, in Central INDIA---LOL
Bill Protected
Old 03-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
NOW, you know WHY I stuck with AAA, since 1957! AAA Homeowners Insurance since 1975 & have 200 Mile, free towing. And a REAL Office, where I can talk to REAL People! Not push buttons that DING, in Central INDIA---LOL
Bill Protected
I'm hearing ya Bill. We have been with AAA for 45 years, both auto and homeowners. It is nice to walk into their office, not the DMV, to register our cars also.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I'm hearing ya Bill. We have been with AAA for 45 years, both auto and homeowners. It is nice to walk into their office, not the DMV, to register our cars also.
Together, we could do a COMMERCIAL for AAA & "maybe" get FREE INSURANCE!
My Agent LOVED it, when I kept Vermin insured, for YEARS & never drove him!
Bill Wasteful
Old 03-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
Fullraceflathead

I have Hagerty on my Model A and am very Happy at the price of $173 a year at $18,000 agreed value.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullraceflathead View Post
I have Hagerty on my Model A and am very Happy at the price of $173 a year at $18,000 agreed value.
Any mileage or driving limitations?

Reagrds
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #16
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
We have used Taylor for over 40 years. No problems, but no claims either.

Policy reads:

Antique vehicle means a motor vehicle twenty five years or more of age, that is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest, it is not used primarily for the transportation of persons or goods.

If you use antique license plates, some states have restrictions on there use also.

I again would recommend regular car insurance. Enjoy.

Insurance companies are not known for being eager to pay claims that there policy, as written, would get them out of.

The reason we need Insurance is in case something were to happen.

Now we have something happen!

Thinking that they would never check you out if there were to be a claim, is wishful thinking. What if you were to have a claim that might have someone injured or worse?

“YA, I have antique car insurance on my daily drive, they will never know how I use it and it’s cheap”. Now you have a CLAIM! Get a good lawyer.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
Fullraceflathead

I believe its 1500 miles a year or less. I currently drive it less than 500 miles a year.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #18
craftola

I have 3 classic automobiles insured by Hagerty. I have never needed to file a claim. I drive all of the cars when I can and when I want to. In the event of an accident, I can only hope that they stand by this published statement.

What are your usage restrictions/guidelines?
Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.
craftola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I suspect they probably charge more if you plan to drive them more. I doubt if I will ever go over the mileage that I estimated and I will keep driving like I always have.

TerryO
It usually helps to look at things like this from their perspective, especially when it comes to money. Collector car or Antique auto insurance is a specialized, niche product for a small demographic. Rates are low for a few reasons. One is that the average age of an antique or collector car is over 40, I'm quite certain. We're not talking about 18 year old punks with a red miata sportscar. As a "risk pool" the folks needing this product are a good bet. Better, anyway. Another reason premiums are reasonable is because of the restrictions they place on the policy - no parking on the street for obvious reason, no driving to work every day, cannot be the sole vehicle. None of this is unreasonable for the price they charge;

It just makes sense. Antique policies are setup for well ... antiques, and are priced competitively. If you want to use your Maxwell as a daily driver on the I5, the Insurance company will undoubtedly recommend a different type of policy.

For similar reasons, for example, your homeowners policy won't cover large amounts of expensive jewelry or cash kept at home. It's under the "what are you &$uking daft!?" clause.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote