Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
jkeesey

Default Re: Museums, Good or Bad?

Hey Al, next time donate them to me! I'll show them everyday.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Bob-A

Keith True,

Wow, that's an interesting tid-bit of info about the Smithsonian! When I die I "was" going to have my '65 Harley donated to the Smithsonian. Along with my and my dogs ashes secreted in the frame. Not now!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Keith True

Back when this happened,around 1974 or 75,the Smithsonian had an extensive collection of motorcycles.They weren't being hoarded,they were being culled to put together a display.A few hundred were going to be sold off when the display was decided on.There already is a collection of Harleys from every year built,all in one spot,I believe it is owned by Harley but it may be a private collection.Either way,it's available to the public.The woman that had donated the Hup and the Auburn was a little upset that her cars were just dumped,but after she thought it through she realized she had not been lied to,because she had never asked the right question.The comments by the museum evaluators were things like,these will make a fine addition to a collection,and the biggest line was,we will never touch this car,we will leave it just like it is.That one was the truth and she remembered it forever.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
JBill

Two things:

First thing: The Smithsonian budget keeps getting slashed dramatically by one of those political parties we hear so much about, and I'll just let you guess which one. The upshot is that they can neither display nor maintain all of what they have and often have to liquidate parts of the collection in order to keep afloat.

The other thing: The real hoarders that the museum-hater should complain about are these guys who have a barn (or more likely a field) full of old cars and parts, none of which they will ever sell, none of which they will ever restore, all of which will eventually rust into dust. But they're mine, they'll say, and so I can do what I want with them, which is evidently to watch them disappear.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Rock Hornbuckle

It just seems to me that as the decades go past, that fewer things of value are held sacred anymore.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Jason in TX

Oddly enough, a car posted on Ford Barn this morning from a museum collection in San Diego.

If you want to see the antique cars they are selling on Craigslist, CLICK HERE
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
jkeesey

At museum prices ta boot.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #28
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Is the fact that the early Fords are an icon of more than one genre a bad thing? Had it been a Deuce museum...
"The only disappointment for me was when I saw the chopped coupe with a chevy engine was allowed to go in with the original A's." Quote by Jim

The fact that this was a Model A event dedicated to ORIGINAL cars, and that we were allowed on the grounds with our cars, I felt the Hot Rod belonged in the regular parking lot.

This is my opinion as stated, and you have the right to disagree, after all it is a FREE country, but am I not allowed the same privilege without being ridiculed?

By the way, this is not a DEUCE museum, and I would have not been there if it was....
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
59mgaguy

If you want others to see and enjoy your car don't give it to the museum. Put it on loan with stipulations that it be cared for while in their possession.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #30
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
"The only disappointment for me was when I saw the chopped coupe with a chevy engine was allowed to go in with the original A's." Quote by Jim

The fact that this was a Model A event dedicated to ORIGINAL cars, and that we were allowed on the grounds with our cars, I felt the Hot Rod belonged in the regular parking lot.

This is my opinion as stated, and you have the right to disagree, after all it is a FREE country, but am I not allowed the same privilege without being ridiculed?

By the way, this is not a DEUCE museum, and I would have not been there if it was....
Damn it kid, put the Tommy Gun down! You're making my point even more as there's nothing more "original" in the vintage car world as a Model A. Arguably the 2nd most iconic car in American history, it has and continues to appeal to a vast majority. For the record I simply asked a question. I didn't mean for you to internalize it so much. Personally I think rod or stock, and any variation in between belongs as long as it's a Model A. Good thing there wasn't a plethora of As with smaller diameter wire wheels on em...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIGHLANDER View Post
Damn it kid, put the Tommy Gun down! You're making my point even more as there's nothing more "original" in the vintage car world as a Model A. Arguably the 2nd most iconic car in American history, it has and continues to appeal to a vast majority. For the record I simply asked a question. I didn't mean for you to internalize it so much. Personally I think rod or stock, and any variation in between belongs as long as it's a Model A. Good thing there wasn't a plethora of As with smaller diameter wire wheels on em...
Mr Highlander.... according to the Touring Class Judging Standards, as issued by The Model A Restorers Club, (ever heard of them?) I would loose 10 points for a car with a smaller diameter wire wheel on it. How much do you loose for a "chopped top?" Please check #1 and #7 of the entry criteria..... it would not be allowed in for judging

I am still in the realm of Model A, Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #32
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you want to donate your car to be kept in a museum forever forget it! If you want to donate your car to help a museum, either by having it displayed or sold for funds to keep the museum running then do so. If you don't want it sold give it to them on loan form you or your estate as mentioned earlier.

I would though be careful of "museums" that seem to sell off the vehicles after only being on "display" for a short while. There is one of those that sells cars all the time on Ebay.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #33
theHIGHLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Mr Highlander.... according to the Touring Class Judging Standards, as issued by The Model A Restorers Club, (ever heard of them?) I would loose 10 points for a car with a smaller diameter wire wheel on it. How much do you loose for a "chopped top?" Please check #1 and #7 of the entry criteria..... it would not be allowed in for judging

I am still in the realm of Model A, Jim
I understand judging, rules, authenticity, et al perhaps more than most. My clients have collectively nearly 130 awards to back that up. I wasn't aware that personal celebration of one of "OUR" favorite cars would be held to those standards. My personal goal would be a "Henry Award" winning 31 pickup parked right next to a fenderless 30/31 coupe with a 3" chop, a full house Nailhead full of carbs, sittin on Deuce rails with hairpin front suspension (or split 'bones). The best part about that? Both would be Model As, both would also "represent" in today's vernacular. If my loving all of em regardless of authenticity is a character flaw it's one I'm shamelessly proud of. Let me be clear here that is not a pissing contest. It's my opinion. It's what I think is an open minded approach vs one stifled in rules and standards. Happily I'm one of MILLIONS who think the same way, but there as this 1 guy who didn't think the A was good enough "as-is" for him. I think his LeBaron Phaeton was on display according to the pics shared in the A museum opening post. Just sayin. 1st cup of coffee on me if we ever meet.

Jocko "theHighlander" McNeal
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
t-head

The Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, Mass. is one of the best around....Check them out.

Patina, Provenance, Originality – Thoughtful Preservation of Collectible Automobiles: The Larz Anderson Auto Museum of Brookline, Massachusetts, renowned for housing America’s oldest car collection opened their new exhibit: Patina, Provenance, Originality: Thoughtful Preservation of Collectible Automobiles, on May 10th. Preservation of important automobiles, as both historic artifacts and industrial art, provides an important window into the technological ingenuity and design acumen of the early pioneers in auto manufacturing, motor racing, and the changes the automobile brought to America in the 20th Century. David Northey, Walter Owen Bentleys grandson, is seen here giving a speech to the attendees on the subject of originality.

The Larz Anderson Collection containing some of the rarest and most original early cars in the world, will be on display in addition to the vintage racing cars, and the other 1906-1955 automobiles choosen for the exhibit, to illustrate the principles that guide collectors of important automobiles. See many more photos and more info at The Old Motor.

t-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
hefty lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post

The other thing: The real hoarders that the museum-hater should complain about are these guys who have a barn (or more likely a field) full of old cars and parts, none of which they will ever sell, none of which they will ever restore, all of which will eventually rust into dust. But they're mine, they'll say, and so I can do what I want with them, which is evidently to watch them disappear.
Nine times out of ten this guy is not paying his taxes or has some other issue that when the right people get whiff of......
hefty lefty is offline   Reply With Quote