Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
KMeredith87

Default Radiator baffle

Quick question....had my radiator rebuild a little while back, looked great and didn't notice until later the way the baffle is installed I can no longer see the tubes. Makes checking the water level a challenge. If I put water in until I see it it gets thrown out of the top of the radiator from being over filled but don't know how else to ensure there is water in it. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do short of pulling apart the radiator?
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Dan/Kzo

Default Re: Radiator baffle

Check the level when the engine is hot at a fast idle
Dan/Kzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Chuck Sea/Tac

You are not supposed to see the tubes. The baffle sounds correct. Don't fill above the baffle, make sure the overflow tube is pushed to the front or even extended, or as bill says drop. a roofing nail in it. If you have to add water all the time, then you have a problem that needs to be addressed. I only add water every year or two, if that
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
KMeredith87

Interesting...maybe the baffle was installed incorrectly before? And the over flow tube does extend past the baffle about a half inch or more. I don't have to constantly add water but my grandfather always told me to check the water level before driving and make sure it is above the tubes. Just like the peace of mind knowing it is full.

Dan....checking it warm at a fast idle...what am I looking for exactly?
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMeredith87 View Post
Quick question....had my radiator rebuild a little while back, looked great and didn't notice until later the way the baffle is installed I can no longer see the tubes. Makes checking the water level a challenge. If I put water in until I see it it gets thrown out of the top of the radiator from being over filled but don't know how else to ensure there is water in it. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do short of pulling apart the radiator?
Every month or two I add water, it is always the same amount so I know the system is working fine. The excess seems to go out the over flow during the drive. If when you say, "gets thrown out of the top of the radiator" you mean out the cap you need a better gasket. If you mean out the over flow and if it's the same amount each time you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

The overflow tube should be higher than just half an inch above the baffle plate. It should be near the top of the radiator neck. The factory had the overflow pipe bent forward, but later sent out a SERVICE BULLETIN suggesting to bend it toward the rear of the fill neck. I left mine as original, toward the front. I use my free H/F flashlight to check the coolant and make sure it's just over the top of the radiator tubes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The overflow tube should be higher than just half an inch above the baffle plate. It should be near the top of the radiator neck. The factory had the overflow pipe bent forward, but later sent out a SERVICE BULLETIN suggesting to bend it toward the rear of the fill neck. I left mine as original, toward the front. I use my free H/F flashlight to check the coolant and make sure it's just over the top of the radiator tubes.
This is the info Tom speaks of;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rad_baffle.jpg (81.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg model%20a%20radiator.jpg (127.5 KB, 44 views)