Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
DannL

Default Bumper height . . .

Probably a silly question, but my front bumper is approximately 1-1/2" higher on the passenger side than the driver's side. Over time, while watching videos of some car shows, (and I could be nuts here), it appears to me that many model A's suffer a similar bumper height difference. I tried several times straightening the brackets, but the bumper always returns to this height difference. Was this done intentionally? All other measurements are equal when comparing sides of the car.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
noyo55

Default Re: Bumper height . . .

You should check to see if your frame is square. If sometime in history there was a front impact the front frame horns could be bent or the frame out of square. Lots of years and lots of wear
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
Ray64

Weak or broken spring May not be centered in the cross member center hole
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
DannL

I'm going to investigate this further. The front and back bolts of the bumper brackets are equal distances to the ground when comparing each side of the car. Kinda makes me think the brackets don't have the same shape.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
mike657894

step back stand in front of your car look at the lean angle of the bumper does it match the lean angle of the front of the cab roof. If so springs. get new ones cleaning, rotating, greasing might help but will probably be a waste of time. It will lean less but still lean or hang down on one side. Push on your car and see if it will stay up, only to stay down after you step on the running board. NOW if your car does not line up bumper to roof line you have a tweaked frame. My bumper was pointing up on drivers side .. We jacked up the car on passenger side and set in some truck jackstands. Then I stood on the Bumper and jumped It was flexing but not bending back. Then we both stood on the bumper and jumped and after three times taking it down checking jacking back up and trying again it was pulled in to shape.

edit: I was typing this before I saw your last reply. I have some brackets if you need them.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
You should check to see if your frame is square. If sometime in history there was a front impact the front frame horns could be bent or the frame out of square. Lots of years and lots of wear
My Tudor has the same issue. In my case the PO was in a very minor collision. He re-ended a car just enough to crack the pass side frame horn. I'm Leary of buying a re-pop bumper bracket and I'm concerned about a swap meet purchase as well. Years after I bought the car the frame horn snapped. I removed the fender and bumper and welded the frame horn. I did a thorough job but the bracket is still tweaked.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
DannL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
step back stand in front of your car look at the lean angle of the bumper does it match the lean angle of the front of the cab roof. If so springs. get new ones cleaning, rotating, greasing might help but will probably be a waste of time. It will lean less but still lean or hang down on one side. Push on your car and see if it will stay up, only to stay down after you step on the running board. NOW if your car does not line up bumper to roof line you have a tweaked frame. My bumper was pointing up on drivers side .. We jacked up the car on passenger side and set in some truck jackstands. Then I stood on the Bumper and jumped It was flexing but not bending back. Then we both stood on the bumper and jumped and after three times taking it down checking jacking back up and trying again it was pulled in to shape.

edit: I was typing this before I saw y5our last reply. I have some brackets if you need them.
If it turns out that the bracket is misshapened, I could probably waller out the back hole in the bracket to give it more up and down play. I can now see that the entire body is sitting at a list, not quite so bad in the back as in the front. Springs definitely could be the problem here. I'm going to do some critical measuring.