Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Gino

Default %$#& autolite 1100 carb

Hi, I hope it is ok that I post here. In short I can’t seem to get the automatic choke to be set right. Also now the carb is leaking gas. 200/6cyl engine.
I’m very tired of working on this carb, it is brand new. I think I paid around $200 for it. Is there a better carb out there. Thanks
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: %$#& autolite 1100 carb

I am only lightly familiar with the 200 cid 6-cylinder engine family but I remember that they went through several changes over the many years that it was produced. This question may fit the late V8 forum better for folks that view that section more.

I can only speak generally so I'll just impart what I can. Most automatic choke set ups on earlier cars use engine created heat to affect the metallic operating spring mechanism that opens the choke butterfly valve. Exhaust is the usual heat source. To get the exhaust to flow there may be a heat riser in the manifold system to concentrate heat where it needs to be. There can be problems with those systems. There can be heat tubes that allow hot air to travel to the control spring containment and those can get plugged up. There are sometimes vacuum ports that allow the the heated air to be drawn up to the spring containment area and those can leak or get plugged up. The linkage between the spring control and the butterfly valve can get excessively loose or seized up from crud build up.

Without knowing what year and model of vehicle, a person would be hard pressed to give accurate advice on how to approach a repair for your problem.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
J Franklin

I changed to a manual choke when I used this carb on another make of car. The carb has worked well for me. Is your problem on the initial setting cold? Or not opening fully when hot?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Ggmac

You know how to start the car with an automatic choke ? If not here goes , you get in turn key on ( just on position, not crank ) push accelerator pedal to floor ( this sets the choke ) then crank the car , hopefully starting it . You do not to have the key in the on position if its not an electric automatic choke . ( no wire going to the black choke housing )
Pm me if you need help setting the choke and high idle .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
Gino

Hi, yes I meant to use another forum but I’m happy to hear from you folks. I guess what I would say is I can’t seem to get the setting right. I talked with a gentleman today and he explained that the adjustment must be made in very little increments, even though you will probably not see the choke move re. Open or close. I will try to pm, however I was unable to recently, forgive my poor use of a computer. I like letting those who help know what happens and so I shall. Thanks
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
scicala

Just a general rule of thumb concerning adjusting auto choke tension. When the engine is completely cooled down (overnight), loosen the three clamp screws on the cap and rotate it until there is just barely enough tension to close the choke plate all the way. Make sure if you do this, to hold the throttle opened very slightly to make sure you don't hang up on the fast idle cam. This is with the engine off of course. If you have choke parts that are not working, like a burned through hot air tube causing actual exhaust to gum up the choke housing, that's another story.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
J Franklin

Sal is correct, but you need to have all the moving parts completely free to move correctly, no binding or friction.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote