Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
fordfun

Default Stop lite Switch malfunction - burned wiring

During a long drive in hill country yesterday I noticed that the ammeter was suddenly pegged all the way left. The car continued to run fine and eventually the meter began showing a charge again. Since I had been descending some major hills I suspected that braking and the stop light switch had something to do with it.
Back home in the garage I disassembled the switch and found that the switch rod had pulled completely out of the housing. Some research indicated that this was a problem with some repro switches years ago due to the length of the retraction spring used. I also found some burned wiring that was connected to the switch. Tomorrow I need to investigate further to determine what other wiring will need replacement. Any thoughts about which circuits may be burned?
I checked the tail light bulbs and they didn't burn, and the horn still functions. There are no fuses in the system...yet.
Thanks - Bill
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Stop lite Switch malfunction - burned wiring

Does your brake pedal have excess travel? This happened to me once when I was testing my brake linkage with no rods attached and the brake pedal went to the floor exceeding the design of the switch travel. I was able to fix the switch, but I had to take it apart to free it up. Ya best put a fuse in it real soon. The “hot” side of the switch wiring could go several places. Check the wiring behind the instrument panel for signs of burning too.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
Patrick L.

The switch feed is hot all the time [ which can be changed] and fusing it as Bill mentioned can be a good thing.

Some of the repo switches are not of the best quality. If I remember correctly I think Bert's has good ones. Maybe now the other suppliers might have good ones also.

I would just check the wiring to see how far it was burnt. It may not have traveled too far.

Where in the Finger Lakes are you located ? There are a couple 'As' around here, I don't think I've seen yours.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Patrick L.

It looks as though Snyder's has the good [ more expensive] crossmember mounted switch.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote