Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #41
Tinbasher

Default Re: Can I make entry easier?

Or you could do like one of the members in our club and lengthen the Cab 6" in the door jam and stretched the doors also. He's a tall guy so this fixed the problem. Shortened the box to make up the difference.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #42
FL&WVMIKE

Depending on the construction of the seat bottom, you might be able to make it lower, by having the springs cut down or foam taken out, etc. A couple inches, or so, will make a big difference.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #43
Cool Hand Lurker

[QUOTE=carguybill;1105127]The left foot thing is exactly my problem, not sure if it's my age, weight, or having both knees replaced, but I found that I could not turn my left foot enough to clear the narrow space between the front of the door opening and the front of the seat.
QUOTE]

Yes, the left foot is the problem when getting into ANY of the Model A bodies for everybody except the young, the marathon runners or the occasional Super Old Guy like Tom W....!

And don't even think about stretching over the running board unless you can fly or are a trapeze artist. And don't worry about the steering wheel, gear shift, or hand brake because you will have to fight around them too if you try to get in the right side door. And seeing as what your body has been through, you don't have a chance. So just give me your car.

Oooops.... wait a minute. I'm 76 and have trouble getting into my Tudor because of the left foot thing. I guess you better keep your car. Dang.

My method: Grab windshield/door post, stand on running board, slide right foot in, sit down. Then slide butt over to the outside of the seat so your left ankle will not have to twist quite so far. Grab the left ankle with your left hand, lift it high enough to clear the floor and deftly slide it through the gap. Finally adjust your butt location into it's final position.
Getting out is just the reverse of this contortion, but much, much harder.

Oh yeah, my Tudor is in the process of getting later model small bucket seats WITH the adjusters still there to make it easier to get in. You could do this with the pickup, using the smaller back bench seat from a Dodge mini van and the adjusters from a front seat.

And yes, the people were much smaller back then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three Stooges.jpg (70.7 KB, 9 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #44
BILL WILLIAMSON

Read slowly & try to follow me on this. On Vermin, a '29 Coupe, it's IMPOSSIBLE or me to get my size 13 shoe in between the "A" post & the seat, my leg brace WON'T bend far enough to get my foot up over the seat, to get it in. Even if I were "normal", by the time I got my knee up to my NOSE, I'd probably be hurting too much to drive.
UNLIKE my '30, my '29 bottom cushion wood platform overhangs the seat riser by 4 or 5 inches. It would be feasible to shorten the platform, at the front edge, then shorten the front of the seat springs, re-fit the edge wire & re-upholster the seat. Then you could get your foot in. This, of course, would NOT give you more leg room.
I needed more leg room, also, because of my full length leg braces, SO, I opted for a different approach. I detailed my changes, in detail, previously. Try to SEARCH for it under "RACIN' SEATS"---There's PICS, also.
Bill W.