Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #21
mhsprecher

Default Re: AAA for breakdowns in antique?

I have always had good luck with AAA. I also have towing through JC Taylor. Never used that. All organizations are trying to save $. I have AAA Classic and have had no probs. My antiques are the only thing I have had "towed" recently. I did get battery service on my DD, which was a lifesaver for my bride.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #22
Kurt in NJ

I just put 10$ away each year, haven't used any , got over 500 in the account,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #23
ronn

I used all four of my 100 mile tows 2 years ago.

Last year I didnt use a one. well worth it.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I used all four of my 100 mile tows 2 years ago.

Last year I didnt use a one. well worth it.
I totally agree with you. Even when you don’t use it there is peace of mind !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #25
Aarongriffey

IÂ’ve had AAA since 1976. Used the road service once.
I was hauling a ‘39 sedan delivery on a trailer behind my F1, in the rain, in town, going , slooooow, lights on.
When I got to the garage to dump off the car I was towing I shut the truck off when I went to open the door.
I got back in the truck and found the battery too low to start it.
I called AAA.
I young lady showed up in just a few minutes with a van loaded with AAA batteries and gave me a jump start.
I had pretty old battery and I didnÂ’t need more trouble that day so I decided to just buy a new AAA battery.
She looked at the little 12 volt battery size and informed me that if I went to a group 24 it would cost a lot less, IÂ’d have more power and it would still fit in the carrier.
Good deal, I went for it.
But.... the battery crapped out in a year and I noticed where I worked we were taking in a lot of new looking AAA batteries. I would not buy another.
I even have my house insured with AAA. Always do all my vehicle registration renewal and transfers with them too. Nice people here in Hayward and Walnut Creek ar AAA.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #26
ronn

well Aaron-

if you had the premier service, the battery would have been free.

One free batt a year.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #27
700rpm

Never again. I Cancelled. I Broke down in a national forest 100 miles from the nearest town. Hitched a ride and found a place with cell phone reception and called. They refused to respond: "We don’t provide service on unpaved roads.” Called tow company in the town, and when they arrived I told them my tale. Driver says, "WHAT? We make AAA tow calls out here all the time." Immediately cancelled AAA when I got home and added tow coverage to my GEICO policy — for only an additional $25 per year! I don’t tolerate being lied to.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:43 AM   #28
ronn

sorry to hear that Ray- but 25. a year sure isnt giving you four 100 mile tows.

that is usually good for about 5 miles. that doesnt work for me, though most might find that helpful.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
1928Mik

I agree with you 700rpm Ray, between them originally telling me 30 minutes and then stretching it to 2 hours, plus a terrible communication issue from the person with the heavy Indian accent, I had enough. A friend of mine needed his car disabled car towed from his driveway to a garage, and they would not come since it was in his driveway. He called them again after pushing it out on the street and they came an hour later to take it.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #30
Ted Duke

I have AAA and may dump it next year. Local tow companies don't like ti deal with them. My Chrysler T&C has tow, etc coverage through the lifetime warranty. My Dodge Dakota seldom goes more than 60 miles from home.
My A still in build stage, 1961 CORVAIR in paint prep stage, wife's 65 Mustang in paint stage and 1970 KG never does far. When the others are o the road I will likely take the antique insurance tow coverage. Presently with American Collectors Insurance and look at their program which I would be a fool not to take.

https://americancollectors.com/insur...verage-levels/

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #31
Harpkatt

I worked for a Local Tow company for a few years. They were a AAA dispatched tow company. Best bet is to call the tow company and tell them you have AAA, you won't have to wait for AAA to dispatch to a local company. You basically skip one step. Like when you call the firehouse directly instead of 911,who then calls the firehouse.

Learning how to do it right really showed me how often people do it wrong. I followed DOT guidelines at every tow ,and yes it took me much longer than the other guys I'm sure. 4 Straps and 2 safety chains and the winch cable everytime. A lot of guys will just throw one chain and crank the winch until the suspension squats. I liked doing the older cars,because I knew the owners were always nervous, and I cared about their cars as much as I do mine. Having a bunch of old timers myself I felt their pain. I was usually tipped well.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #32
1crosscut

Early in the morning several years ago on the day I was scheduled for a colonoscopy my oldest son broke down a couple miles away from home at a busy intersection on his way to school. I had just taken one of (what seemed to me) the worlds most powerful laxatives as part of the preparation process. I very quickly got into my truck, drove to where he was and moved the car to the side of the road. Got back home and called AAA and let them take care of it. Took a roll of T.P. along with me just in case... made it home in time though.
Was glad to have AAA that day.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #33
1928Mik

Harpkatt, they won't do that anymore according to my towing buddy. He said you have to call AAA first and get a 'job number' and then give it to him and he will come out. But many times AAA will go ahead and dispatch someone anyhow, so whoever gets there first gets the job. He said they are a complete hassle and like 'Ted Duke' said, towing companies don't like to deal with them now. According to the tow company I used for my lockout, AAA is trying to set up their own tow system with their own trucks and eventually are wanting to do away with independents.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #34
Ray in La Mesa

Saw on the news that tow companies won't let you ride in their truck for a tow so you have to arrange for your personal transportation. Don't know if true or industry wide.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #35
ronn

that is true Ray.

just used one of my tows this morning to bring home a ford ranger for my son.
buddy gave it to him. AAA was there in 30 minutes. driver was great as was the dispatcher.

wouldnt consider any other way!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #36
JayJay

I think the thing to realize is that AAA isn't really a tow company - they are a broker with a network of independent tow companies who contract with AAA to be dispatched over a specific service area. So a lot of the AAA experience is really that which comes from dealing with the independent operators.

I've had AAA for 45+ years, and used my parents' membership before then. I've not used AAA for the Model A, but have used it for my motorcycle. And for several battery jumps. Experiences have ranged from pretty good (picked up my son in the Mojave Desert and drove him and the car back to LA, then dropped him off at the airport to catch a flight) to mediocre (flatbed came to pick up my motorcycle but didn't have any ratchet straps to tie it down with, even after I specifically told the dispatcher to bring straps) to awful (waiting 3+ hours for a battery jump in the SF Bay Area on a sunny weekend day). And for the last couple of years, at least in California, you can't even get a real person on the phone when you call, all you get is one of those gawd-awful robo-voice things.

And AAA is pushing their contractors. There are a number of stories out there about AAA decreasing reimbursements while simultaneously making contractors purchase shiny new equipment, cutting down on the number of contractors which results in increased wait times, pushing direct sales like batteries, insurance and the like, etc. Yeah, I get it that it's a for-profit company. But they really haven't made the value proposition to me for several years - it used to be enhancing the driving experience, now it's all $$$.

Will I stay with AAA? Likely so, but grudgingly. I have the "premier" membership which allows up to 200 miles towing, because in both the Model A and on my motorcycle I like to get out into the boonies. And if I have to make a generalization, I think my experience with AAA contractors in less urban areas is better than in the dense SF Bay Area in which I live. Reverse supply/demand. (As an aside, I find rural folks in general tend to be more friendly than urban dwellers.)

Anyhow, my $0.02 worth.

JayJay
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #37
mhsprecher

After expressing content with my current AAA Plan (basic) I had a potential tow situation last weekend. My trip would have been 78 miles. I got quotes from both Foremost (JC Taylor) and AAA. Turns out that AAA would have been marginally cheaper, even though AAA only provides a 5 mile tow. Foremost provides 50 mi, but I would have been charged for the return trip. I was able to drive home, so no tow necessary, but it spurred me to sign up for AAA Plus just in case.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #38
ronn

duly noted- if you have the basic and need the plus to add on- you have to give it one week to take effect.

One 100 mile tow with AAA more then pays for your yrly membership.
I dont work for them by any means, but it is certainly one of the few "deals" left out there.
My brother has three tow trucks and I dont even consider calling him.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #39
P.S.

Only had to use AAA one time- On the all-original unrestored fordor. The original babbit splattered on the way home from my dad's house, and had to get it towed home.

I requested a flatbed on the phone. They asked what make/year, etc. I told them 1929 Ford Model A. The phone lady said that they don't tow modified or lowered vehicles. I told her this is the most UNmodified car they will ever experience. Had to explain, she just assumed it was a hotrod.

2.3 hours later, large flatbed truck shows up. Driver is not in good mood from the start. He first hooked onto the front axle right in the middle, placing the J-hook around the tie rod also. I told him he was doing it wrong, and he got upset with me. Some words were exchanged when I informed him I have an engineering degree, and showed him what he had done. Driver said "Fine, hook it up however you want". So, I got on my back and hooked some of the greasiest chains you ever saw around the ends of my front axle at the spring perches.

Driver did the rest of the loading, under my watchful eye. Once we started driving, I asked him to please keep the speed under 55 MPH so the visor over the windshield doesn't blow off (what I was really worried about was the original top material possibly flapping in the high wind). The speed limit was 45 and one small part of 55 on the way to my house. He got upset that I would even mention it. He did start to creep past 55 close to 60 MPH once, and I brought it to his attention. He looked at me like he was going to throw me out of his truck.

Once we got to my house, the driver said he wasn't going to back up to the shop, he would ONLY drop the car on the street in front of my house. I said "OK fine. That's where I want it". Unloading was uneventful.

I tipped him $10 (even though he REALLY didn't deserve it) and thanked him.

That's my one and only experience. AAA road service member since 1987.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #40
77Birdman

ps, that sounds like a less than delightful experience. I think I would have told him to leave and call AAA and request another tow truck. At least you took the high road and gave him a tip though, not sure I would have gone that far and I'm pretty easy going.
(I had a roll off dumpster delivery on a job years ago, the driver got out of his truck with a bad attitude and started complaining- I promptly told him to leave my job site and not come back. I got on my phone and started to call his office to cancel our services. His attitude made a 180 and he did what was needed. Funny thing is that started a great relationship that lasted for years. He would go out of his way to help me out. When he showed up on our site there was always coffee for him, etc.)
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote