Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
Seattledavid

Default Re: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Generator getting hot

Ok everyone thanks for your input. Car originally had two 6 volt Optima batteries hooked in parallel I changed them out for a regular 6 volt battery to see if that made a difference which it didn’t. Still getting hot so that I can’t leave my fingers on it for longer than 5 seconds. Is that too hot?? Or normal??
Seattledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
cadillac512

Everyone's idea of "hot" can vary. Remember, the generator is directly behind a radiator that's blowing heated air on it. Feel some other engine components in the gen's vicinity...are they similar? If so, it's likely just ambient underhood temp and not to worry.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #23
Jack E/NJ

>>>Generator got so hot I couldn’t hardly touch it and then it started smelling and then started smoking.>>>

Yeah, I wouldn't worry if it's not smelling & smoking. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #24
rotorwrench

If it needed two 6-volt batteries then there may have been a problem with the battery cables. A lot of reproduction stuff doesn't have the correct wire gauge. The ground strap from the battery should be a big one and have good clean tight connections. Some folks forget this stuff is supposed to be positive ground and that would be problematic. A good hot lead to the starter solenoid is also a must. Most big 6-volt cables should be 2 gauge minimum anything smaller than that could be too much resistance.

The voltage regulator has a cut out relay, a voltage control vibrator, and a current limiter relay and they all have to be properly adjusted. By the same token, the generator has to be in good condition. I use a growler to test my armatures. If they have a bad spot in there, I'd sure want to know about it. If it gets so hot that is desolders the armature from the commutator then you will be able to see the solder splashed around inside the brush compartment. The brushes have to fit the commutator well or they will bounce around on there and arc all over the place. Even a bad terminal insulator on the generator case can cause a failure since it can have a direct short but only while it's generating. A person should be able to touch the generator for a few seconds without getting burned. If it burns you on contact then something is wrong.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #25
51woodie

David. There is a lot of information in the above posts, and suggestions on things you need to confirm, such as correct polarity of the battery and the generator, cable sizes correct, good grounds etc. Why two batteries? Try one that is fully charged and connected + ground. Polarize the generator as per the attached document and see if that helps. Sometimes it is a combination of simple things, that can cause a big problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gen Regulator Install Instructions.pdf (62.5 KB, 15 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote