Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
russcc

Default Converting Lockheed brake to Bendix

Need some parts info help converting '40 backing plates to Bendix. I know you can buy them, but as a former machinist, I prefer the challenge of doing it myself. What I would like to know is if the F 1 wheel cylinders, brake shoes, adjuster and springs will work on the Lockheed backing plates. I don't want to use the F 1 backing plate and cut the spindles.
I understand that the #29 brake shoes that fit a late '40s to early 50's Buick will work. Will this combination work with the stock '40 drums ?
Thank you Fordbrainers.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Converting Lockheed brake to Bendix

Try looking over at HAMB. Someone was doing what you propose over there.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Lanny

hi Russ, here is a link to a rich b ad. I bought this same set-up from him a couple
years ago, and it worked out great, with just a little grinding on inside bearing.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194388

Old 04-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
hi Russ, here is a link to a rich b ad. I bought this same set-up from him a couple
years ago, and it worked out great, with just a little grinding on inside bearing.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194388

Lanny,

One of us doesn't understand what Russ is trying too do. I assumed he wanted to start with a set of '39-'48 Lockeed brake backing plates and convert them to Bendix style.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Converting Lockheed brake to Bendix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Need some parts info help converting '40 backing plates to Bendix. I know you can buy them, but as a former machinist, I prefer the challenge of doing it myself. What I would like to know is if the F 1 wheel cylinders, brake shoes, adjuster and springs will work on the Lockheed backing plates. I don't want to use the F 1 backing plate and cut the spindles.
I understand that the #29 brake shoes that fit a late '40s to early 50's Buick will work. Will this combination work with the stock '40 drums ?
Thank you Fordbrainers.
Are you saying that you have to cut the spindles to use the F 1 brakes..? I have them on the front of my 40 and did nothing to the spindles. Just used the F1 hub and drums and backing plates.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Andy

It is easier to convert 46-48 backing plates. I did a set to use with the Buick aluminum drums. I have a set of the Wilson welding plates now. I believe he enclosed the parts boxes with the plates. I will check.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Jay in Mass

X2 what Ken/Alibama just stated.
I have them on my 40 and also on my 34. You don't have to cut the spindles. It's a bolt on. All you need to do is change the inner bearing and seal.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Thank you Fordbrainers.
One trick on the plates will be lowering the wheel cylinder to use the bendix style #29 shoes. Rear brake levers will also be a challenge. I just bought a set of original lincoln rear plates and a forum member gave me these part numbers:

wheel cylinders Raybestos WC7563 & WC7564 may work for you.

Raybestos 30PG shoes

H7139 spring kit

Adjusters are H1500

I sold all my lockheed backing plates or I would show you side by side pictures of lockheed vs bendix

Last edited by mrtexas; 04-18-2016 at 08:32 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
Brian

slightly off topic, but related. Some years ago, I adapted the rear backing plates from 60's Dodge/ International pick-up, to fit up to the front of a 46 pick-up. These things are 12" Bendix style with identical bolt pattern/ centre hole dimensions as 39-48 stub axles, but the offset is different. As I recall, the Dodge used wider brake shoes too, but I simply cut them down to suit. Had to change the front hoses too. But, really, a cheap easy conversion if you've access to a lathe and welding gear.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #10
russcc

Thank you all for your responses. I plan to do the front brakes on the '40 first. It sounds like the F 1 is a straight forward swap. Vern Tardel's book is saying that the
F1/F100 front brakes only require a little "whittling" at the top of the spindle to clear the wheel cylinder. So If I get this right, I need F1/100 front backing plates, and cut the top of the spindle to clear the wheel cylinder. Can I use the '40 drums or do I need f1/100 drums. Thank you fordbrainers.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #11
Ken/Alabama

You'll need the F1 drums.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
Vanspeed

I put f-1 brakes on the front of my 31 coupe a few years back but do not remember having to shave anything off the spindle. I was using round back spindles. If you do need to shave it, I can't imagine it is very much.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You need drums that match your hubs, F1 hubs need F1 drums and F100 hubs need f100 drums. On the F1 you can use later Ford F150 rear drums. If I remember correctly on the spindles, it depends of the year of spindle used, some require a slight clearance cut and some do not.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #14
glennpm

Would this conversion work with my 32 spindles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3573.jpg (61.6 KB, 101 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Andy

That is what is on my 32. You use a kit which is a pair of spacer rings to center the backing plates and spacers for the bearings. You slot the backing plate holes. I don't see a thrust bearing in the picture. I hope it is not a Torrington bearing under the king pin cap. That king pin is not made for that. I use the stock pins and bearings.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
glennpm

Yes Andy I have a kit that I bought from Richard Lacy (link below). I bought the spacer and the king pin kits which has a bearing that goes underneath the axle, between it and the lower part of the spindle. My question though is would this Bendix backing plate change work with it? Would it require grinding the top of the spindle plate?

http://www.earlyv8garage.net/
Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Andy

I did not realize you were not the originater of this thread when I replied. You need a new thread so the OP can get replies for him. Pls start one.
The Bendix plates will work with the 32 spindles and the torrington bearings using the std. kit. The problem is I have not heard anything good about the Torrington bearings and if you go back to the stock bearing on top arrangement, the bearing hits the Bendix backing plates. You will need later spindles.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
glennpm

Thank you Andy!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #19
russcc

Good info Fordbrainers. I will use the original Lockheed backing plates and modify them instead of switching to F1, so I can use the original backing plates and drums.
Has any one actually done this conversion using the Lockheed backing plates, and #29 Buick shoes with the stock drums ?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have read of a lot of brake modifications but never that one. You would think if it could be done without a lot of effort you would see articles on it. Be interesting to see what you find out.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote