Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Rear Hub scare

Decided today was a good day to go through the rear end on the A.

Started with banjo and, although the fluid was very low and twice as thick as 600W should be, all gears were intact and surfaces showing virtually no wear. Flushed it out and put in fresh lube.

And that, as they say, was the good news part of the day.

Then I pulled the wheels off.... grease e v e r y w h e r e..... The entire back of the drivers side wheel was coated as was the castle nut. Pax side had a little but about what I would expect.

Pulled the cotter pin and was able to.... (ready for this?) remove the nut AND the hub without tools...... both sides.

Boy, I'm thinking trouble ahead......

Drivers side hub had no fiber washer to seal the end. Drivers side had a rubber hose washer. (I've seen that used on other cars so I have no issue with it as long as a quality one is used. This one was not)

First glance had me still worried about damage....but I seem to have received a Christmas present from the high priests of all things mechanical. Disassembled inspection shows no damage ... anywhere!

Everything cleaned, lubed and reassembled although I am going to replace the seals and have to decide whether to use silicone seals or order some fiber seals and install them

Last edited by MrWzrd; 12-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Jazzjr

Default Re: Rear Hub scare

You probably have to remove the entire Rear End and Spring. To Look over everything and Replace the inner Axle Seals, as some one put Mud (Heavy Lube) in the Center Housing so as oil would not run out! Not a fun Job, but a Necessary one it sounds like to Me with your Situation. Better change the Drive shaft Seal also while you have it apart.
Differential Repair Ins
http://www.ocmafc.org/Tom%20Endy%27s...20Articles.htm

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/672
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A4245-7374.jpg (22.0 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg A4246-7381.jpg (21.6 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 12-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Perhaps the rear wheel bearing fitting was greased so much that it greased up the oil and the brakes
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
MrWzrd
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjr View Post
You probably have to remove the entire Rear End and Spring. To Look over everything and Replace the inner Axle Seals, as some one put Mud (Heavy Lube) in the Center Housing so as oil would not run out! Not a fun Job, but a Necessary one it sounds like to Me with your Situation. Better change the Drive shaft Seal also while you have it apart.
Differential Repair Ins
Nobody put Mud in the differential.... the lube level was low and old. It was 600W that was in there but it was about as fluid as grease. I've been working my way from front to back putting this thing back in running shape. Mostly it has been cleaning out old crusty, thick, gunky lubricants and putting in fresh although because regular lubrication has been neglected I've been having to replace worn parts and bushings.

The inner axle seals are not leaking at all and unless they start to I'm not pulling the rear end apart.

The grease all over the backside of the wheel was from the missing fiber seal at the very end of the axle. The seal that sits in the groove under the washer and castle nut.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
KR500

An over zealous person with a grease gun at the fitting below the outer portion of the housing underneath may account for having grease into the drum area. There are still many A's which could use a good looking after in their mechanical innards.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote