Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
dwaynec

Default 37 Headlight Wiring

When I bought my '37 Fordor the headlights did not work. After much trying and cussing I finally got them to work, but not the way the owners manual states they should.

When I got them to work they were turned off with the tabs on the steering wheel switch horizontal instead of vertical. One "click" clockwise turned the parking lights on, two "clicks" clockwise from horizontal turned on low beams and three "clicks" clockwise from horizontal turned on the high beams. OK, but not right!

I want to get the lights working so when I turn the switch one "click" clockwise from vertical I have parking lights. One "click" counter clockwise from vertical for low beams, etc..

Right now the reproduction switch i have has the notch in the disk at the bottom, as is the notch in the bottom of the housing. The rotating contact disk is oriented so that when looking at it from the front it has a "button" at about 11 o'clock, 7 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Is this all correct?

Based on the wiring diagram for the 37 headlight switch I have annotated on the attached images where I think the wires should be connected. Is what I have correct?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scanned switch front.jpg (11.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg scanned switch back.jpg (14.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1937.jpg (96.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1937 ford headlamp housing.jpg (8.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1937 ford headlight contact.jpg (11.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
dwaynec

Default Re: 37 Headlight Wiring

Anybody able to help out? Biggest questions are do I have the wires potentially connected to the correct lugs. I have my doubts as it looks to me that the way I have the wires potentially connected the parking lights, low beams and high beams would all be on at the same time.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Maybe: Your diagram does not appear correct. From the rear of the switch you will see two groups of three terminals that all three of the terminals are connected together or electrically common to each other. The third group of three each terminal is independent from the others in this group. Notice the switch on the wiring diagram the independent group does not have lines between the circular terminals. The independent terminals are where you place the park BY, low BR, and high BG wires. To make things bad the wiring diagram is incorrect, the BR and BG wires should be swapped. this will determine which headlight will light first when turning CCW low or high beam. Below is the wiring for the light switch for 35-36 it has more detail including the square cut out location.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35-36 Light Switch Wiring.pdf (619.6 KB, 41 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
dwaynec

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Terry, thank you so very much for the info. What you gave me is exactly what I wanted.