Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Passing of an Icon

I returned home yesterday from attending the funeral of one of my oldest and dearest friends, Stan Lomelino. I have only 3 "best friends" who extend back to my childhood days and I am very proud to say Stan was one of them. The influence he had on my life is beyond my ability to describe. The world, and especially the Flathead performance world, is a better place because of Stanley R. Lomelino.

I would like to think I made his life a little better but my contribution is hardly worth mentioning when compared to what he did for me.

The attendance of the viewing and funeral were very gratifying for me to see as the number of people who appreciated this great man was overwhelming.

JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Passing of an Icon

Sorry to hear of your loss.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
jehagado

I have been to many funerals, some time the place is packed, some times only a few come.
Some people influence and do good for so many in life.
jehagado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
19Fordy

JWL:
Sorry for the loss of one of your 3 musketeers. Having true friends through thick and thin is so very honorable and incalculable in life and even in death. I am sure Stanley's spirit will give you comfort.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

Yes, I share your Loss of a good friend. At my age there are few of us left. But we do have great memories of the past.
Take care John.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I returned home yesterday from attending the funeral of one of my oldest and dearest friends, Stan Lomelino. I have only 3 "best friends" who extend back to my childhood days and I am very proud to say Stan was one of them. The influence he had on my life is beyond my ability to describe. The world, and especially the Flathead performance world, is a better place because of Stanley R. Lomelino.

I would like to think I made his life a little better but my contribution is hardly worth mentioning when compared to what he did for me.

The attendance of the viewing and funeral were very gratifying for me to see as the number of people who appreciated this great man was overwhelming.

JWL
JWL; For the man I know you to be, speaks volumes to the man Stan was. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Craig.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
burly

John, My deepest condolences. Mr. Lomelino's racing career is legendary.
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
hotrodA

My condolences in your loss. I have lost two of my closest friends in the last few years, and it is tough to bear. May God comfort you.
Bill
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Marcus

John - Now I know why you sent the note saying you would be away; I am SO sorry for the loss of Stan, his contributions to the racing world (and flatheads) are incalculable. That said, you denigrate your own contributions and as previously noted, certainly gives rise to the man that you truly are. That record-holding flathead Hudson will live in history as one of your greatest achievements, right alongside Stan. My heart grieves for you, dear friend, but I rejoice in the certain and sure knowledge that we WILL see our loved ones again. And, who knows - maybe another drag race between flatheads!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
fourfords

JWL, What impresses me is your regard for others. You are fortunate to have earned the friendships you have. Class act.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

So sorry for the loss of your close friend - the ranks get thinner as we grow older but we have to remember the good times shared ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Hey JWL - really sorry to hear about the loss of your great friend . . . but also happy to see how you honor him and your friendship. You'll be thinking of him often, and true friends never really leave us, they stick in our hearts, heads and souls forever . . . and that never dies. Take care
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

John:

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
scicala

John,

Sorry to hear about your loss of a good old friend, and of a Flathead Icon.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

WOW.....I did NOT know Stan Lomelino, but he sure does sound like a guy I wish I had known. Below, just one short tale about how seriously he took his racing, and also the lengths to which he would go to FINISH the program! Sounds like one heck of a friend you had there, John.......sorry to hear of his passing. Read a short story below the picture of his twin flathead dragster! DD

Stan Lomelino was a regular competitor at Tri-State Dragway during the ‘60s. He had all sorts of machines, but when the competition got serious, Stan relied on his duel in-line flat head car. One night, Stan requested additional time for the second round to replace one of the dragster’s motors. No problem!
The race continued, and Stan finished runner-up to Ken Chenoweth’s blown Pontiac A/FD. As everyone was wrapping up, there stood Stan wanting to talk to me. “Mr. Baker”, (he always called me that), “would it be possible for you to leave the lights on for a while? I have to change engines to get home,” (Virden, Ill.).
"Sure Stan, what happened?"
You guessed it! The Lomelino crew had taken the motor out of their ’48 Ford tow car and used it two rounds in Top Fuel. Now, to get home, they needed time to replace it!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
rotorwrench

He must have used parts from his 48 Ford tow car a few times as spares. That is a kick for sure but then having to put the tow car back together to get home is a real hoot.

I've lost a few real close friends over the years but I still think of them all the time. It seems the wilder ones were always the most fun and left the most lasting memories. It sounds like Stan was a bit on the wild side too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote