Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
glenn in camino

Default lorin sorensen's fordiana series books

What is the value of a complete series of 5 of Lorin Sorensen's leather covered books? They're in mint condition.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: lorin sorensen's fordiana series books

Glenn, there were six books in the complete Fordiana series and the original books could be had with an assigned serial number, signed by Lorin. Those, as well as any other first editions not numbered were from Lorin's Silverado Publishing house. Subesquent printings were by Motor Books International. I never saw an MBI edition so cannot comment on the quality. I have the six book set, numbered , and would guess some might expect to get $600+ for them. Realistically I would value the set at $75 each, keeping in mind that "The Ford Shows" and "The Ford Factory" are the scarcest and would command more as individual copies.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
cfordman

hi, we were in san jose in the late sixties and were charter members of club "32"of the early ford v-8 club. I have the full set in the shipping boxes, numbered and autographed by lorin. back then the first book I believe was over $50. with a wife and two kids that was big money. every book after seemed to go up in price. with the set costing near $600 to aquire and to hold on to them for over 40 years seems at face value a poor investment. but the quality and information is unbelievable. for someone who has never seen them its hard to imagine. im almost 70 and if someone wanted my collection,hhmmmm.
cfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
5window

You can find them regularly on Ebay. The prices quoted are about right. I got two (the Ford Road and the Ford in History) at a local book sale for <$20 and got spoiled.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
DougVieyra

$50 a book sounds about right, if they are in excellent condition. If they are from Silverado Publishing, in excellent condtiong, signed by Lorin and in their original boxes, they probably would be well-priced at $75 a book.

I visited Lorin several times at his vineyard in the Napa Valley and got all of his books from him, signed ofcourse. I also bought 3 or 4 duplicates - all of which are still in their boxes.

As has been said, these are great photo albums of Fords when they were new. T's and V-8s as well as Model A's. I think you will cherrish these books long after the pain of the $50 per book is gone. And don't forget, as has been said, if you have patience you may be able to find them at a lessor cost. Mr. Google has been a friend to many a Model A'er.

The real thing here, as in all things, is Supply & Demand. While these books are GREAT, few people know of them and hence, their 'market pressure' is weak. If they were more well known I am sure that the demand would be strong enough to put their value where it probably belongs - $100 per book.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif. Today's high of 98 degrees.

- (98 degrees ! ;. . . . . Just to see who is sleeping . . . . .)

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-12-2014 at 09:21 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Gary Karr

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have seen them go for $125.00 each as singles at swap meets. if you have a complete set, numbered, and signed by Mr. Sorensen, they sould bring at least $500 for the set. They are a wonderful series.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Amazon has some of them for about 25.00 each
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Amazon has some of them for about 25.00 each
True, but descriptions read "rippled pages, or loose binding", or some such other malady for the Amazon bargain priced offerings. YGWYPF, buyer beware. Also, note how many of the titles are not currently available at any price.
I think I have a total of $185 in my numbered/signed set which was produced starting in 1975 at $25 and ending at $45 for the sixth book ten years later. Sorensen's price increases only kept pace with inflation, nothing more.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

He also did:
  • FAMOUS FORD WOODIES: By Lorin Sorensen, 2003.

This book contains about fourty pages devoted to the introduction of the first production Station Wagon, the men involved and numerous pictures of the 150-A and 150-B Station Wagons, the 255-A Special Delivery (Natural Wood) and the 1931 Model A “Travelers Unit”.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
What is the value of a complete series of 5 of Lorin Sorensen's leather covered books? They're in mint condition.
And here they are...
  • THE AMERICAN FORD, NUMBER 1: By Lorin Sorensen, 1975.
  • THE FORD SHOWS, NUMBER 2: By Lorin Sorensen, 1976.
  • THE OPEN FORDS, NUMBER 3: By Lorin Sorensen, 1977.
  • THE FORD FACTORY, NUMBER 4: By Lorin Sorensen, 1980.
  • THE COMMERCIAL FORD, NUMBER 5: By Lorin Sorensen, 1984.
  • THE GOOD OLD FORDS, NUMBER 6: By Lorin Sorensen, 1985.

The above six volumes represented a pictorial history of the Ford Motor Company. Many pictures depicting the different models of Ford cars and trucks. Much sought after books in both the original and/or reprint form.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Gary Karr

There are several singles and a couple of complete sets currently on Ebay. One set, first edition all six is $795 and another complete set for $960.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
19tudor29

Gary and others, I am a potential buyer of a complete set for my personal collection. I bought the first one, The American Ford, in the 70's but got distracted in my business and family. Searched eBay but could not find a set listed. A hint of your search parameters would be helpful. Anyone else with a set to sell, please email me. I recognize that today with internet (and Fordbarn) so much information is readily available that a "book" seems so arcane. Nevertheless, I still remember the hunger for good information 40 or 50 years ago and the impression Sorenson's work made on me. And, am just back from a visit to Dearborn. My best to all. Love this forum. Bob
19tudor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Fordors

Search for Sorensen, with an E, also try Silverado Publishing and/or Fordiana. Any of those will get you there. I don't know if it matters to you or not, but Lorin Sorensen had two print runs of the six book set, after the first editions he offered them the second time in the late '80's and then they were also printed by Motor Books International starting in the early '90's. Lorin passed away in 2009.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Not mine but there's a set for sale on the A swap page.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
19tudor29

Just bought a set off ebay. Thanks for every ones' input and tips.
19tudor29 is offline   Reply With Quote