Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Vintage Copper 47

Default My 47 flathead SIX is tired, leaking oil out front crankshaft pulley

Ok.. So I know my 47 G Model SIX cylinder is original and highly unlikely to have been rebuilt. I took her on a road trip last weekend and put about 600 miles on the motor. After about 200 miles, I started to get a terrible drip. Basically the oil I believe is seeping out the front crankshaft/oil pan seal. As I drive it hits the crankshaft pulley which flings it everywhere on the underside of my car; tie rods, front axle, everywhere. When I am stopped, I get multiple drip marks in scattered pattern, no large puddles.
My FIRST QUESTION; if it is indeed the front seal, can I fix the leak by removing the front pulley on the crankshaft, removing the timing cover, etc.. Or must I remove the oil pan?.. The manual says I must remove the engine to change the oil pan gasket. The "green book" diagram shows what looks like a half-rope style seal for the front crankshaft..
My SECOND QUESTION; how available are the parts to do a rebuild? I figure if I have to remove the motor, I might as well do a top & bottom end re-build... Does anyone recommend H & H Flatheads in La Crescenta, Calif?

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: My 47 flathead SIX is tired, leaking oil out front crankshaft pulley

If it started spitting out oil suddenly check if the crankase went is blocked.
To change the rope seal you need to drop the pan and take the front cover off.
G parts aren´t as easy as the H so if it runs and you have compression and oilpressure i would stick in a new seal and run it.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Vintage Copper 47

Default Re: My 47 flathead SIX is tired, leaking oil out front crankshaft pulley

Thanks.. I figured as much.. I have extra water pumps, distributor, radiator for the G

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
edhd58

If you find the oil seals please post where. I need them to and can't find them. I am very close to swapping a H six cylinder because of lack of available parts.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhd58 View Post
If you find the oil seals please post where. I need them to and can't find them. I am very close to swapping a H six cylinder because of lack of available parts.
Will Do So!

Old 10-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
amodel25

I got all my overhaul parts for my "H" six cylinder from Kanter Auto Parts, granted it was 19 years ago. Check with them for "G" parts. I seem to remember some listed in their catalog. All my parts came in old stock boxes, no Chinese junk!!
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
flatheadmurre

Best gasket 29005 and 7312 should be what you need.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
I got all my overhaul parts for my "H" six cylinder from Kanter Auto Parts, granted it was 19 years ago. Check with them for "G" parts. I seem to remember some listed in their catalog. All my parts came in old stock boxes, no Chinese junk!!
Thanks amodel25 ...

here is the link for anyone else needing "G" model gaskets!

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail...Router=Gallery
I spoke with Max at H & H Flatheads.. he specializes in rebuilding the SIX cylinders.. but now I have to save up the scratch ($) $4500 for long block build.. so in the meantime I think I will pull the oil pan & replace the front & rear seals as well as the timing cover gasket..

Thanks all Fordbarners for your advice!

Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Vintage Copper 47

Okay... for the cost of rebuilding my SIX, I can put in a Flathead EIGHT!.. I know there is lots of info here. I was wondering, what mods do I need to make to the bellhousing, starter, transmission, engine mounts? Can anyone give me a rundown on this? Thanks for your understanding.. WALT

Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Does a 47 I6 use a bellhousing or is it part of the transmission like the V8s? New radiator for one. Believe there have been past threads on this topic that provided details.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #11
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Does a 47 I6 use a bellhousing or is it part of the transmission like the V8s? New radiator for one. Believe there have been past threads on this topic that provided details.
Not sure..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
Vintage Copper 47

Okay found the thread for the swap.. too much work involved.. if I did that much I might as well re-do suspension to parallel leaf, better rear end, SBC (no.. no..) etc... Too bad I couldn't find any performance manifold or headers for the SIX.. any idea where I could get some performance parts for the 47 "G" model SIX cylinder?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...pping+cylinder

Old 10-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
edhd58

Im glad I reread this post. I need those seals too
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
Drbrown

Lots of incidentals to consider for conversion .... rear end gear ratios, shift linkage, etc. Lots of guys love their 6's.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Lots of incidentals to consider for conversion .... rear end gear ratios, shift linkage, etc. Lots of guys love their 6's.
I am sticking with my SIX DrBrown