Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
some mech 3

Default Removing stains from new headliner

I restored the interior upholstery of my 1931 coupe a year ago. Mice got into the car and settled above the headliner, Naturally, they urinated, which seeped through the headliner and in addition is very stinky. The headliner is cotton. Anyone have any suggestions for removing the stains? Is there a product on the market that will remove them, or do I have to replace the headliner? Also, is there anyway to prevent mice from getting into the A? I've trapped them, put both moth balls and mint bags into the coupe, and still they get in. Thank you.
Sam
[email protected]
some mech 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: Removing stains from new headliner

Fabrese helps some with the smell, but you may have to rip it out and start again. If you just completed the resto, then you know that that will involve ripping the top off to get to the batting over the roof bows.
As for prevention, I use dryer fabric softener sheets PLUS mothballs. Our Chrysler convertible still smells like a chemical plant and it is mid July! But the smell left by a mouse attack is much worse.
Sorry to report bad news.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if it were mine i would replace the headliner especially since it was a newly replaced interior. buy an enclosed car capsule from california car cover or other supplier like that. if i had to smell up a car with mothballs thats just as bad in my view as mouse crap and piss
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Steve Wastler

Being a multiple cat household we have had our share of 'accidents,' Simple solutions makes a Cat spray & Urine stain and odor remover in a spray bottle, sold at pet stores. Don't know if it will work for your issue, but I would try just about anything before tearing out the headliner. I too use the drier sheets and they seem to work quite well. I also use the ridx brand electronic pest repellers in the garage, my property is surrounded by cornfields, no mice issues as of yet.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
'29wagon

vinegar .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
skip
Banned

"vinegar" . ?

Maybe. Like solvents dissolve like substances. ie, gasoline/grease.
So that's where that saying came from. "He's full of piss and vinegar".

For winter time storage she goes up on four jack stands. Each jack stand leg is placed on a scented BOUNCE Dryer Sheet. Under each axle goes another Bounce. Inside goes more Bounce. The car cover goes over the whole mess and nothing hangs down lower than the bottom of the running board 'cept of course the wheels which are about 9 inches above the cement floor. I think mice can jump this high but after years of storage like this no mice yet.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 07-14-2010 at 09:56 PM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Well a friend told me a story of her little Chinese pug getting sprayed by a skunk. Her cure was to bathe the dog in a tub using massengale douche. You have nothing to lose so I would suggest a hypodermic needle (small gauge) and have at it. Or maybe loosen up the headliner (over the doors) so you you can mist in there with a spray bottle. Try not to get everything too wet as you may be keft with a whitish ring. If that happens you could try a product I always recommend here and that's Turtle wax TOUGH STUFF. As a matter of fact I use Tuff Stuff on our carpet in the house when our aging cat can't make it to his box. Cleans well, no discoloration AND deodorizes. Let us know what works.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote