Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
fordfun

Default Voltage regulator specification

The 1929 Sports Coupe I acquired last year appears to have a later model generator. The unit seems to be functioning acceptably, however I would like to add a voltage regulator. I understand that an EVR may need to be matched to the generator, and at this point I'm not sure which generator I have. It's approximately 5.75" long with a 1.5" wide band. I'm running a 6v positive ground system. Any help you can give me in determining the type of generator I have will be greatly appreciated. (Photos attached).

I would also appreciate any recommendations you have regarding a source for the correct EVR.

Thanks - Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg End cap psc.jpg (56.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Rt profile psc.jpg (38.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Lf profile psc.jpg (75.0 KB, 33 views)
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Voltage regulator specification

Judging from the front terminal post, you have a 29 generator main housing with the later model 46 (1933 and later 4 cylinder generator) brush end plate. A lot of times generator parts get mixed and matched in a patch up rebuild but are basicly the same. I use the Fun Projects voltage regulator on both the model A and the model 46 type generators with great results.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There are three places to get a regulator. Each do the same job only differently.

Tom Wesenberg inside the generator contact here on the Barn,
Fun Projects replaces the cutout,
and
James Peterson's in the band.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfun View Post
The 1929 Sports Coupe I acquired last year appears to have a later model generator. The unit seems to be functioning acceptably, however I would like to add a voltage regulator. I understand that an EVR may need to be matched to the generator, and at this point I'm not sure which generator I have. It's approximately 5.75" long with a 1.5" wide band. I'm running a 6v positive ground system. Any help you can give me in determining the type of generator I have will be greatly appreciated. (Photos attached).

I would also appreciate any recommendations you have regarding a source for the correct EVR.

Thanks - Bill
May I ask why you feel the need for a regulator?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Quote:

Thanks - Bill
I forgot a couple of things in my post above. Fun Projects has a web site with pictures and information and prices. I think that www.funprojects.com will get you there, if not google fun projects. This regulator takes the place of the cut out, looks like the cutout but gives voltage regulation. No mods to the generator are needed. Installing the regulator is just like installing a cut out. You adjust the adjustable brush for a maximum charge of 15 amps and it will cycle like a modern regulator from 3 to 15 amps to meet demand. The best that I remember, the last one that I bought was a little over a hundred dollars.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
fordfun

Thank you very much for the information you passed along. It is very helpful.

My interest in adding a voltage regulator is based on the many posts I've read on this subject here on this website. While I believe in maintaining the original configuration of the car, I realize that battery charging requirements vary with driving conditions (day, night, trip length, etc.), and I'd rather add a proven device that automatically compensates for these rather than continuously manually adjusting the generator output to meet these needs.
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Keith True

The Fun Projects regulator replaces the cut out and looks just like it.Tom's regulator replaces the third brush and retains the use of the original cut out.I put one of Tom's in a powerhouse generator a few years ago,I've never heard a peep out of the owner since,must be working.Before he was constantly boiling batteries.If you go for the Fun Projects,make sure you search the name as Fun PROJECTS,not Fun PRODUCTS.I've had a half dozen people that I told about this search out the wrong name.It is a big difference in products.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information you passed along. It is very helpful.

My interest in adding a voltage regulator is based on the many posts I've read on this subject here on this website. While I believe in maintaining the original configuration of the car, I realize that battery charging requirements vary with driving conditions (day, night, trip length, etc.), and I'd rather add a proven device that automatically compensates for these rather than continuously manually adjusting the generator output to meet these needs.
Just so you know I have driven 20,000 in all kinds of conditions and never had to adjust the generator to anything other then 8 amps charge. Although I have never driven longer then an hour at night.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I bought my 6 volt battery from a junk yard about 10 years ago and it's still working strong. I credit the long life to a good quality battery AND to the fact I have a voltage regulator inside my powerhouse.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Tom's EVR is a good idea. Planning on buying one for the P3 generator for the delivery. Rod
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
foxfire42

This is the Model A list for Cut Outs and EVR's. The print is small on my screen.

10505R Model A Voltage Regulator, 6 Volt Positive Ground (Unscripted) $64.40 In stock

http://www.funprojects.com/search.cf...&querytype=all
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I bought my 6 volt battery from a junk yard about 10 years ago and it's still working strong. I credit the long life to a good quality battery AND to the fact I have a voltage regulator inside my powerhouse.

That's different then thinking one has to "continuously manually adjusting the generator output."