Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Sawbones

Default Why I built a Flathead

Long read, settle in. Nothing really important...

About 10 years ago, my late Father bought a Flathead. It might have been a Merc but I'm not sure. We opened it up and there were cracks all over on the pan rails. He sold off the block and internals, probably at a loss, and that was the end of it. He never stopped talking about how they sounded though and I guess it stuck with me.

About a year ago for some reason I decided I wanted to build a Flathead. I guess my motivation was remembrance of my Father and I wanted to own that sound. I'd never heard one in person and videos just weren't cutting it. I found a dismantled 8BA within striking distance and bought it off the pictures alone. A Friend of mine lives not far from where it was so he hauled it to my place for me. When it arrived, things were missing and things were swapped out but the block seemed good visually. I sent the block to Jensens Engine Technologies in Nescopeck PA for hot tanking, shot peen and mag flux. A few weeks later he called and said it was good to go.

The next shop was Exton Automotive Machining in Canadensis PA. Mr Exton would often have engines dynoed at Jensens so when I told him that Jensen did the mag flux, he took it as good to go. A lot of work and $1800 later, Mr. Exton calls me and he sounds pretty hot. He found a crack in the lifter valley when going over his own work and was all but calling BS on me having it mag fluxed at Jensen. I showed him receipts and told him to call Jensen. Eventually he was convinced that this engine was given the thumbs up by Jensen but he was pretty stunned about it, as was I. Jensen is a big shop around here. The crack was right on a coolant passage. Neither of us wanted to scrap it at this point. He did a thing with some Dev Con epoxy and instructed me to get Pioneer ceramic block sealant and "You'd better never overheat this F-kin thing!". As for Jensen, when I called him it was like pulling teeth for him to admit he might have missed something even after Mr. Exton had talked to him about it. Heck with it. I won't be back there.

Just about Valentines day last year, I found another 8BA and it was reasonably complete. It was locked solid and when I pulled the heads there were huge pits in #5 and #6. The heads went to Mr. Exton and he made them nice for me.

The last shop involved was Snyders Auto Machine Shop out in Northumberland. The engine that Exton did all the work on came to me bored .060" over. Mr. Exton bored it to .080" over and I heard from a bunch of people to get the crank balanced so I did it. $250 ish was pretty cheap piece of mind.

I think it was about 5 months after I sent all the internals of the engine, the front pulley and the flywheel to Snyder when he finally called and said everything was ready for pickup. Sending a stromboli to your shop really seems to help with getting your stuff back a little quicker! Anyway I started assembling. Then tearing down and assembling again. Then once more tearing down and back together but finally I had gotten everything right with the help of that red factory service manual, research, and advice from people who knew about these things. This engine was a completely different ballgame from anything I had done before. Once I got on top of how it was built though, it was the nicest thing to work on and I really enjoyed myself. I'd go to the shed where I was building a few hours here and there and it was like my personal little Palace of Zen.

Now to just two weeks ago. I had it complete and it was looking great. I made up a little wiring harness to make the bench run fairly trouble free. I primed the oil pump and I'd get 60PSI off the starter for oil pressure. A very good Friend of mine wanted to be there for the first fire up so I had to wait until yesterday. We lifted the rear end of the engine and jammed a tire underneath it. We put some cargo straps to the desk that I built the engine on to keep it from barrel rolling. We were ready!

About half an hour went until I finally had good spark. Turns out I wasn't as thorough on the points as I thought. It barked and would run for a few seconds and die but it sounded awesome! Then another hour or so until I realized my fuel supply wasn't set up right. It would start up when I primed the carb but starve for fuel pretty quick. I also advanced the distributor a little bit.

We put the fuel tank up on a step ladder and eliminated the electric pump. Gravity feed direct to the mechanical pump.

Choke, full throttle, it lit up without much effort and I was finally able to keep it running. It warmed up to 180-190 on both sides and held right there. 45 PSI when idling on the oil pressure. After I finally had it idling nice, I thought about Dad, kinda choked up a little bit. It sounds just as sweet as he talked about. Now I know. I don't have much idea what I'm going to do with this engine as I have nothing to put it in and I dumped WAY too much money into it but it's worth every penny to finally know the real magic behind the sound.

The Dev Con seems to have held as well. No water in the oil.

I still have the other block. I was thinking about building a pressure test kit. If .060" would clean up the bores, I have a good set of pistons for it and enough other parts to build a shortblock.

After that, dual straight pipes, or dual glasspacks? I don't know. Maybe even actual mufflers but of course dual pipes. Only way to go. Wouldn't mind a Fordor sedan.
Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Why I built a Flathead

Good story, but I am a little confused. It sounds like you used the first block with the "Dev-Con;" is that correct?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #3
corvette8n

Great story, it would be easier to put it in a shoebox Ford 49-53 or a 49 or up p/u, me I would like to build an AV8(unfortunately no room or money).
I been guilty of standing behind my header equipped, duel exhaust ‘41 and listening to it idle for many minutes.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
19Fordy

Sawbones, Your dad would be proud of you. You did good.
The money you spent was well worth the satisfaction of a dream fullfilled.
Here's a thread worth reading.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...tting.1092729/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
Shoebox

Nice read!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Great story, it would be easier to put it in a shoebox Ford 49-53 or a 49 or up p/u, me I would like to build an AV8(unfortunately no room or money).
I been guilty of standing behind my header equipped, duel exhaust ‘41 and listening to it idle for many minutes.
Minutes??? I can do that for hours. And as far as the long post is concerned my best buddy likes to say that on my tombstone it will never say "He was a man of few words"... Welcome to the FLATHEAD V8. You are, in a word Doomed. My old friends here on the barn could point out that my last three old fords have been powered by cummins, a toyota and lastly a ford flathead six, but believe me you, I am gonna build an 8ba with a merc crank for my wood wagon and reading your thread just cements the fact that there is just nothing quite like a flathead V8. Your dad was a very wise man indeed.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:02 PM   #7
Karl Wolf

Not to take away from a great story, I've got a detail to add.
Mag is good for deck surface, combustion area.
Not real practical for the rest of the block.
Pressure check takes care of lifter valley,
and all other surfaces not in the combustion area.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #8
mfirth

GB you are so right. I have "the disease" too. Flatheaditis ! The sound, the smell & even the "look" is addicting ..... help !
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #9
FRANK PKNY

If you decide to put it into an earlier v8 car or truck, you need to change the pan to a truck pan. very hard to find a good one. I have a good truck pan that I would sell , they are in very short supply, I was going to install a merc 8 engine in my 39 but decided to go with a 59 engine, just because I have four blocks and one was ready to go. $350,00 for the pan and I will ship it included in the price. If your intrested let me know. It took me over a year and a lot of searching to find this pan. I have some videos on YouTube of this engine stand if you want to listen and see some flathead engines being tested. go to
FRANKPKNY CASTLE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT YOUR FATHER IS WATCHING WITH A SMILE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.jpg (95.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:27 AM   #10
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Good story, but I am a little confused. It sounds like you used the first block with the "Dev-Con;" is that correct?
Yep, I went with the Dev Con block. By the time he found the crack, he had done a lot of work on it and he was confident with it so long as I mind my p's and q's.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #11
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
Not to take away from a great story, I've got a detail to add.
Mag is good for deck surface, combustion area.
Not real practical for the rest of the block.
Pressure check takes care of lifter valley,
and all other surfaces not in the combustion area.

Karl
Yea, I had a lot to learn. Still, if Jensen magged it properly he'd have found the crack. Exton found it with a mag flux rig. But it might be better this way. If Jensen had found the crack I might have written it off as junk. If the Devcon and the block sealer I have yet to run doesn't hold, I think the engine can be tore down and the crack can be brazed.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:31 AM   #12
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
If you decide to put it into an earlier v8 car or truck, you need to change the pan to a truck pan. very hard to find a good one. I have a good truck pan that I would sell , they are in very short supply, I was going to install a merc 8 engine in my 39 but decided to go with a 59 engine, just because I have four blocks and one was ready to go. $350,00 for the pan and I will ship it included in the price. If your intrested let me know. It took me over a year and a lot of searching to find this pan. I have some videos on YouTube of this engine stand if you want to listen and see some flathead engines being tested. go to
FRANKPKNY CASTLE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT YOUR FATHER IS WATCHING WITH A SMILE!
I guess I got super lucky then. The Devcon block came with a good truck pan.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #13
Sawbones

Quote:
Right now all I have is an IH Scout 800 roller chassis. It's going to get mounted to that. I figure a guy could do worse. I'm not trying to do some Rat Rod BS, I just want to drive my Flathead but I don't have much for money. Later down the road if I can find something worth putting this engine into I don't have to feel committed to the IH chassis.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:43 AM   #14
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Minutes??? I can do that for hours. And as far as the long post is concerned my best buddy likes to say that on my tombstone it will never say "He was a man of few words"... Welcome to the FLATHEAD V8. You are, in a word Doomed. My old friends here on the barn could point out that my last three old fords have been powered by cummins, a toyota and lastly a ford flathead six, but believe me you, I am gonna build an 8ba with a merc crank for my wood wagon and reading your thread just cements the fact that there is just nothing quite like a flathead V8. Your dad was a very wise man indeed.
I have yet to do the block sealer that the Machinist recommended. It says to drive it for a few hundred miles so I figure a few hours on the bench will have to do. I'll have lots of time to hear that sweet song! I'll be checking for water in the oil periodically during the run. I'm curious if this stuff will hold. If it doesn't, I figure, or hope, it can be brazed. He was wise, knowledgeable, patient, and he wasn't afraid of sentimental things. To him it was common knowledge that Flatheads sound amazing.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #15
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
This is something that he really wanted. He kept looking half heartedly after the first engine but it just didn't pan out.
I'll check that out.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #16
Sawbones

Quote:
If a Shoebox came up in any kind of shape that I could afford, I wouldn't mind it a bit. My Uncle had a 49 Merc. He said that was his "Tail gettin car". My Dad had a 51 Ford Custom Deluxe or maybe a Customline(???) and I remember it from when I was about 4 years old.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #17
Sawbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Ok, I remember reading about that. Excessive running with no load isn't good for your cylinder walls. I don't know either way but it seems loading the engine or otherwise running it under real world conditions is the best way. I want to do the block sealer stuff and make sure this engine is going to hold up before I mount it. I was thinking if I had the truck trans with the drum park brake I could load the engine to a degree by feathering the brake. It's no problem for me to put oil down the plug holes and wheel it over once a month to keep the oil up.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #18
tubman

Just a comment. I have had very good luck with regular "JB Weld" fixing all kinds of things. I hear "Dev-Con" is even better and comes in several varieties depending on what the task requires. I think you may be OK. It's never good to overheat an engine under any circumstances.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbones View Post
Ok, I remember reading about that. Excessive running with no load isn't good for your cylinder walls. I don't know either way but it seems loading the engine or otherwise running it under real world conditions is the best way. I want to do the block sealer stuff and make sure this engine is going to hold up before I mount it. I was thinking if I had the truck trans with the drum park brake I could load the engine to a degree by feathering the brake. It's no problem for me to put oil down the plug holes and wheel it over once a month to keep the oil up.
On my stand I have a place where I jamb a 2x4 and lever it against the flywheel to create a load. A bucket of water for dipping is alongside. On your band brake you will want to direct a good stream from a garden hose to keep things cool.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #20
1952henry

Nice story. Kudos to you for honoring your dad.