Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #21
jquinlan

Default Re: axle key

I recently bought a 29 Fordor and went over it pretty thoroughly before taking her on a trip last month. It seemed like it was in really good shape and had a beautiful engine. One thing I didn't check was the torque of the rear hubs. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from probably didn't hear about torqueing to 100 pounds. The car seemed to run great during the trip to northern Alabama where we were going to meet up with a new MARC club and tour in the mountains.

After driving 275 miles the axle sheared right off !!! The hub had a ton of wear inside and also had to be replaced. Needless to say it was an interesting trip and I met the coolest Alabama Model 'A' folks in the world who helped us make the tour.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9163.jpg (42.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #22
Mike Peters

Same guy. We got a service call and I went. Super cold morning and a Detroit 71 series wouldn't start. Big surprise huh. I pull up and this clown has the mouth flipped open and is grabbing and firing up the rose bud. The driver is standing next to him, I just kinda grab him by the arm and pull him back with me. This monkey starts waving that torch along the engine block to warm it up. Of course as was common in the day was a big ass can of ether mounted on the firewall. That tells me the engine is already ether bound. It didn't take long and the side of that engine came apart, blew the tire right off the rim and broke his arm in a couple places.
So, I then had to take him to the hospital and then tow the truck to the shop and change an engine.
Patrick L. is offline Report Post

WOW! Lucky the guy was't killed. I have an 8-71 Detroit in an old grain truck. I always plug in the block heater on cold days. No ether. Scary story.

Back to the main subject, I just acquired a 31 Fordor and pulled the rear drums for inspection of brakes. After removing the axle nut cotter pin, I discovered that the axle nut was only finger tight. No hub damage that I could see, but very glad I discovered the loose nuts before something dire occurred.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Same guy. We got a service call and I went. Super cold morning and a Detroit 71 series wouldn't start. Big surprise huh. I pull up and this clown has the mouth flipped open and is grabbing and firing up the rose bud. The driver is standing next to him, I just kinda grab him by the arm and pull him back with me. This monkey starts waving that torch along the engine block to warm it up. Of course as was common in the day was a big ass can of ether mounted on the firewall. That tells me the engine is already ether bound. It didn't take long and the side of that engine came apart, blew the tire right off the rim and broke his arm in a couple places.
So, I then had to take him to the hospital and then tow the truck to the shop and change an engine.
Patrick L. is offline Report Post

WOW! Lucky the guy was't killed. I have an 8-71 Detroit in an old grain truck. I always plug in the block heater on cold days. No ether. Scary story.

Back to the main subject, I just acquired a 31 Fordor and pulled the rear drums for inspection of brakes. After removing the axle nut cotter pin, I discovered that the axle nut was only finger tight. No hub damage that I could see, but very glad I discovered the loose nuts before something dire occurred.

I miss those old 2 stroke Detroits. I thought they were great engines but they didn't like starting in real cold weather without some type of help.

Its surprising the things one sees working on these old monsters.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #24
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Remove the shear key and the Model A will not go. The axle will spin in the drum because the friction of the tapered axle-drum hub cannot react the driveline torque.
Wrong Bob, The taper drives it. Why do you have to use a puller to get the hub and drum off.

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #25
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Wrong Bob, The taper drives it. Why do you have to use a puller to get the hub and drum off.

Bill

Don't tighten that nut as it should be and the hub can be pulled off by hand. Thats why some folks think they can leave that nut loose thinking the key will do all the driving.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote