Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Benson

Talking Is it just me? Or is a DYWFWYP Auto Parts store in our future??

Lately when I go to Auto parts store they need to know the make, year and model for ANYTHING I order ...

1. even an Ignition Point file

AND they do not stock them either!!

For a long time I told them that it for a 1908 Ford Model S ...

Clerk: "They did not even make cars in 1908!"

Today I answered their question with "1908 Model S Ford". Damned if that car is not in the NAPA Online data base !!

"DYWFWYP" ......

"Do You want fries with your parts?"
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Is it just me? Or is a DYWFWYP Auto Parts store in our future??

But do they stock any parts for it?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
1930-Pickup

Maybe you should go back in time a little further. 1906 Model R?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...009558802.html
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Art Newland

I went into an orielly's the other day and asked for a "generic" in-line fuel filter 1/4 in and out, they asked for what make and model...
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
marty in Ohio

When the new Autozone opened in town I went in for oil. The new clerk, eager to please and full of energy, asked how he could help. I asked for 4 quarts of oil. He said "you'll need a filter too." Told him "just the oil." He gave me the pitch how you should ALWAYS change the filter with the oil. He asked what kind car. I told him "Ford." He put that in his computer. He then asked "what year." I told him "1930." He turned to his computer again and after a puzzled look said "Oh, four quarts of oil."
I'll bet he never forgot that one.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
MikeK

Now, why are we all giving those guys such a hard time? We all know they weren't exactly the brightest bulbs in school. That poor kid is working hard to move up to a job that has pictures of the product on the register keys.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Now, why are we all giving those guys such a hard time? We all know they weren't exactly the brightest bulbs in school. That poor kid is working hard to move up to a job that has pictures of the product on the register keys.
They're doing what they are told to do by their boss. One of my kids worked in a similar crappy job for enough years to earn a double Master's degree. Think once or twice before putting someone down for doing exactly what they have to do to keep their job.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
harleytoprock

The best parts guys are retired mechanics. They know their stuff and have my full respect!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I am online with all my shop parts jobbers. I look up and order my own stuff and minutes later its walking in the door. The days of picking up the phone and talking to the counterman are ending. Plus i get the right parts more often
Price matching and checking stock is also nice
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
They're doing what they are told to do by their boss. One of my kids worked in a similar crappy job for enough years to earn a double Master's degree. Think once or twice before putting someone down for doing exactly what they have to do to keep their job.
I think you are missing the message in Bensons comment.

Most of the kids who drop out of school or do poorly end up in these kind of jobs. It is admirable that your son put himself through school as did my daughter also. If anything, that type of "crappy" job makes the person well aware that without higher education they would be stuck at that level of employment.

However.....When a clerk in an auto supply store asks you "what year and model car is that for" when you want to purchase a 9/16 inch socket wrench, he is in the wrong field and /or needs a whole lot more training.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Had a clerk in the O'Reilly look at me with the "deer in the headlights" look when I asked home where I could find the cotter pins. "What's a cotter pin?"

Recently.

Like a week ago!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #12
cpf240

My family and I made a long drive to visit relatives in my '84 Blazer. The Blazer started to run hot as we arrived. Turns out it has a weeping freeze plug. To 'make do' until all the freeze plugs could be changed, we decided to use a radiator cap with a lower pressure rating.

We wound up going to 3 different auto parts stores before we found one with an old hand behind the counter who knew how to find a radiator cap that would fit and had a lower pressure rating. At all 3 stores, the young guns behind the counter either couldn't understand what we wanted, or had no idea how to find a part that wasn't in their computer for that year/make/model vehicle. It may have also helped that the final store was a Mom & Pop, and not a chain.

I hate to admit it, but I still haven't gotten around to changing those freeze plugs...
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Mark W.

If I have to drive miles out of my way to use a NAPA then I will, AutoZone and The others are only good for a quick shelf item like Gumout because of the reasons stated above. And don't even bother asking about plastigauge or anything similar.
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
JaxFLG8r

Back in the day, experience and the parts book was what you needed to work a parts counter. I remember in my early days being asked about "muffler bearings" and volkswagen bug water pumps, to gauge experience.

Now days, the main "tool" of the counter person is the computer.

The big box stores train their parts counter workers to use the computer to locate parts quickly, to get to the next customer.

These folks do not know that the late '31 Model A has the fuel shutoff under the hood, versus in the cab. They do not know that there is no fuel pump, because there isn't a need to know 99% percent of the time.

They are there to sell oil, oil filters, antifreeze, windshield wipers, batteries, starters, water pumps, alternators, and belts, for cars that are 5-25 years old. That is their core business and market share.

Sometimes you will get an "experienced" counter person who knows their stuff, but for the most part, know who you are dealing with, know how they have been trained, and know that if you try to explain to them that the standard electrical set-up is a positive ground, 6 volt system, that their minds will be blown. Ed Williamson
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
My family and I made a long drive to visit relatives in my '84 Blazer. The Blazer started to run hot as we arrived. Turns out it has a weeping freeze plug. To 'make do' until all the freeze plugs could be changed, we decided to use a radiator cap with a lower pressure rating.

We wound up going to 3 different auto parts stores before we found one with an old hand behind the counter who knew how to find a radiator cap that would fit and had a lower pressure rating. At all 3 stores, the young guns behind the counter either couldn't understand what we wanted, or had no idea how to find a part that wasn't in their computer for that year/make/model vehicle. It may have also helped that the final store was a Mom & Pop, and not a chain.

I hate to admit it, but I still haven't gotten around to changing those freeze plugs...
my s10 has been doing the same thing - been like that for over 120K miles...just drilled 2 holes in the inner pressure side of the radiator cap so its a non pressurized system. no overheats runs great no leaks....
Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
If I have to drive miles out of my way to use a NAPA then I will, AutoZone and The others are only good for a quick shelf item like Gumout because of the reasons stated above. And don't even bother asking about plastigauge or anything similar.
Ironically I usually avoid Napas... weirdest hours (only open from 8-12 on Saturday... then close at 6 on weekdays... REALLY convenient there...) the few we have usually has the old guy behind the counter but thinks all young people dont know anything about cars and is usually an a**. Then the prices for the same aftermarket brands seems to be 25% higher at napa...Only times I go there are for the oddball parts (they do stock some of the weirdest stuff).
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
TinCup

Their inventory systems are all based off of Make,Model,Year. They are not trying to remember 10,000 SKU's. Take a look at the age of these guys most are under 30 and most are not wrench turners. There is one NAPA store here in town where I can walk in and ask for parts and not have to rely on these parameters.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
Benson

Sorry to bitch about this ... but the local Alameda Auto Parts was bought out recently and after 45 years of dealing with the "Mom and Pop" OLD guys who knew how to use the catalogs in the steel "fan" racks on the counter ... I really miss their help!

Bob could find ANYTHING I needed ... except for a 1908 Model S Ford ...

Actually they had computers for quite a while but kept the paper catalogs for backup!

This was also Paul Garrigan aka Rumble Seat 's favorite parts store ...

There was one store 3 blocks from my house and one 3 blocks from Paul's house.

Last edited by Benson; 04-13-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
tim54889

I ask at the local grocery store, where are the prunes? I was asked "The dried ones?"
tim54889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Seth Swoboda

I'm into the flathead V8's mostly these days and while I was working on my 1939 Ford pickup I would visit the local NAPA on occasion for parts. The guys working there are all about my age (36) or younger. They always asked me what make and model I was needing parts for. The first time I told them I got that "what the hell is a flathead V8" look. They are nice guys and I enjoy ribbing them about their lack of flathead V8 knowledge. When I had the truck project complete, I drove it to the store to show them what the legendary Ford V8 was. They were impressed. It was a learning experience for them and I enjoyed the lesson. They'll now forever know what a flathead V8 engine is.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote