Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
cwh

Default '41 Ford COE questions

I recently bought a 41 Ford cabover. It's a real solid truck and it runs like a top. I've never owned a vehicle this old and with the flathead engine and 6 volt electrical system(actually runs on 12v at this time). I have a few questions regarding both the powertrain and the electrical system.

First off, the truck has just 10600 miles on it but when the previous owner got it the engine was locked up. He got it loosened up with diesel and it runs great now. It doesn't smoke at startup but after 5 or 10 minutes the exaust gets hot and the oil in the exhaust system starts burning. The truck hasn't been run very much at all for the past years. I'm wondering if this is residual or do I need to replace the rings? I would have thought that if the rings were the culprit it would smoke immediatly. Any thoughts, suggestions?

The truck has really old bias/ply tires. It does vibrate a little up to say 15 but then after that it really developes a shimmy. The U joints seem tight as does the carrier bearing. Is the rear bearing in the 4 speed transmission a problem on these trucks?

Finally the electrical system had a meltdown two owners ago. It currently has a 12 volt battery wired through an ignition switch and solenoid to the starter and coil. All the original wiring is gone. Should I go to a 12 volt system or back to original? Who would be the best source for a wiring harness for the truck? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks for your ear and hope to have a reliable runner soon.

Chris

cwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Gary in Mozarks

Default Re: '41 Ford COE questions

You have a really nice looking truck. I think if you took it out and really drove it a bit the engine oil would sort itself out, so what you really need is to get the tires/shimmy straightened out and drive it. With that few miles I can;t believe it would be tie rods etc. Its probably out of balance tires.

If you put 6v wiring back in the truck it can handle 12v just fine 6V wire is heavier than 12V .
6v vs 12V is sorta a ford, dogde, chevy kind of argument. There isn;t really a right answer Everybody has their preference. 6 volt is more critical of connections etc. If things are properly grounded etc 6v works fine. 12 volt is nice if you want to add accessories or get a jump on the side of the road.

Last edited by Gary in Mozarks; 08-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
oletrux4evr

I agree, with more driving the engine may fix itself.
Beautiful truck! Know where there is another one?
oletrux4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
41ford1

Beautiful truck! Big wheels need good balance. If the rubber isn't weather or age cracked get them balanced. That will eliminate one cause of vibration/shimmy. I agree with the others. Run it out. The engine will most likely clear itself out with some use.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
cwh

Thanks for the compliments. It's really a 15 to 20 year dream come true. I've been looking for the right truck for at least that long.

On another note, drove it a couple of times today. The smoke seems to be clearing up a bit. The tires are definetly biasply. They shook like crazy at all speeds. I still havn't had it over 25 probably. The trans seems to be the vibration that the previous owner was talking about. It gets noisy and vibrates over 20. Not all the time but probably 75% of it. I have a full gasket set and rings for the pistons. I should probably pull the motor and transmission and clean them both up and go through the trans. I'll probably wait until snow starts flying. I gotta get my garage cleaned up so I can shoehorn it in this winter.

41Ford1, The tires are really weather cracked. I don't think any tire shop in thier right mind would touch them unless the tires were coming off and into the dumpster. It would be nice to have some new tires and get the wheels powder coated. They got to come off to get it in the garage anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

I have seen this truck in person. The engine was stuck and I am sure the rings will need to be replaced eventually, but give it a little more time to see if the rings will free up, run some MM in the oil and in the gas. I know that it had some stuck valves that Al got working. I helped a local man rewire his 38 cabover and we could not find a harness for it, we just made one for it, he choose to modify it it anyway with 12 volts and more lights, turn signals, electric fuel pump, but still runs an original flathead. The 38 runs about 40 mph top end and the trans is noisy but does not vibrate. PM me for more info or questions.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
47COE

Nice looking truck.

I totally rewired my 47 COE. Didn't find a wiring harness for it. So I bought a 47 pickup wiring harness and then adapted that. Most of the wiring under the dash was OK, but I had to make up wires and cables for a lot of things. I'm not sure if getting the pickup harness was worth it.

I kept my system 6 volts and it works well. Because I made up much of my own wiring, I was able to use heavy gauge wire just to make sure. Let me know if you would like more details.

I just went to my local tire dealer and bought retread tires: 7.50x20 in front and four traction 8.25x20 for the rear.

What happened to the fuel filler? I don't see it in the photo.

Interesting that the grille is held in place with different latches than my truck has. I wonder when they changed the latches.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I have seen this truck in person. The engine was stuck and I am sure the rings will need to be replaced eventually, but give it a little more time to see if the rings will free up, run some MM in the oil and in the gas. I know that it had some stuck valves that Al got working. I helped a local man rewire his 38 cabover and we could not find a harness for it, we just made one for it, he choose to modify it it anyway with 12 volts and more lights, turn signals, electric fuel pump, but still runs an original flathead. The 38 runs about 40 mph top end and the trans is noisy but does not vibrate. PM me for more info or questions.
Talk about posting in the right forum. I'm sure you know more about this truck than I do. I'll be emailing you shortly to pick your brain about the truck and the rewiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47COE View Post
Nice looking truck.

I totally rewired my 47 COE. Didn't find a wiring harness for it. So I bought a 47 pickup wiring harness and then adapted that. Most of the wiring under the dash was OK, but I had to make up wires and cables for a lot of things. I'm not sure if getting the pickup harness was worth it.

I kept my system 6 volts and it works well. Because I made up much of my own wiring, I was able to use heavy gauge wire just to make sure. Let me know if you would like more details.

I just went to my local tire dealer and bought retread tires: 7.50x20 in front and four traction 8.25x20 for the rear.

What happened to the fuel filler? I don't see it in the photo.

Interesting that the grille is held in place with different latches than my truck has. I wonder when they changed the latches.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I like the truck. It's a work in progress but I'll get there. I have three sons that are stoked to get it on the road. I'll shoot you an email as well and get more details on your rewire.

The previous owner pulled the factory seats and put temp seats in the truck. He had to pull the factory fuel tank for the temp seats. I'll have the re-covered seats tomorrow and the factory fuel tank will be going back in shortly.

The hood latches are getting tossed this winter. The factory ones are in a box in the garage. The only corrosion that I've found is in the drivers windshield frame and the cowl piece below the grill. I'm sure he used those rubber hood latches because the factory ones wouldn't grab solid steel. We'll see.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
cwh

A little update.

Got the truck licensed and road ready. Changed the engine oil and added MM to the crankcase as well as the fuel. Almost no smoke at all anymore. I've only put 20 miles on it but the MM seems to have been the trick.

Drained and replaced the transmission fluid as well. There was some metal in the gear oil. Trans still gets real noisy when under throttle. Under deceleration there is no noise. Almost sounds like a chattering throwout bearing. Engine and trans to come out soon. I want to keep driving it for a few more weeks before the snow flies (and it's coming soon). Any ideas of where to buy parts for these transmissions?

Chris

Last edited by cwh; 09-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

congradulations on driving your truck, glad to hear things are getting better. Joblot in NY has parts for this truck, also Chucks Trucks in Conn?, and several others I will remember later, Does sound like the trans is coming down with gear-itis, are the flakes steel or brass? There are several website with truck info on them. Vanpelts Sales has books on the transmission rebuild. Good luck Alan
Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
47COE

The old non-synchro 4 speeds aren't popular. So once people hear that you have one, you might find yourself swamped with offers of transmissions for little or no money. I've got 3 spares and have turned down the offer of more.

Ask around about local transmission shops with a real mechanic that knows old stuff. I'm glad I found someone as he fixed a problem that I might have otherwise missed through my ignorance of these transmissions.

If I hadn't found this guy I might have got the book from Van Pelts and tackled it myself.

Tom
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Do a compression test on the engine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Kurt in NJ

Joblot automotive is a good source for truck parts, many nos

For years I drove a 46 to fleamarkets, it had the 2 speed rear, after the 49 merc engine it had no problem with 65 --and keeping the wipers working

When we got the 46 it had the original tires, but they were to the cords, the guy at the tire place looked at them---saw "S2" on the sidewall---nylon cords, and said he would give full credit on the recaps for those old original tires.

Put a couple of tons on it and go for a drive, perhaps you can get the tires hot and they will round out.

I have always wanted a COE dumptruck, yours looks very good, if it was mine I would look for a 2 speed rear

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 09-13-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: mo
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Do a compression test on the engine.
Pardon my inexperience but why a compression test? The truck runs really really well. Almost no smoke at all anymore.

On another note, tires are becoming a challenge to locate. I've found a pair of 7.50x20's but need 4 more. I'd like to buy a matching set of 6. I'll probably have to order them. Are bias ply tires the only tires that'll mount on the old split rims? None of the tire shops here in AK suggest anything but bias ply on those old wheels.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
alanwoodieman

Coker in Chatanooga Tn has original mould Firestone tires for the truck-a local Firestone dealer can get them for you from them. Bias ply are the only ones that will be safe on your rims. By the way I have found three more cabovers nearby. One is a 52/53, one is 46 and one that is really nice is a 48. I told my friend with the 38 that we should buy the 48 if we can. I don't know where I would put it!!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
alanwoodieman

I meant to comment about the compression test- It will tell you the condition of the rings, I would also put a vacuum gauge on it to tell more about the valves and their condition. If you have never done such test let us know, I am sure someone will tell you the procedure. Alan [email protected]
Old 09-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Nice truck Chris , I like the bits of wood under the rear wheels ,You are making sure that baby s not gunna run back home .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Philip McCarty

My "34" BB has a 12V battery mounted on the right hand side of the firewall, wired to the starter and an old ford solenoid. All positive ground, but nothing else. The rest of the truck is standard 6v. The 12v runs fine and kicks the truck over when I push the button on the bottomm of the solenoid. I charge the 12v twice a year. Have run this for 10 years. Same starter. No problems. Good Luck
Philip McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
Pardon my inexperience but why a compression test? The truck runs really really well. Almost no smoke at all anymore.

On another note, tires are becoming a challenge to locate. I've found a pair of 7.50x20's but need 4 more. I'd like to buy a matching set of 6. I'll probably have to order them. Are bias ply tires the only tires that will mount on the old split rims? None of the tire shops here in AK suggest anything but bias ply on those old wheels.
If the rings are stuck hard in the piston lands they can easily break and score a cylinder . If the comp. is down when the engine is warm that is a sign of stuck rings. I believe Ron was trying to save you from maybe damaging the motor.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
cwh

Thanks for the nice comments and advice.

Sounds like a compression test is in order before I drive it a bunch. I do have a set of rings for the truck. Probably be a good idea to replace them when I have the engine out.

Thanks for the heads up on the tires. I'll look into those firestones soon.

Chris
Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #21
COE Dan

Chris,

Great truck you have there. I'm back on Ford barn after my recent move to Hawaii. I've got a 47 COE as well and I've had it about 6 years now. Unfortunately, I could not ship it to Hawaii and it awaits my return in long term slumber...I won't tell you where so you don't 'promote' any parts off of it...just kidding.

Anyways, rest assured all of what you're going through is pretty much what I've gone through on mine and this wasn't the only old, big truck I've owned...it's par for the course but solving the problems is highly rewarding and my COE has brought me great pleasure over the short time I've owned it. Here's a couple of pieces of useful info (I think):

1) Tires: I've got 6 old, cracked, worn bias-ply tires. These trucks don't drive fast. If you can get the vibration out, I wouldn't bother replacing a tire unless there is tread separation or it won't hold air. You're not likely to get this truck going fast enough to lose control and go off the road. Having said that, I can only get my truck up to about 30 before my vibration gets real bad. I traced it to one of the rear wheels that is either bent or poorly balanced. I overlook the inconvenience and don't drive it any faster.

Secondly, you won't be able to find radial tires for these rims. In fact, all truck rims with an even wheel diameter (i.e. 18", 19", 20", etc) are bias ply and usually designed for tube-type, multi-piece rims. Radial tires designed for tubeless applications are all half-sizes (i.e. 19.5", 20.5", 22.5"). This is done to prevent your tire shop from "trying to fit" a tubeless tire on a tube-type rim.

Lastly, you talk about a vibration at 15 mph and up. One last thing to consider with bias ply tires... If the vehicle sits for a while (as little as a week) or you drive it in colder temps, then the bias ply tires will develop a 'set'. Essentially, they have a flat spot. Once the tire warms up, the flat spot disappears and the ride smooths out...somewhat. It won't be smooth as glass but better. Also, your rear tires appear to be NDMT...that is, Non-Directional Military Tread...great for on/off road use but not designed solely for highway use. Military trucks of the same era topped out about 45 mph and ride quality was not among the acceptance criteria of the tires. That may solve some of your vibration issue.

Several of the others have mentioned places to get the tires if they do need replacing. Try Coker, Lucas or Universal tire companies. All advertise in Hemmings Motor News.

2) Trans: First of all, if you want a quiet trans, you won't find it in the 4-speed. Unlike the commercial and car trans from Ford, all the gears are straight-cut which results in an impressive whine (especially in the lower gears). Also, the trans is non-synchromesh in all gears requiring you to double-clutch on the way up and both double clutch with a engine speed change on the way down. Can be tricky (took me a month to learn) but once you get the feel, it's like riding a bike...

Will a Ford 3-speed work? Maybe...the engine is no more powerful than the car or pickup but others on this forum might know more. The real challenge with converting to a 3-speed is that the 4-speed is of the more-modern open driveshaft design. Ford's 3-speeds were closed propeller tube designs on the car and commercial vehicles (pickup, panel, etc). I don't know when Ford switched to open driveshaft for the car/pickup...maybe around the 8BA era...(48 and younger).

3) Wiring: I think Rhode Island Wiring makes a harness for the COE...if you want to go totally stock. My truck had been totally rewired for 12V by the previous owner. Mine too caught on fire (badly installed aftermarket ignition switch). Fortunately the fire stopped burning insulation once the short melted through the 10-gauge battery feed wire. But that also killed power to everything while I was driving. I can't imagine what it looked like from the outside. Smoke was billowing out of the cab window while I was driving it and it probably looked like an audition for a Laurel and Hardy sequence. Long story short, I rewired the entire truck, threw out all the aftermarket hot rod crap that didn't work right or wasn't installed right, kept the 12V system but went back to the original ignition switch/push button start. Works like a charm. I've got all the schematics I drew up if you need any assistance wiring/rewiring yours.

Anyways, I'm by no means an expert but I enjoy the tinkering and problem solving and I'm always available to ask a question. If you need my email, just PM me as it's easier to get a hold of me that way.

COE Dan

COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
Django

That looks like a really nice COE.

I hope to have one myself someday.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
cwh

Thanks Dan for the explanation on the bias tires. The rears on my COE are the old non directional military tires. They have a real bad flat spot and any amout of driving doesn't seem to "round them out". I'll just have to get some new bias from firestone and get them mounted up.

The transmission in my Ford is no longer operable as of last night. I'm not sure if it's the clutch or transmission but I'll find out in a couple of weeks (I'm oil field trash and work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and won't be home for a bit). Trans just went inop on acceleration and I was lucky enough to be headed down a big hill. Good news is that my garage is all cleaned up and ready for the truck. I'll give an update when I get the engine and trans pulled.

Chris
Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #24
COE Dan

Chris,

Best of luck when you pull that trans. Take note that Joblot in Long Island, NY has quite a selection of NOS parts for the 4-speed trans. Mac's has a bit too to include some bearings. Chances are you didn't ruin any gears and I believe the bearings should be available...the same parts were used for 30-40 years.

Also, if you have a clutch issue, the 4-spd uses the 11-inch clutch and pressure plate combo (not the smaller 9- or 10-inch for the 3-spds).

Lastly, if you plan to do the work yourself and need some info, there is a short (78 pages) "Repair Manual, Transmissions, Clutches, Overdrives and Power Take-offs" for Fords from 1932-1947. It's a pretty good synopsis on what you need to do and shows diagrams on how everything fits together (order is important). They occasionally pop up on ebay but Macs sells reprints for about what a well-thumbed original goes for. Might be worth the $8.

Hope all goes well...

Dan
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
alanwoodieman

sorry you lost clutch/trans last night. If you need some gears I have a 4sp out back and will strip out and send anything you might need for postage.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
cwh

Thanks for the advice and offer. I'll take it one day at a time and see how things progress. I just bought that transmission book. It'll be a nice reference during the rebuild.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #27
Fordestes

It's good to see more people preserving more of the old trucks, they also are an important part of American automotive history.
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #28
FordCoupeGuy

Hi Chris, nice 41 coe. I just bought a 41 coe myself. Body only for a custom hauler project. Im looking for an emblem for the side of the cowl vent. Also a hood and grill.
Good luck with your truck, it's a keeper !!
Randy
FordCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
Lawson Cox

Very impressive old truck. I wouldn't mind haveing that one myself. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
johnny

I have a wheel wrench with handle for that truck should you need or want one John.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #31
cwh

Been working a little on the old COE. I shoehorned it into my little garage on 1/4 plywood rolling on the front drums. Length wasn't an issue but I only had a quarter inch on the roof.

Started disassembly on the truck this past week or two and finally pulled the engine today.

I seperated the trans from the engine and found the source(s) of my problems and noise. First thing I found was the damper springs from the clutch disk were on vacation and laying around in the bottom of the bellhousing. The clutch disk itself was in great shape. It must have been replaced at some point as it has a remanufactured tag on the clutch plate.

The throwout bearing has a little excessive play as well. Inside the trans I found some chewed up gears and excessive bearing play. Kind of goes right along with the metal I found in the drain plug.

Well thats it for a week or so. Sorry about the cell phone pics. I'm headed to work in the morning for a couple of weeks and didn't feel like digging out the wifes camera. Input and advice is always welcome.

Chris

Last edited by cwh; 10-13-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
alanwoodieman

if you found metal shavings in the trans, you will need, at least, to replace the bearings in the trans. Looks like a new clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing and possibly a clutch disc, make sure this one is not warped. Gears in these old trans are tough and since they are non-synchro get chewed on a bit and will continue to be of service unless the gears have teeth gone and are not chewed up too bad
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #33
cwh

That gearbox picture doesn't reflect the damage well. The (2nd maybe) gear is ground down across the face about a third of the way. The trans needs bearings for sure and seals. Most of the 9/16 head bolts that I removed were not much more than finger tight. That being said I believe that's where I was losing much of the gear lube.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #34
alanwoodieman

before I forget Is the young man in the picture one of your helpers? If so put a wrench in his hand and let him get greasy as my two boys did.. I will look into my trans and send you some pictures of the gears, 1/3 of the way across bad, it definitly needs replaceing!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #35
cwh

Quote:
before I forget Is the young man in the picture one of your helpers? If so put a wrench in his hand and let him get greasy as my two boys did.. I will look into my trans and send you some pictures of the gears, 1/3 of the way across bad, it definitly needs replaceing!
Yep. That's my main helper. The middle boy loves projects and is always ready to dive in. He swapped the motor out in his dirt bike a couple of years ago. Did all the work himself except for breaking the stubborn bolts loose. I have three to train up. The oldest does well in the garage as well and the youngest hasn't shown a ton of interest... yet.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
cwh

Got my wheels powdercoated and some new bias ply's mounted up. Working on painting up the rear drums prior to bolting the wheels back up. Should have it all done by the weekend.

The motor is all resealed and painted up ready to go back in. Still haven't gone through the transmission yet.

On another note. Anybody know where to obtain another of these little bottom cushion centering posts?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #37
alanwoodieman

chris is that the piece that is tacked welded to the seat frame? I am going to look but I think I have one that is similar and will e-mail you a picture. Good progress, tires will make a big difference, engine looks good, trans will be a piece of cake! Alan
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #38
cwh

Yep, That's the piece. It's been fun. Trans is next. Still pushing to have in on the road by the end of February.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #39
alanwoodieman

OK Chris, How about an update? Still making progress I hope. Post a picture when you can of the finished project. Alan
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #40
cwh

The engine and trans are going back in this evening. Here's a pic of both on the stand...

I'll post some pics when it's back in and together. Goal is stll the last week of Feb for a running driving truck.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #41
26 lakes

I hate to butt in on a thread, but I need the wisdom of the COE scholars out there. I went out to a mans property today to look at two old COE trucks. He is in the process of removing a handful of vehicles off of his property. He was {is} planning on taking them to the crusher. I am going to negotiate with him and try and salvage what I can. My question is what parts other than sheet metal and motor and transmission have value to the guys trying to rescue these old relics. I am posting some pictures. One is the 1941 up era. The other is a 1956.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 583.jpg (107.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 584.jpg (70.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 585.jpg (77.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 586.jpg (75.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 588.jpg (80.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 589.jpg (63.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 590.jpg (83.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 591.jpg (74.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 592.jpg (50.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 593.jpg (81.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 594.jpg (66.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg silver dollar city 595.jpg (90.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by 26 lakes; 01-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #42
alanwoodieman

two speed rear end, front axle, springs, steering gear and linkage, rimas if they are good
Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #43
alanwoodieman

forgot to mention, I would like the 4 spoke steering whell
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #44
47COE

Get the glove box door. One recently came up on eBay and there were quite a few bidders. So all the people that didn't win that auction would be interested in another one.

Also, get the gas tank. They are unique to the COE and reproductions aren't available.

Tom
Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
COE Dan

cwh...good progress on your '41 refurb...tell us how it goes...

Also, on the derelict COE, how does the 2-speed rear axle shifter work. Normally I've seen a large vacuum diaphragm and vacuum lines run from a knob actuating a cable to the vacuum valve. This truck appears to have a third lever in the cab (hand brake, transmission, and rear axle???) Is there a mechanical linkage to the rear axle? It appears that way from the rear axle photos.

Can you confirm? I'd be interested in the mechanical linkage and lever if it's complete. My truck is locked in high because the vacuum assembly leaks and I think a mechanical shift would be more reliable (but might be harder time the shift).

COE Dan
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
47COE

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
This truck appears to have a third lever in the cab (hand brake, transmission, and rear axle???) Is there a mechanical linkage to the rear axle? It appears that way from the rear axle photos.

COE Dan
The extra shift lever might be to a second transmission behind the 4 speed. That's what I have: 4 speed, followed by a 3 speed. Each with its own shift lever.

He can easily check this by looking to see if there is a second transmission.

If there are two transmissions, then that truck has a lot of options with 4, 3, and two speed rear end for a total of 24 speeds forward and 6 reverse.

Edit: looking at the first photo, there doesn't appear to be a second transmission. If present it would probably be visible in that photo.

Tom
Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
26 lakes

I will continue to keep pictures in front of you guys. I should be back out to take more pictures this week. Thanks for the knowledge.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #48
cwh

26 Lakes,

Looks like a good find. If you end up with that early Ford I'd love to have that heater in the drivers footwell. It's COLD up here.

Chris
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM   #49
cwh

The old flattie is back in and begging to make noise. Slowly but surely putting everything back together. Not sure about the new motor mounts. I can't get the cotter pins back in with all the washers in place. I spent WAY too much time getting them figured out tonight. Probably should have walked away and looked at them tomorrow. Anyway, here's my progress so far.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #50
alanwoodieman

a lot of us have had the same problem with the new mounts, pull out an old one and I will bet it is not as tall or thick as the new ones. I sanded down mine a bit to get the cotter pin in or just use a locking nut.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #51
cwh

Got my oldest boy working with me in the garage last night. He's the third generation with the initials cwh that's worked these tools. It was awesome. He did great and showed a lot of interest for working on the truck.

cwh

On another note. That's a snowblower in the background. It moves mass amounts of snow out of the driveway. If you've never seen one up close your not missing anything. If you take a drive from a warmer climate and you come across one you've gone WAY too far.

Last edited by cwh; 01-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #52
alanwoodieman

Looking good, cwh the 3 rd is busy learning about old trucks and spending time with Dad, could not be better. my sister-in-law just moved to Canada, Ft MacMurry, she moved there from the middle east, husband works for shell oil. Going from hot to cold must be an experience!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #53
alanwoodieman

OK CWH time for an update. On the road yet? Has CWH3 learned to double clutch. Rode around in my 41 small truck today with the 38 cabover right behind me. I think I could be carrying naked ladies in the stakebed and the curious people would rather look at his cabover!! They sure gather the gawkers and the talkers.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #54
Mike in AZ

great thread....thanks for sharing....Mike

Last edited by Mike in AZ; 03-17-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: change word
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
cwh

Sorry. I've been out of town and working a bunch lately. No, it's not on the road but it's getting close. I've been working on the wiring lately. This time I had my 9 year old son Brayden out in the garage with me. He was helping me with the massive job of wiring the truck. The COE didn't have any wiring or electrical devices when I bought it so I had to start from scratch. Thanks to some generous "Barn" members, I received by email some very nice simplified wiring diagrams to get started. I'm an electronics/electrical technician by trade but this project was surprisingly intimidating. I wanted to get it right the first time so I've taken my time in planning every circuit out. The new fuse/distribution block has been installed under the passenger seat and all new circuits have been terminated. All the new wiring was run in the original style cloth loom. The truck turns over now, the horn and lighting all work. I need to wire up the new fuel pump. I ordered a new distributor this week and will finish that up when I get home in a week or so. After that I'll be able to drive it to the muffler shop and have a new exhaust system built. Any suggestions on the exhaust. I'm leaning towards deleting the mufflers and running 2" exhaust that dumps out on both sides behind the steps.

I'll post a few pics later this week.

Chris

Last edited by cwh; 03-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #56
Graeme / New Zealand

Neat truck. We don't see a lot of these in New Zealand now but I'm sure they plied the roads here many moons ago. When I was a kid in the 60's our local fire station had a Heavy duty 41 same grill but a conventional nose. They had a jailbar as well. Loved the sound of those big beasts. I was sad to see them replaced by an English Dennis and a Commer.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #57
cwh

A few progress pics.

Last edited by cwh; 03-20-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #58
alanwoodieman

CWH-very neat looking circuit board. Looks like you will br ready for the road soon. Alan
Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
cwh

She's alive. Fired right up without turning a full rotation. She purred like a kitten. More pics and status to follow.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #60
47COE

Congratulations!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #61
cwh

I finished the COE today. I finally got the correct alternator bracket and finished all the little things with the truck. The gauges are all hooked up with new senders but none of them work. I'll have to install secondary gauges for the necesities and have the cluster restored over the winter. The electrical system is totally complete and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I have a few self inflicted electrical issues that I had to sort out but now I know the harness that much better. It doesn't have exhaust at the moment. When I get home from work in a couple weeks I'll take it to down and have a set of duals installed. Here are a few pics with my little helper and the truck on it's first drive.
Enjoy,

Chris

Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #62
cwh

So I got some duals installed on the old cabover. I've been driving it quite a bit lately. I had the fan bushings sieze and smoke the belt so I installed an electric fan. None of the factory gauges work so I installed an aftermarket oil and temp gauge. I have a ton of squeaks and rattles but the fun factor is still there. Here's another pic of the truck and a video of the new exhaust note.

Enjoy,

Chris

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #63
alanwoodieman

Way to go Chris!! Part of the fun is the rattles, squeeks and the flathead exhaust note. My buddy is in the process of painting his 38 cabover-hopes to done in about a month. I have been driving the 41 almost everyday, going to start on my CA crawler pretty soon. Keep those boys interested, got to have another younger version of truck nuts.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #64
CajunCrawfish

Outstanding truck. Awsome driver. Fantastic sound.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
V8COOPMAN

I am jealous. Beautiful truck! You can keep the snow. Where exactly are you? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #66
cwh

Thanks for the nice words. It's been a fun and frustrating project. A work in progress. Already thinking of what I'll do this winter to it.

I have 3 sons and my goal is and has always been to subtly brainwash them into all things automobile. They have a fantastic hot wheels collection that is all american classics. There must me 400-500 cars in thier collection.

Coopman, I'm in Anchorage Alaska. Keep the snow? We have plenty. Couldn't you take just a couple of feet?

CWH
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #67
alanwoodieman

I was at a big local cruise-in this past Friday night and there was a 41 COE that had been a firetruck, it had dual cab conversion and had modern drive train but the outside was stock, hopefully I will get some pictures soon.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #68
COE Dan

Chris,

Good to see yours is on the road! Just got word from the guys storing my COE that it won't start now (they were running and moving it once a month while it's in long term storage). But I can't troubleshoot from 4300 miles away...bummer, it will have to wait.

In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through your progress.

COE Dan
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
cwh

A little progress. Pulled the doors, fenders, running boards and lower cab corners. Lots of sheet metal work this winter.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #70
alanwoodieman

ran across your old blog on the /COE--can't believe it has been almost 3 years--are you making any progress?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #71
JSeery
Member Emeritus

OFF TOPIC: Perfect example of photos posted from an off-site source. See this a lot, something happens to the link and they are gone.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #72
cwh

Quote:
ran across your old blog on the /COE--can't believe it has been almost 3 years--are you making any progress?
Alan,

I'm making progress but real slow. I try to do something to it every time I'm home (I still work a 2 week on 2 week off schedule) but that doesn't always happen. I did get some welding done this week on the doors. I found a bunch of cancer in the windshield frames so there's a bunch more work. Also, my oldest son is getting ready to drive and I'm building him a little hot rod pickup. Lots to do. How's your red pickup. I find myself drooling over those pics you sent me.

Take care,

Chris

Last edited by cwh; 02-09-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Penmanship
Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #73
alanwoodieman

good to see you are making slow progress, since we last blogged, I have been busy-bought a 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, sold it and bought another 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, the first was too nice for me-guy who bought it put a flathead V8 in it, the one I have still has the 4 cyl-good for about 40 mph on flat land, 25 up a good hill. Still drive the 41 3/4 ton and am working on my x-army fire truck-converting to a stake bed and as you said a lot of things get in the way. Good Luck my Grandson wants a 67 chevelle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080002.jpg (95.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P9260008.jpg (111.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #74
cwh

Quote:
good to see you are making slow progress, since we last blogged, I have been busy-bought a 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, sold it and bought another 1/2 41 with a 4 cyl tractor engine, the first was too nice for me-guy who bought it put a flathead V8 in it, the one I have still has the 4 cyl-good for about 40 mph on flat land, 25 up a good hill. Still drive the 41 3/4 ton and am working on my x-army fire truck-converting to a stake bed and as you said a lot of things get in the way. Good Luck my Grandson wants a 67 chevelle
I love the patina on that second pu. '64 is my favorite year for chevelle. Love those smaller cars.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #75
mercman from oz

Why were all the pictures of the 1941 Ford COE deleted, as I missed seeing them?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #76
mercman from oz

Here are some pictures of a restored 1942 Ford COE that is in the Penrith Fire Museum in Sydney, Australia.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #77
mercman from oz

Ford Australia offered Ford COE Trucks from 1938 through 1943. They were very popular with the Army as World War II was in progress, and as you can see from the official Sales Figures, sales really hit a high mark in 1942.

1938 - 7 Model 81W
1939 - 3 Model 91W
1940 - 12 Model O1W-81
1941 - 13 Model 11W-81
1942 - 209 Model 21W-81
1943 - 7 Model 21W-81

I hope that you Ford COE Fans find these sales figures interesting.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #78
alanwoodieman

meant to ask you about the hot rod pick up-- Ford I hope but as long as the young man likes old trucks I am cool with it. yeah I have had several chevelles--66 is my year-wish I had the big block convertible back
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #79
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Why were all the pictures of the 1941 Ford COE deleted, as I missed seeing them?
Not sure what happened to the links. I'll try and fix that.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #80
mhsprecher

You clearly need a bigger garage....
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #81
cwh

My old COE is back on the front burner. Plan is to have it painted this winter and back on the road in the spring. Charged the battery up this summer and took it for a little drive without doors and fenders. I've got the cab removed and I'll have it sandblasted soon.

Last edited by cwh; 09-03-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Picture links
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #82
jrvariel48

That is one awesome looking truck!!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #83
5851a

Truck and the shop!
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #84
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Truck and the shop!
Yeah, that'd be my dads 50x50 hangar. His cub is on floats on the lake through the summer. He's pretty generous with his shop space.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #85
alanwoodieman

just say your post--looks like you are finally getting some work done on it. I have been slow getting my 1 1/2 ton finished, but making progress, will get some pictures this week. drive the 3/4 ton all the time. I also bought a half finished 48 F1, apparently I cannot pass one up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5280008.jpg (120.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P5280006.jpg (105.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #86
cwh

Quote:
just say your post--looks like you are finally getting some work done on it. I have been slow getting my 1 1/2 ton finished, but making progress, will get some pictures this week. drive the 3/4 ton all the time. I also bought a half finished 48 F1, apparently I cannot pass one up.
Right on. I'm digging that Ford flatbed.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #87
41panelmark

Quote:
I recently bought a 41 Ford cabover. It's a real solid truck and it runs like a top. I've never owned a vehicle this old and with the flathead engine and 6 volt electrical system(actually runs on 12v at this time). I have a few questions regarding both the powertrain and the electrical system.

First off, the truck has just 10600 miles on it but when the previous owner got it the engine was locked up. He got it loosened up with diesel and it runs great now. It doesn't smoke at startup but after 5 or 10 minutes the exaust gets hot and the oil in the exhaust system starts burning. The truck hasn't been run very much at all for the past years. I'm wondering if this is residual or do I need to replace the rings? I would have thought that if the rings were the culprit it would smoke immediatly. Any thoughts, suggestions?

The truck has really old bias/ply tires. It does vibrate a little up to say 15 but then after that it really developes a shimmy. The U joints seem tight as does the carrier bearing. Is the rear bearing in the 4 speed transmission a problem on these trucks?

Finally the electrical system had a meltdown two owners ago. It currently has a 12 volt battery wired through an ignition switch and solenoid to the starter and coil. All the original wiring is gone. Should I go to a 12 volt system or back to original? Who would be the best source for a wiring harness for the truck? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks for your ear and hope to have a reliable runner soon.

Chris

Very nice, let's see more photos!!
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #88
41panelmark

Quote:
Allen, that bed project is coming along nicely.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #89
cwh

Few update pics. Got the cab sandblasted. Now I'm welding in new sheet metal for some rust the sandblasting revealed. Some pitting where the fender welting held in the moisture.

Last edited by cwh; 12-26-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #90
KDL

I like it! Keep the pictures coming.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #91
alanwoodieman

cwh--wow you are sure making progress with the cabover! Need to get my butt in gear and have my truck back on the road in the spring. a few pictures of the 38 cabover my buddy had and sold--I think it is Tx now. will get some updated pictures of my 1 1/2 ton soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anderson_car_club_farm 040.jpg (121.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P3080001.jpg (110.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg P9300012.jpg (100.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #92
cwh

It's coming along. I finally brought the cab home from my dad's hangar. It's a whole lot easier to get motivated when I don't have to drive an hour and a half. Plus I can weld without worrying about my dad's painted floor.

Pretty much everywhere that there was metal to metal I found corrosion. This repair is where the bolt-on cab corner to fender connection is made.

The running boards are in great shape. It's the mounting channel that was full of dirt and moisture. Still haven't figured out what do do there.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #93
alanwoodieman

should not be too hard to remove the old and make two new ones. I will check my iron pile to see if I might have some off another board
Old 12-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #94
mhsprecher

Is that a one plane garage, er, hangar, to two? ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #95
alanwoodieman

panelmark, wish mine was a dump, like yours!!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #96
cwh

We're those rails a common way to mount running boards? I've looked a bit online but haven't seen anything similar.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #97
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Is that a one plane garage, er, hangar, to two? ;-)
Just one Supercub. But my dad has an addiction to model aircraft. He's got a bunch of large scale RC supercubs. The largest had a 12 foot wing span.

Last edited by cwh; 12-26-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #98
Pat's 52

How do I open your photos?

Thank you!
Pat's 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #99
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's 52 View Post
How do I open your photos?

Thank you!
Is it some or all of the pictures your unable to see?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #100
Brad Hole

It's all looking great so far!

Quote:
The running boards are in great shape. It's the mounting channel that was full of dirt and moisture. Still haven't figured out what do do there.
As far as the channel goes, I'll have to look to see if I have any sheet metal laying around, but I still have the die we made to remake the channels on my '47 1.5ton truck. I would imagine the channel is the same size. I'm not sure where you're at, but it may be possible to make and ship some to you.

Keep up the great work!
Brad Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #101
alanwoodieman

Brad, they are the same running board mounts used on the 41 as your 47. cwh is in AK
Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 PM   #102
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hole View Post
It's all looking great so far!

As far as the channel goes, I'll have to look to see if I have any sheet metal laying around, but I still have the die we made to remake the channels on my '47 1.5ton truck. I would imagine the channel is the same size. I'm not sure where you're at, but it may be possible to make and ship some to you.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the offer. I found some replacement channel yesterday and have it on order. It looks like it should work.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #103
alanwoodieman

I have got my butt in gear, lights/bumper/splash pans back on 1 1/2 ton, about finished with the bed. got crazy and purchased 6 new tires and they are mounted, went for a short ride up the road--got to fix the seat next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130006.jpg (127.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1130002.jpg (135.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1130001.jpg (115.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1140007.jpg (125.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #104
cwh

Quote:
I have got my butt in gear, lights/bumper/splash pans back on 1 1/2 ton, about finished with the bed. got crazy and purchased 6 new tires and they are mounted, went for a short ride up the road--got to fix the seat next.
I love it. Don't change a thing. You can't duplicate patina like that. Perfection.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #105
alanwoodieman

yea!, got to love the patina, started life as an army firetruck-after that it went to Dept of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs then was a ranch service truck, truck has 5000 miles, never been fast enough to melt wheel bearing grease, script still on rear brake linings, hope to have it on the road in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010009.jpg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #106
mfirth

Wow Super Cub on floats...awesome, and the C O E is too.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #107
cwh

Quote:
yea!, got to love the patina, started life as an army firetruck-after that it went to Dept of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs then was a ranch service truck, truck has 5000 miles, never been fast enough to melt wheel bearing grease, script still on rear brake linings, hope to have it on the road in the spring.
Right on. Love the history on it. Should be fun getting it ready to roll.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #108
41panelmark

Quote:
Allen that thing looks good with the side board on, great job!!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #109
rustynut4247

Chris
Hi, I am about to finish my 1947 COE. As far as the wiring goes it is made by Bauer MFG. in Oregon. The bearings are standardized. If you can get the number off the bearing and manufacturer, there is a place you can try called Detroit Ball Bearing.
I have used him for years and they have always had what I needed. I also think they do oil seals too.
I use to make sheet metal parts for the COE's before I retired.
Any questions give me a call at 248-853-4027. I am in Michigan
Thanks Todd
rustynut4247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #110
cwh

Smile Re: '41 Ford COE questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut4247 View Post
Chris
Hi, I am about to finish my 1947 COE. As far as the wiring goes it is made by Bauer MFG. in Oregon. The bearings are standardized. If you can get the number off the bearing and manufacturer, there is a place you can try called Detroit Ball Bearing.
I have used him for years and they have always had what I needed. I also think they do oil seals too.
I use to make sheet metal parts for the COE's before I retired.
Any questions give me a call at 248-853-4027. I am in Michigan
Thanks Todd
Rustynut,
You give all that advice, offer up your help and don't even post up a picture of that amazing '47. I can only zoom in on your avatar so far.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #111
COE Dan

Chris - great progress there on your COE. My truck certainly could use a bit of body work and a repaint - but I'm enjoying as-is for now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it and ultimately it's completion. I've been off Ford Barn for a bit after moving and deploying again, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Last year, just before I put it in temp storage for my move and deployment, my COE developed what I'm currently believe to be an intermittent fuel starvation issue causing the engine to quit. The major symptom acts like the carb runs out of fuel (presumably because fuel is either not being pumped by the fuel pump or there's a restriction in the system). As of now, the carb is rebuilt, new fuel filter installed, and just this weekend I pulled the fuel pump and bench checked for operation and flow. Everything checks good so far. I'm beginning to suspect that I have either a contaminated tank which intermittently plugs the intake line (haven't confirmed that yet) or possibly a bad ground on the electric fuel pump causing it to intermittently quit due to loss of power (vibration probably aggravates the problem). If I get through the fuel system and the problem persists, I suspect it's then going to be in the ignition system (coil or condenser problem?). Anyways, I've got a few more weeks of winter weekends to work on it as long as it doesn't get too cold.

As for Todd's comment on bearings, I've got a full set of Timken bearings for the front/rear, inner/outer wheels. These truck use standard sizes. I can provide the cross reference numbers if anyone needs those. I read back through this thread and must have missed who was looking for that data.

Looking forward to more
COE Dan
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #112
cwh

Quote:
Chris - great progress there on your COE. My truck certainly could use a bit of body work and a repaint - but I'm enjoying as-is for now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it and ultimately it's completion. I've been off Ford Barn for a bit after moving and deploying again, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Last year, just before I put it in temp storage for my move and deployment, my COE developed what I'm currently believe to be an intermittent fuel starvation issue causing the engine to quit. The major symptom acts like the carb runs out of fuel (presumably because fuel is either not being pumped by the fuel pump or there's a restriction in the system). As of now, the carb is rebuilt, new fuel filter installed, and just this weekend I pulled the fuel pump and bench checked for operation and flow. Everything checks good so far. I'm beginning to suspect that I have either a contaminated tank which intermittently plugs the intake line (haven't confirmed that yet) or possibly a bad ground on the electric fuel pump causing it to intermittently quit due to loss of power (vibration probably aggravates the problem). If I get through the fuel system and the problem persists, I suspect it's then going to be in the ignition system (coil or condenser problem?). Anyways, I've got a few more weeks of winter weekends to work on it as long as it doesn't get too cold.

As for Todd's comment on bearings, I've got a full set of Timken bearings for the front/rear, inner/outer wheels. These truck use standard sizes. I can provide the cross reference numbers if anyone needs those. I read back through this thread and must have missed who was looking for that data.

Looking forward to more
COE Dan
Dan,
Thanks for your service to our country. Glad that Uncle Sam has you in a place that you can play with your vintag toys. Intermittent problems can be frustrating. My friend has a Hudson that was having a similar issue. We found that it has a deteriorated insulator on the distributor which was causing it to quit randomly and finally wouldn't start. Hope you get yours figured out easily enough.

Still waiting on my painter to pull the trigger. I just need to be patient. Currently the cab is on its back in my garage. I'm using bedliner to coat the bottom for corrosion protection. It's pretty solid but I only want to do this rebuild thing once on it.

Keep us posted on your fix on your cabover.

Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #113
KCTA Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 lakes View Post
I hate to butt in on a thread, but I need the wisdom of the COE scholars out there. I went out to a mans property today to look at two old COE trucks. He is in the process of removing a handful of vehicles off of his property. He was {is} planning on taking them to the crusher. I am going to negotiate with him and try and salvage what I can. My question is what parts other than sheet metal and motor and transmission have value to the guys trying to rescue these old relics. I am posting some pictures. One is the 1941 up era. The other is a 1956.
nothing like asking a question on a several year old post but curious if you pulled parts from this truck? Im about 10 miles from you and could use the 2 speed axle and open driveshaft?

Thanks
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #114
Hemiman392

Beautiful truck, as for the rings , you can go to a place that sells boats and has a parts dept. and ask for a can of Power Tune. If the rings are stuck this stuff is great for unsticking them, just pull your plugs and spray it in .It comes out in a foam ,like shaving cream, this helps it to adhere to whatever it is sprayed on. The it melts aroun the piston and through the ring gap opening and around the rings . Let it sit for 30 minuets and spray again. Don’t be shy with the stuff,let it sit overnight if you can . Then in the morning ,crank it up. I had a piston from a 32 farmall tractor in my hand with stuck rings and watched it dissolve the carbon like it was nothing .leaving it overnight really helps. Try it ,I think you will be satisfied. Hemiman392
Hemiman392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #115
cwh

Little update on the old '41. Drug up and moved to Idaho. My truck was all stripped and ready for paint but my painter flaked out on me. Put it back together enough to move and towed it to Nampa Idaho. I've got a reputable painter in the area and I'm hoping to get back on the project and have it on the road again soon.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #116
alanwoodieman

Idaho? I had wondered what you have been doing lately, been a long time since you last posted, and show us some pictures when you get it painted and back together.
Alan
Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #117
cwh

Quote:
Idaho? I had wondered what you have been doing lately, been a long time since you last posted, and show us some pictures when you get it painted and back together.
Alan
Yeah Idaho. Boys grew up and my oldest started college in WA state. Figured we'd better move and get closer.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:10 AM   #118
mercman from oz

Here is a page from the original 1941 Ford Truck Sales Brochure, showing the COE model.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #119
alanwoodieman

lets see--your truck started life in VA moved to NC moved to AK and now to Idaho! it sure gets around.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #120
cwh

Quote:
lets see--your truck started life in VA moved to NC moved to AK and now to Idaho! it sure gets around.
Yeah, I've spent way too much moving it around the country.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #121
alanwoodieman

I know that feeling the guys around here say my 41 is a trailer queen. less than 5000 miles went from Detroit to mid west back to Mass then to SC
Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #122
COE Dan

These trucks tend to get around...

Before I bought my COE, it started out as a coal truck in Massachusetts, then spent time in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. There may have been other places I don't know about.

I was in Texas when I bought it...I then moved to Arkansas, Hawaii (but the truck moved back to Texas while I was in Hawaii), Illinois, and now Kansas. Moving is pretty standard if you're in the service. So the truck has been trailered, shipped, or stored a bunch of times. On the other hand, I've only driven it 800 miles in 15 years!

I don't care to speculate on how much I spent moving it - but it was worth it and more importantly my wife doesn't mind.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #123
cwh

Quote:

I don't care to speculate on how much I spent moving it - but it was worth it and more importantly my wife doesn't mind.
She's a keeper!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #124
Ingo

Hello,

my Name is Ingo, i own a 47 Ford COE.
Do you have an idea where to get a Windshieldframe Rubberseal?
It seems there are no originals and no Aftermarket for this Truck on the market, but maybe you know which Rubberseals may fit? .... fron any other vehicle perhaps?

Thanks for your help

best
Ingo
Old 05-14-2023, 11:18 PM   #125
cwh

Haven’t posted in a while. All my kids are grown up so dad gets to work on his toys. Still trying to find somebody to get my paint and body done but I’ve been tinkering with the running gear. Runs a Dana 60 in front and an Eaton H072 in the rear now. NP205 tcase behind the factory flathead and 4 speed trans.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9BDC429-159A-4050-AE83-5B43DF05D1CB.jpg (56.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpeg D37360E3-D56C-4E3F-9B3E-F44CD01EE2FD.jpeg (129.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpeg 82B03692-A1F9-4376-90D1-721A02E230D0.jpeg (120.9 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by cwh; 05-14-2023 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Picture link
Old 05-14-2023, 11:37 PM   #126
petehoovie

Quote:
Haven’t posted in a while. All my kids are grown up so dad gets to work on his toys. Still trying to find somebody to get my paint and body done but I’ve been tinkering with the running gear. Runs a Dana 60 in front and an Eaton H072 in the rear now. NP205 tcase behind the factory flathead and 4 speed trans.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #127
Model51

What an awesome truck.

Finding a good quality painter seems to be getting harder, at least for me it has. I hope you can find someone to do all the prep work which makes the paint job look good. It's a lot more work than I ever imagined.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:04 PM   #128
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
What an awesome truck.

Finding a good quality painter seems to be getting harder, at least for me it has. I hope you can find someone to do all the prep work which makes the paint job look good. It's a lot more work than I ever imagined.
They’re out there but in short supply so they’re busy. I have a friend that owns a body shop and does amazing work but I have a hard and fast rule, I never do business with friends or family.