Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 26,782
Default Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Thanks to Mark for this handy tip on rust removal. Mark bought a cheap crockpot at a garage sale, then used pure white vinegar at 170* for 3 hours to remove the rust from these parts.

"Here is about three hours of de rusting at 170 degrees. You need to rinse with dawn dish soap under hot water and using a parts cleaner brush and a small wire bush to clean the corners (really no effort) flash rust will develop almost before your eyes. Here are the parts sprayed with WD 40 to prevent the flash rust."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rust Removal Vinegar1.jpg (130.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg Rust Removal Vinegar2.jpg (134.7 KB, 418 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Jim Mason
Senior Member
 
Jim Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 780
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Will the iron acetate be stable or will it convert to iron oxide under the wd40? I?s iron phosphate (phosphoric acid v acetic acid) more stable in an oxygen environment
__________________
www.jmodela.coffeecup.com
Fwiw, jm.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
Senior Member
 
Steve Plucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walla Walla, Washington USA
Posts: 5,034
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

How about after rinsing, just put in a bucket of deisel oil till needed later?

Pluck
__________________
www.plucks329s.org

Walla Walla (WA) Sweet A's since 1993

MARC/MAFCA member since 1978

Ford Model AA Truck Club since 1998

(LIONEL/MTH Toy Train Collector, Orange Crush Soda Collector, Steel Beer Can Collector, Old Gas Pump Collector)
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
TinCup
Senior Member
 
TinCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OKC / Tonkawa, Ok.
Posts: 1,945
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

I like it. Now I wonder which crockpot my wife won't miss.
__________________
Sooner Model A Club of Oklahoma
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ
Senior Member
 
Kurt in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the Littlefield
Posts: 4,238
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

The secret ingrediant for next years Hershey chili ---model A iron


Have the brake shafts been taken apart, what happens inside, does it remove the grease?
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
28ACoupe
Senior Member
 
28ACoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 555
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

If you live in an area which salts the roads or near the ocean, do not use WD-40 for anything. WD-40 and salt air are the best rust making combination ever. I won't allow it in my shop at all anymore.

That having been said, good idea on the rest.
__________________
1928 Model A Business Coupe
Rebuild picture gallery here
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
wrndln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 4,332
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

I just did almost the same thing that Tom did a few days ago, only I used Evaporust instead of vinegar. I am wondering if vinegar would work about the same and much cheaper. However, I was afraid something like an acid, even a mild one like vinegar, would cause problems with the brass cladding or get trapped under the cladding and cause trouble. I am trying to separate the steel backing from the brass cladding to get it replated - it is really crimped on tight and still haven't figured out how to remove the cladding without damaging it. I needed to derust the center bumper emblem that was pretty rusted. The heated Evaporust worked great, much faster and better than when I used it unheated. I used the low setting on the Crockpot and the Evaporust didn't boil, but was quite hot. I let it cook for a day and the small amount of the Evaporust was looking pretty discolored (would have probably still worked OK), but I dumped it (maybe 2 or 3 oz.) and put some fresh Evaporust in the jar for a second day. Unfortunatley I didn't think to take a picture of the setup in the Crockpot. I put about 3/4" of water in the Crockpot, put about 3/4" of Evaporust in a small glass jar, put the emblem in the jar and set the jar in the Crockpot. I used much less Evaporust ($$) this way. I was concerned about the brass is why I did the "douple cooker" method. Normally that wouldn't be necessary. I am posting pictures of before and after the derusting operation. I got a little flash rusting (top part) as I didn't dry the steel immediately after removing it from the Evaporust. Next time I will.
Rusty Nelson



wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE
Senior Member
 
FL&WVMIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Daytona Beach, Fl & Spencer, W. Va,
Posts: 4,324
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I just did almost the same thing that Tom did a few days ago, only I used Evaporust instead of vinegar. I am wondering if vinegar would work about the same and much cheaper. However, I was afraid something like an acid, even a mild one like vinegar, would cause problems with the brass cladding or get trapped under the cladding and cause trouble. I am trying to separate the steel backing from the brass cladding to get it replated - it is really crimped on tight and still haven't figured out how to remove the cladding without damaging it. I needed to derust the center bumper emblem that was pretty rusted. The heated Evaporust worked great, much faster and better than when I used it unheated. I used the low setting on the Crockpot and the Evaporust didn't boil, but was quite hot. I let it cook for a day and the small amount of the Evaporust was looking pretty discolored (would have probably still worked OK), but I dumped it (maybe 2 or 3 oz.) and put some fresh Evaporust in the jar for a second day. Unfortunatley I didn't think to take a picture of the setup in the Crockpot. I put about 3/4" of water in the Crockpot, put about 3/4" of Evaporust in a small glass jar, put the emblem in the jar and set the jar in the Crockpot. I used much less Evaporust ($$) this way. I was concerned about the brass is why I did the "douple cooker" method. Normally that wouldn't be necessary. I am posting pictures of before and after the derusting operation. I got a little flash rusting (top part) as I didn't dry the steel immediately after removing it from the Evaporust. Next time I will.
Rusty Nelson



RUSTY .............
A good rinse in baking soda will nuetralize the acid in the vinegar.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
pooch
Senior Member
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 2,581
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Any rust removal by a wet method just needs to be blown dry immediately.

Only a very fine or no flash rust will appear.

Of course it will rust if let to dry naturally.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,216
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
I like it. Now I wonder which crockpot my wife won't miss.
Tell her the "USE BEFORE" date on the bottom has expired on the ugly one-----or the one that was a gift frum a KRANKY relative----or maybe there's a RECALL on DANGEROUS ones frum CHINA. If those don't wurk, I'll consult the Dog fer a "STORY"
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TALKING DOG.jpg (8.0 KB, 99 views)
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
aojo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 39
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Does anyone else use Gibbs? I have found this product to be excellent in rust prevention. Use on bare metal after bead blasting, sanding, hot tank etc. and no rust appears for months on the bare metal
aojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 26,782
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

I use Gibbs as a penetrating oil, but am almost out of it and haven't found it at the usual swap meets I attended this past summer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Jim Mason
Senior Member
 
Jim Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 780
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

the bicarb will neutralize any acid remaining but the iron acetate may not be stable
__________________
www.jmodela.coffeecup.com
Fwiw, jm.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #14
mleder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 133
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

One more thing about this process that I like is that the spent cleaning vinegar is not dangerous and disposal of doesn't make me feel like I'm endangering anyone.
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac
Senior Member
 
Chuck Sea/Tac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between Seattle & Tacoma
Posts: 1,544
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Tom, what is "pure" white vinegar? Just the normal solution you find everywhere?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #16
hardtimes
Senior Member
 
hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 5,739
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleder View Post
One more thing about this process that I like is that the spent cleaning vinegar is not dangerous and disposal of doesn't make me feel like I'm endangering anyone.
Evaporust can be used over/over again, and can be used to water the tree !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 26,782
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Tom, what is "pure" white vinegar? Just the normal solution you find everywhere?
Yes, I buy it in one gallon jugs at Rainbow Foods for about $1.69. The label states it's 5% acidic.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
john in illinois
Senior Member
 
john in illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,547
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

Aojo and Tom. The alternative to Gibbs oil is 4 Way Penetrating oil. Brookville Roadster uses this on bare metal. I have had it on bare metal for almost a year. If you get a little rust from sweat or something Scotch Brite and a little
4 way shines it up.

The nice thing about it is it contains no silicone so it is easy to clean for painting.

http://catalog.antiseize.com/viewite...---penetrating

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #19
whirnot
Senior Member
 
whirnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 585
Default Re: Rust Removal, Fast easy and Cheap

As it turns out I was in the middle of a little rust removal as well.

I had heard that for larger parts you can just put them in a plastic bucket with Vinegar and Salt. One gallon of vinegar to a cup of salt. I have no idea why the salt, but it worked great.. Without heat it does take longer, but after 9 days my old running board luggage rack came out virtually rust free. Even the clamp bolts that would not move were clean. I just brushed them with a hand wire brush and this is the result. They do start to rust even in dry Colorado air in about 10 minutes if you don't put something them. I paid no attention to what kind of vinegar, just grabbed the cheapest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack1.jpg (286.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Rack2.jpg (255.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Rack3.jpg (284.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Rack4.jpg (285.0 KB, 49 views)
__________________
Bill Worden

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
Northern Colorado Model A's
High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.