Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Anyone Remember Ford Parts Obsolete Inc.

I used to look forward to seeing Bill Norton when he came up to the Portland Swap Meet. What a character! He left LA and went to Texas and I think he came back to LA. I heard that he passed away. Does anyone know what happened to his stuff? He certainly was a one of kind guy! He had a store there in LA but I don't know what it was called.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #22
barnfind08

Ford Parts Obsolete North Hollywood. He had a auction before going to Texas.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
blucar

Hmmm.. If you enlarge the attached pix you will see A Ford Obsolete decal on the quarter window of my '36 Ford coupe.. The decal has been on the window since '63-64.
Keep thinking about scraping the decal off of the window, then I always stop short of doing that..
As I recall the guys from Ford Obsolete traveled all around the country buying up old parts room stock from dealers that had never got around to selling the parts, and Ford would not take the parts back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry.5.jpg (66.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #24
petehoovie

blucar - the condition of you garage makes us kindred spirits....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #25
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Hmmm.. If you enlarge the attached pix you will see A Ford Obsolete decal on the quarter window of my '36 Ford coupe.. The decal has been on the window since '63-64.
Keep thinking about scraping the decal off of the window, then I always stop short of doing that..
As I recall the guys from Ford Obsolete traveled all around the country buying up old parts room stock from dealers that had never got around to selling the parts, and Ford would not take the parts back.
Why is that 36 buried in the garage? Is that the one in your avatar?
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
deuce_roadster

Here in Washington, sometime in the late 50s the legislature started taxing businesses on what they had in inventory, about that same time, Ford stopped taking returns from dealerships parts departments. I know people who found NOS parts with tags still on them being dumped at wrecking yards via dump truck. It was a golden opportunity for those with good business sense to scoop up all they could find. One of my best friends bought out 3 dealerships old stock in the Seattle area.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #27
supereal

They made many of their parts, which were usually low quality, when they were in Oklahoma. I have found their old catalogs in cars now and them. Quality parts are getting scarce, and pricey. We need to support the good places to preserve the source. When the only sources are "off shore", the hobby will wither and die.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #28
deucemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
They made many of their parts, which were usually low quality, when they were in Oklahoma. I have found their old catalogs in cars now and them. Quality parts are getting scarce, and pricey. We need to support the good places to preserve the source. When the only sources are "off shore", the hobby will wither and die.
Not the same people at all. Joe carried some Argentine parts like hole filler grilles, but most of the stuff was nos or nor and always good prices and friendly staff.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #29
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
True what deucemac says above....two TOTALLY DIFFERENT entities. That outfit in OKC cobbles-together some of the worst, ill-fashioned, shameful junk to come along since the Argentina crap that many of us remember from the '60s and '70s. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
Why is that 36 buried in the garage? Is that the one in your avatar?
I have to shamefully admit that the car in the garage and the one shown in my Avatar are one in the same.
I have a vary large oversized garage which very comfortably holds four cars, plus a work area. The '36 has it's own private corner, surrounded by my treasure trove of vintage Ford parts/accessories.
I am at a point in my life where I have come to the conclusion that I need to down size my fleet, to that end I have sold three cars this year, have three more for sale.
I had hoped to get enough clutter cleared out of my life that would allow me to get busy and get "Henry" back on the road.