Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Running Hot When Not Moving

The 180 thermostats should not run a lot hotter than 185-190 deg on a clean engine with a proper radiator good flow from the pumps and good air flow through the radiator. So, IMO there are one or several issues here contributing to the higher temps. As already posted, ignition can be one of them.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-09-2021 at 01:20 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #22
aussie merc

fan shrouds are not always the answer a badly designed shroud can actually cause over heating when moving check rad if its clean inside and out make sure the fins haven't been folded over [blocking air flow] low speed or idle overheating is generally low coolant flow so check pump to housing clearance and test thermostats before anything else remember henry didnt put a shroud on it and it ran fine not to say there wasnt room for improvement
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #23
billybronco1

I'm running 50/50 anti freeze right now, I do remember the previous owner saying he ran straight water with water wetter in the summer and it would run cooler, I need to try that, with just a little anti freeze. The system does hold a lot of fluid for sure.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:56 PM   #24
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Billybronco, It sounds hurtful but maybe gently explore a safe scenario where you actually get a boil-over condition?

You don't say you've been to that place yet.

That could define some boundaries. I learned things when it has happened to me.

You've had it less than a year. C'mon join the club!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 06-08-2021 at 11:02 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #25
koates

Fit two new water pumps which have the sealed bearings and greatly improved impellers for increased water flow. Dropped the temp on a warm day by about 8 deg approx. on two cars I fitted them to, a 34 & a 36 V8. .Also a 6 volt fan will pull about 20 amps current which you would not be able to have turned on for very long because your original third brush generator would not cover that. Water wetter is good also. Check the water flow through your radiator tubes. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #26
billybronco1

If I drain an flush the system completely and fill with distilled water, how much antifreeze would you add just for corrosion inhibitor? The way I see it is the system holds 22 quarts, water wetter says run 15% antifreeze so that is about 1 gallon antifreeze and 4 gallons of water.

Last edited by billybronco1; 06-09-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

You mentioned that it only went up to 130 degrees without the thermostats - during cooler weather. This got me to thinking a bit . . .

If it was mine, before I'd start trying all sorts of things, I'd pull the thermostats and see what temps it runs at on hot days with no thermostats. If it can maintain a good temp at idle on hot days, then you know your system has the cooling capacity to handle the heat.

You need to know that the system can handle the engine's cooling requirements - before you start changing things.

Once you've proven this, then you may want to look at your thermostats and potentially the amount of restriction they bring into the system --- maybe there is an issue there? I've never ran 21 stud engines with head-mounted water pumps, so I have no practical experiences to share - but I always try to work from a baseline situation (removing as many variables as possible) - when looking for answers to hard problems.

Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #28
Seth Swoboda

I had a similar problem in a '47 Ford. I removed the radiator and had it thoroughly cleaned. There were many tubes in the radiator that were blocked or partially blocked not allowing coolant to flow efficiently. Your radiator need to be working at 100% capacity.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #29
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
fan shrouds are not always the answer a badly designed shroud can actually cause over heating when moving check rad if its clean inside and out make sure the fins haven't been folded over [blocking air flow] low speed or idle overheating is generally low coolant flow so check pump to housing clearance and test thermostats before anything else remember henry didnt put a shroud on it and it ran fine not to say there wasnt room for improvement
The obvious answer is use a well designed shroud. I think almost all modern cars have fan shrouds. Before I installed my fan shroud the car would tend to overheat. If my car was in a parade, I would have this problem. As soon as I would be able to drive at normal speeds for a few blocks, the temp came right down.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #30
Bored&Stroked

My 32 Cabriolet has a re-cored original radiator, no pressure cap and my engine is a fairly stout 42 Merc, 284 cubic inch stroker. The timing is correct (about 24 degrees total) with about 8 initial. I have Skips water pumps and 160 degree thermostats.

I have been idling in traffic trying to get in/out of the Columbus GoodGuys show at 90 degrees outside. The engine got up to about 192 or so, but never higher.

So, if you have a good radiator and good water pumps and the correct timing, these engines should NOT run hot.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #31
G.M.

How hot is the outside temp ? And how long did you let it run and how hot does
it get? G.M.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #32
billybronco1

Right now I'm in the middle of flushing out the system. After the first drain of 50/50 water antifreeze I filled it with water and took it for a ride. Temp outside about 87. Went for a few miles so the therms could open. Came home and let it idle for about 5 minutes, temp went up to 200, I shut her down and checked the temp at the gauge connection on the engine with a inferred thermometer and it was at 205, she was very hot but not boiling over. More flushing tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #33
mumpsimus

Is there a fan shroud that will fit a 1937 with the fan up on the generator? I did a quick search on the www, but didn't see much.
mumpsimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #34
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpsimus View Post
Is there a fan shroud that will fit a 1937 with the fan up on the generator? I did a quick search on the www, but didn't see much.
I think they made one for the trucks. G.M.
This was a larger truck mounted upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (80.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 06-11-2021 at 10:33 AM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Have you removed the thermostats and given it the same test as above?

You need to establish a cooling baseline - to know that your radiator, water pumps and fan can cool the engine without any restrictions . . . then go from there. If not, then you'll need to address any/all those issues first.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I agree with B&S. Remove the thermostats and see where the rest of the system is at.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-14-2021 at 09:07 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #37
billybronco1

After flushing several times, reducing antifreeze to 15% and a bottle of water wetter, she is running at about 180-190 degrees now. I know she runs way too cool without thermostats, that was a problem before as she was not running at her best and plugs showed it, very black and carboned up. Now running hot very little carbon build up.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #38
Supertuner700

If you do not want to run antifreeze you can add a rust inhibitor which is better than the antifreeze anyway for rust. Also purple ice is better than water wetter. Water wetter has problems if it touches oil, which should not happen but can.

A fan shroud always helps the fan move air thru the whole radiator. My 1938 1.5 ton has a fan shroud if you want a picture (it looks factory) I have an electric fan on right now because of 12neg conversion and didn't have the pulley to mount the fan.

Have you cleaned the outside of the radiator, mine was filthy and a good cleaning dropped temps.
Supertuner700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #39
Pat's Ride

Well I'm a new guy here with my first post. I just bought a 38 with a flathead and know very little and will need to learn a lot.

With that said my 38 has the mechanical fan and an electric fan on the front of the radiator. The electric one is on a switch by itself and the previous owner said "just have it on all the time".

I don't care for that so I turn it on as I feel it's needed, and it does bring down the temp when turned on.

Wish I had more for you, but I'm just stating to learn about these old Fords. ~Pat
Pat's Ride is offline   Reply With Quote