Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default Insurance problems for attending the Vancouver meet HELP

At our monthly club meeting we were told to obtain a "yellow" card from our own insurance carriers. I contacted my State Farm agent and they made some calls and nobody in their organization has ever heard of such a thing. We happened to has a Hagerty agent as a guest speaker and he agreed we must have a yellow card. Feedback please.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Brian SATX

Default Re: Insurance problems for attending the Vancouver meet HELP

Yo should be able to get it from your insurance comapny. Tell them you need the proof of insurance card for travel in Canada.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
BruceKC

I got mine from JC Taylor
Bruce
BruceKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Jon

If you have Haggerty check with them before even leaving your own state. I had planned on an out of state trip a few years ago, decided to check with Haggerty (my insurer then) and they said they would not cover me. Especially if I was to park at a motel overnight and not in a locked garage. I promptly dropped them and insured with the company I use for my modern iron.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Bruce Adams

Wow !
I spoke to my Hagerty rep when I drove from Long Island NY to Mass two years ago, and he said NO PROBLEM !
Will the real Hagerty please step forward.
I am calling them now.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Bruce Adams

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just called Hagerty following the above posting and said I am going to a car show in Mass fron NY and I was told "Have a Great time, you will be fully covered !"
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
If you have Haggerty check with them before even leaving your own state. I had planned on an out of state trip a few years ago, decided to check with Haggerty (my insurer then) and they said they would not cover me. Especially if I was to park at a motel overnight and not in a locked garage. I promptly dropped them and insured with the company I use for my modern iron.
Very strange, and actually not true. Your car insured thru Hagerty is covered no matter where you drive it except on a dragstrip. Let's face it, if that was the case then all those folks that attend overnight car shows wouldn't be covered and there are thousands and thousands of peeps each and every weekend that are parking their Hagerty and Grundy insured cars in parking lots over night.

My '47 Chevy convertible got smashed up big time at the Grand Canyon while on an extended cross country road trip, I live in Michigan, and Hagerty paid up big time without any issues.

Not that this has anything to do with not being covered in a hotel parking lot or out of state but two weeks after cutting me the check for the big smash the same car burned to the ground and was a total loss. Hagerty cut me ANOTHER check for the full agreed value.

Different trip...while in Oklahoma Dad's '37 Ford convertible got a bunch of damage in a hotel parking lot when someone tried to steal his wheels one night. Hagerty again paid without any issues.

I travel quite a bit thru Canada to get to car events in New York and the upper eastern seaboard and have never heard or been asked for this yellow card thing.

Last edited by Hotrodladycrusr; 06-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Hotrodladycrusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Jon

Man I'm confused now also. I know what I asked and the answers they gave me. She said it had to be in a garage when parked overnight. Makes you wonder about getting questions like this answered over the phone. Anyone reading this that works for Haggerty? Because I probably would go back to them.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Man I'm confused now also. I know what I asked and the answers they gave me. She said it had to be in a garage when parked overnight. Makes you wonder about getting questions like this answered over the phone..
I bet if you called now you'd get a different person and a different answer.

Quote:
Because I probably would go back to them.
Grundy will give you the EXACT same coverage as Hagerty and is less expensive.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Farrell In Vancouver

I could be wrong but I just can't picture the Queen's Cowboys asking you for a "yellow" card. If stopped they may ask you to provide proof of insurance, but if your tag is up to date why would they pull you over to check?
Did this agent state this would be a requirement to cross the border?
I had a friend on a scoot stay with me out of WA for a few months, and it was the day he was heading home he was pulled over for speeding. It was only then it was pointed out his tags were stale. The Mounties still let him ride off and he crossed the border no problemo.
Just what does the "Yellow" card do for you?
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Tacoma Bob

Farrell.that's the odd part. Apparently it's just like a regular proof of insurance card but it will state dollar amounts for personal injury (200.000 minimum requirement.) collision at so much etc. I'm going to go through my files tonight and if I can't find anything I will contact the host club.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
1930artdeco

I have Grundy and dad called them up and they knew what it was. I think it is just something that states you have the minimum requirements for ins. I honestly don't think they will ask unless you get pulled over or get into an accident.

Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Ron/IA

I am going on memory here, so stay with me; but in the latest issue of The Restorer, didn't it state proof of insurance was required by having said card in hand? That this was a requirement of the Canadian government for this national?

I believe others are right in their statements that the proof is not normally required, but I believe in just the case of this national; for some reason it is.

Is anyone from MAFCA reading this that could correctly direct us? - Ron/IA
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
David Cockey

I frequently drive from Michigan into Canada. The folks at the border have never had any interest in whether I was carrying a yellow card or not. I've never had to show one to anyone. You don't need one to cross into Canada and my guess is probably a majority of folks from the US driving their cars in Canada don't have one.

BUT there is a requirement in most or all Canadian provinces and territories that you can produce proof in insurance in Canada if stopped for other reasons or involved in an accident. Just like in most states in the US, except in Canada the card needs to say that the insurance is valid in Canada. The yellow card is that proof of insurance in Canada. If you can't show proof of insurance then you can be detained until it's otherwise established that you have insurance valid in Canada. This has been the requirement for over forty years that I'm aware of so it's not new for this national.

So if you're involved in a minor accident and the police are called, you need to be able to show them your yellow card. Or if you forget that speed limits are in kph and not mph and are stopped for doing 38 mph in a 40 kph zone and are stopped you need to be able to show them your yellow card. Otherwise you can be detained until proof of insurance is established.
David Cockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
John LaVoy

You want your State Farm Agent to supply the Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor VVehicle Liability Insurance Card. They can access the form on their computer in their office and print it out for you. It is not yellow in color for State Farm.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Chris Haynes

Be aware that if you have any kind of criminal record, even a DUI, Canada most likely won't let you in.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Mikeinnj

Also, don't forget your passport as they will require one and proof of liability insurance at the border crossing into Canada.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
David Cockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Also, don't forget your passport as they will require one and proof of liability insurance at the border crossing into Canada.
Alternatives to a passport are an enhanced drivers license if your state issue them or a passport card.

At which border crossing were you asked for proof of liability insurance? Were they unhappy with you for some other reason?

I've driven across the border at various locations from Victoria, BC to Calais, Maine over a hundred times, probably over two hundred times and never been asked by the Canadians for car registration or insurance documents.

Last edited by David Cockey; 06-02-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Tacoma Bob

Thanks Barners and especially John LaVoy. What the Canadians ask for is a Non Resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. When i called my agent back she "Oh That!" we have that but it's not needed to enter British Columbia from Washington State. Only a few of the Canadian Provinces require this document so you need to check which provincial borders you will be using. For the sake of argument........I got one anyway.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
David Cockey

I don't think the issue is where you'll be crossing the border because they don't check at the border. The issue is the requirements in the provinces you'll be driving in, and then only if you are stopped by the police, involved in an accident, etc.