Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Where is Craig Lewis?

Craig had posted a lot of good information and showed many nice homemade tools he made, but I haven't seen any posts from him for a couple years. Just wondering if he's OK, and why he hasn't been posting?

Craig is the guy that taught me to not use silicone to seal windshield leaks, because it will promote rust.

Here's a link to one thread showing some of his nice tools he made.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...made+tools+cam
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Where is Craig Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Craig had posted a lot of good information and showed many nice homemade tools he made, but I haven't seen any posts from him for a couple years. Just wondering if he's OK, and why he hasn't been posting?

Craig is the guy that taught me to not use silicone to seal windshield leaks, because it will promote rust.

Here's a link to one thread showing some of his nice tools he made.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...made+tools+cam
A lot of talented & knowledgeable folks no longer participating here. Kinda sad!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
A lot of talented & knowledgeable folks no longer participating here. Kinda sad!!
I couldn't agree with you more Brent, especially on the sad part! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
mshmodela

For some it's easier to bring others down to make themselves higher... Sadly it's all too common and not just with this hobby and website.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
700rpm

I used to read nearly every thread because they mostly were pretty close to restoration questions and topics, but lately there seems to be a spate of HAMB-type posts, and those just don't belong on a restoration forum. Moderators used to be more diligent about policing those, but the parameters apparently have become more flexible. Here is one current example: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194631
But it's their site, it's their call.

I have posted a number of comments that were based on my shade tree experiences, and have been for the most part courteously corrected (thank you, Mitch, Tbird, Brent, Bill, Vince, Tom, Pluck, and many others), and I have benefitted from those updates to my amateur fixes, as I hope others have.

Even with the loss of guys like Purdy, and the creeping intrusion of non-restoration questions and comments, this is still the best site I've found for good information. You just have to filter it a little more.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 04-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
John Duden

i have lost alot of interest in most of the discussion, there are way too many post about stupid babbling crap that some are just "posting" to post. i believe this is a restoration and repair fourm, if you want to post just to post or run sombody down get on Facebook
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Then add posts like the one titled "Amusing" that are counterproductive. I can see more than the one it was aimed at being offended by it. I can not really see anything in that post that is constructive or needed. The Busy Bodies are taking over. Also fewer people on here with restoration questions and often they are answered with send the part here or there and no explaination of how to dir themselves. Not everyone has gold lined pockets. Rod
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
George Miller

Quote:
Yep!!
Yep +1`
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
diomed

I don't post much because every single question I've ever had has been answered by searching the forum. I'm typically not going to post just to post, so I wind up not participating in most discussions.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
I don't post much because every single question I've ever had has been answered by searching the forum. I'm typically not going to post just to post, so I wind up not participating in most discussions.

Kris, do you mean you found the answers to your questions by using the search function? That's good. That's the way it should work. If you mean that your post has always been answerd with a referral, I don't think that's true.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #11
mshmodela

Without law enforcement laws are just ink on paper. Without enforcement of rules of this forum, there are no rules...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
diomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Kris, do you mean you found the answers to your questions by using the search function? That's good. That's the way it should work. If you mean that your post has always been answerd with a referral, I don't think that's true.
The former. I use the search function and it never lets me down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #13
Utopia Texas

Some folks drop out due to natural attrition or go on to other hobbies. The vast majority of friends I have locally in the Model A and Model T world are in their 60's and 70's and there comes a time where working on old iron becomes impossible. I've done 4 frame off restorations on my Model T's and my one Model A and at this point can no where do the physical work I could 30 years ago. Heck, I take 2 aspirin as a preventive measure before I crawl under old iron these days!
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
newshirt

Tom, I too enjoy those types of posts by Craig. Clever hand-built tools for restoration purposes. I've stopped reading modernization threads, which fill a lot of pages now. And I've stopped posting because I'm light-years behind the rest of you guys, and partly because I feel stupid when suggesting factory restoration as described in the RG&JS. That seems so old-fashioned now.

But I still read everything you write.

And I met Tom Endy for the first time at the pancake breakfast in Orange. What a thrill!

Last edited by newshirt; 04-22-2016 at 08:56 AM.
newshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post

Your comment brings up yet another thought to be pondered. If every one of those knowledgeable contributors that Vince previously posted above (and then deleted ) closed their Fordbarn account and deleted all of their posts, what percentage of your questions would/could be answered then?

Holding THAT thought, ...how many of answers do you read today in actuality are coming from someone who learned the correct answer from one of those very individuals that was listed above??

The 3rd question comes this way. Anymore, ...what or where is the incentive for the truly knowledgeable folks to help the ones asking questions, -or correct the erroneous posters? Remember that most of the ones that were on that list actually extensively researched or had extensive first-hand experience. Why I ask is this, ...of the 71,000+ members here, how many do you feel would pay a $10 a month subscription for them to participate on Fordbarn? My personal opinion is the majority of the members would not pay anything simply because they want the information for free. Therefore should it matter that others paid a price to gain information that is expected to be given for free to someone who is unwilling to learn it on their own?? Again, it is a shame that the very ones that freely shared their information that made this site great are/were the very ones that were effectively shunned by administration for wanting to protect a website that they were told was for restoration topics. Kinda like the feeling you have when you go to the dance with a girl yet she finds someone else to go home with!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Your comment brings up yet another thought to be pondered. If every one of those knowledgeable contributors that Vince previously posted above (and then deleted ) closed their Fordbarn account and deleted all of their posts, what percentage of your questions would/could be answered then?

Holding THAT thought, ...how many of answers do you read today in actuality are coming from someone who learned the correct answer from one of those very individuals that was listed above??

The 3rd question comes this way. Anymore, ...what or where is the incentive for the truly knowledgeable folks to help the ones asking questions, -or correct the erroneous posters? Remember that most of the ones that were on that list actually extensively researched or had extensive first-hand experience. Why I ask is this, ...of the 71,000+ members here, how many do you feel would pay a $10 a month subscription for them to participate on Fordbarn? My personal opinion is the majority of the members would not pay anything simply because they want the information for free. Therefore should it matter that others paid a price to gain information that is expected to be given for free to someone who is unwilling to learn it on their own?? Again, it is a shame that the very ones that freely shared their information that made this site great are/were the very ones that were effectively shunned by administration for wanting to protect a website that they were told was for restoration topics. Kinda like the feeling you have when you go to the dance with a girl yet she finds someone else to go home with
I once suggested a token yearly fee ( possibly $ 20 ) and nearly got run out of town. The people on this site generally are frugal ( cheap ) to say the least. Wayne
Old 04-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
crowshill

Well in response to Brent's post, I will say Thanks to you guys who do take the time to share your knowledge. I don't post much, try to search for the information, but the few times I have had to ask you guys have been very helpful. Even got PMs following up.

And a Big thanks to Brent who several years ago, took the time to talk to me about a project and offered some great advice over the phone.
crowshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #18
BudP

I too, like many others, rely extensively on the search function. So much so that the largest publication in my Model A "Library" is a 4 inch thick binder containing only printouts of advice, picture's and technical papers referenced on this site. It is one of my primary "go to" sources when I come across an issue, especially an electrical issue.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

d[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;1281863]I'm hoping now that Vince doesn't leave the site after that thread concerning the Jalopy Journal was locked down by Ryan..........................

If Tom Wesenberg and Brent Terry ever leave, to name two that stand out in my mind, that will be about all she wrote for me. Brent also talked me thru a problem on the phone about three years ago. His advice saved my rear end!

Same thing has happened over on the Early V-8 side as has happened

Two remarkable resources for sure! Wayne
Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #20
Quigley1930

Tom I hope you found Craig Lewis 'cause after all these posts NO ONE answered the question

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote