Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #41
johnsor

Default Re: Keeping mice from above the headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by some mech 3 View Post
Mice got above my recently-upholstered 1931 coupe. They urinated and stained it badly, and some staining even occurred in the side panels. Is there any way to keep them from getting above the lining, since I want to put in a new headliner? I have set traps, used moth balls and mint. Are there any new products to prevent them from entering the car? Thank you.
some mech 3
I had the same thing happen to my newley upholstered 31 two door. The piss stains are running down each side and really looks bad. Damn them.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #42
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
I had the same thing happen to my newley upholstered 31 two door. The piss stains are running down each side and really looks bad. Damn them.
Seriously, my Friend, get yourself a Rat Terrier, they are inborn RODENT killers & the PERFECT family dog. Bill W.
(The one on the left is my Dog, Buster T.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUSTER 2.jpg (31.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg RAT & RAT.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RAT IN A WAGON.jpg (7.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #43
53F100Jeffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle View Post
The rats in 'Nam would shake a trap off their head. Yes they were that big! I used a Model 1911 .45 cal. on them! Worked real good! Here in the States, my black Bombay cat with gold eyes works just as well.
Rock,
Thanks for your service in Vietnam. I saw huge rats in Naples. Italy when I was in the Navy. On Shore Patrol, they gave us brooms to defend ourselves, if you were assigned to the pier. Ahhh, memories.
Jeff

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #44
Napa Skip

For those who live in rural areas and are so inclined, barn owls provide a safe and highly effective method of rodent control. The average barn owl can consume 53 lbs of gophers per year (yes, I realize few Model A’s are damaged by gophers…) and during a typical 4-month breeding cycle, a barn owl family will consume up to 3000 rodents (such as mice, rats, voles and moles).

Additionally, the use of barn owls avoids secondary kill of other predators that contribute to rodent control such as hawks, foxes, bobcats, coyotes and snakes, which - in addition to owls - can be killed by consuming poisoned rodents.

Barn owls can be encouraged to nest and hunt in your area by providing perches and nesting boxes. Perches (which encourage hunting in the perch area) should be 10-12 feet high and nesting boxes should be positioned 12-15 feet high. A good size for barn owl nesting boxes is about 32” long x 16” wide x 14” tall. Simple plans and directions for hanging are provided by the US Department of Agriculture and are available on-line (Google “barn owl box plans” or go to – for example - ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CA/new...t/owl_nest.pdf).

This, plus the rotating peanut butter-coated soft-drink bottle suspended over a 5-gallon water-filled bucket, aluminum foil under each wheel, dryer sheets, rat terriers, cats, glue boards and strings of Christmas tree lights, should provide some protection against your favorite Model A becoming a rodent hotel.

Personally, I would forego the chicken-snake-in-the-work-shop option...
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote