Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
beerayb

Default N.O.S. Engine

Does anyone have one? Or have you seen one, where? Curious minds want to know.
beerayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Rand

Default Re: N.O.S. Engine

Saw one years ago at big daddy's Don Garlets (sp) museum.
Just the engine block in the original create. I thought it was pretty cool! Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
alanwoodieman

one is on display at the Henry Ford Museum, incidentally it is actually the first V8 off the assembly line. Also saw another one, 59AB, in the basement of a local Ford dealership-they would not sell it, when dealer closed/retired engine dissappeared
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
rheltzel

I purchased an NOS 29A (1942) block last year; it arrived in its original crate. Pretty cool to see a totally rust/scale/crack free block. I'm having it rebuilt as a touring motor for my '35.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Cool Kat with Hot Car

This was a nos engine until I used it for my roadster about 3 years ago. It was a complete long block minus heads and intake. 1951 Ford. I added the ignition, pan, h2o pumps, heads, and blower. Runs great. Very fast, smooth, and a joy to drive. If you have access to a nos engine I recommend you using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0098 copy.jpg (87.8 KB, 110 views)
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
49r

I purchased a NOS 24 stud 81A 3 3/16 motor in 1989. Did 20,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream and fortunately avoided the temptation to sell it 4 years ago when I put it in storage. Need to find another mount for it ...
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
Kube

I bought a couple of Carpenter's years ago. He had quite a few. Joblot also had a pile of them years ago.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I bought a couple of Carpenter's years ago. He had quite a few. Joblot also had a pile of them years ago.
Kube: Smart decision. I remember the Carpenter add when it ran in Hemmings about 10-15 years ago. I think they were selling for $2,200.

Seemed like a lot of money then. Now, quite a bargain for a known good engine ready to go.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Kube: Smart decision. I remember the Carpenter add when it ran in Hemmings about 10-15 years ago. I think they were selling for $2,200.

Seemed like a lot of money then. Now, quite a bargain for a known good engine ready to go.
Those were the ones. Good memory!
If I had been smart, I would have purchased more of them
Old 10-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
cmbrucew

In the late 70's I was looking at a 1950 F1 at a wrecking Yard in Hesperia that came with a new flathead V8 engine. Every time I went back the price went up a couple hundred. I quit looking after 3 or 4 attempts to buy yielded the same response.
Bruce
Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

I have a NOS Model B engine with a counterweighted crank. It was assembled from all NOS parts by Ford Parts Obsolete of Long Beach (maybe Los Angeles at that time). If I remember correctly they found enough parts for a couple of hundred engines. The parts came from Russia. They were located in a warehouse in Poland. My guess is the basic block was cast in the early thirties using molds supplied by Ford.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I have a NOS Model B engine with a counterweighted crank. It was assembled from all NOS parts by Ford Parts Obsolete of Long Beach (maybe Los Angeles at that time). If I remember correctly they found enough parts for a couple of hundred engines. The parts came from Russia. They were located in a warehouse in Poland. My guess is the basic block was cast in the early thirties using molds supplied by Ford.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie: If I may I have knowledge of an 29A engine NOS. early 1940's..may have raised intake area??. was built and shipped out overseas ( war effort ) and returned and found it's way to Ford Obsolete, Long Beach.... My brother Charlie worked there for twenty plus. and he has the engine in question....It WAS NOT STORED WELL..with heads off.... has rust pits in three bores on one side... it so sad to see a complete fresh built NOS engine in this condition all there and would run with a little clean up,.. if it were me, hone and clean up and it would run... so if it smoked a little... it's been years that I saw it and it may be sleeved ?? .........OLD.......BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
bobH

There is someone here on the barn that has one advertised in the swap area. It's a 59, with 59 cast on the bellhousing, in my opinion a 'replacement' engine, 3-1/16 bore. No heads or pan. From what he's told me on the phone, it's not been stored very well, and my assumption is that it would need to be looked over very closely if you were going to try & run it. Located in Phoenix or Tucson, I think??? He tried to price it based on the cost of a new high-end sbc or sbf (X2), in my opinion way high, considering I believe it would all have to come apart and be redone.

Here is the lookup info...
Title = NOS Ford Flathead Engine
Post Date = 03-05-2014
Post by = theBoB
Location = Mesa, Az
Price = $4000
Phone = 408-924-4611
Not marked sold.

Last edited by bobH; 10-27-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: lookup info
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
blucar

In the late 1960's I had a friend, Joe, that was a certified FORD Fanatic. He had a large plumbing company, all of the service trucks were Fords ranging in age from '51 to '69. His everyday driver was a '57 Ford 2dr wagon, he also had a '56 Ford f100 that he drove from time to time.
One day the local Ford dealer called Joe, by a quirk of fate a brand new, 8CM (Merc) long block engine appeared in the Ford parts system, they grabbed it, called Joe first to see if he was interested. Joe snapped the engine up..
Within a few short months his '52 1 ton service truck blew an engine, the new 8CM was installed in the truck. The '52 was set up to be a rolling shop, with pipe racks, threading/cutting machines and multiple bins for pipe fittings.. All of which were for the old style galv pipe.. Copper pipe was quickly becoming the norm and ABS plastic was replacing cast iron for waste lines so the truck became "yard art", gathering dust, etc., in the far corner of the company's truck yard.
In about 1974 the ski boat I had blew up the engine. The boat was a classic "speed boat" similar to a Cris Craft, the engine was a Merc 8CM that has modified extensively, cam, 4 barrel, Malory ignition, etc.. I decided to repower the boat with a SBC, had one built and purchased all of the marine equipment and adapters.
Talking to my friend Joe one day I told him I was going to repower my boat with a SBC, Joe went nuts, not at all happy that I was going to discard the 8CM engine in favor of an 8CM. Joe offered me the plumbing service truck, we agreed that I would pay him $200. for the truck, I could use the engine in my boat and junk the truck. The deal was made.
I installed the engine from the truck in my boat using the 4 barrel carb, Malory ignition and original marine equipment. The boat ran great, we used it until the summer of '77 when we bought a new boat. I sold the "speed boat to a neighbor for $500, he had it repainted, changed the name on the transom and used it for many years.
I can't remember just when Joe asked me what I had done with the '52 Ford service truck, I told him it was still sitting in the corner of my yard, Joe asked if it still had the pipe machines bolted to the bed I told him it did. Joe offered to buy the truck back to get the pipe machines, I told him he could have the truck for $200., he was a happy camper. It was not until a couple of years later I told Joe that I had sold the truck back to him for what I paid for it.. Joe thought that I had played a good joke on him.. He was a good guy...

I have a decal sticker on the rear Qtr window in my '36 coupe that is from Ford Parts Obsolete, the address is 616 E Florence, Los Angeles. The sticker is from about 1969, maybe earlier..

In the late '80's I was talking to a local car guy, he asked me if I knew anyone that had a good 8BA style of engine, I asked why? He needed an engine for a roadster project he had, He wanted to put an Ardun/8BA engine in the roadster, had all of the Ardun parts, but could not find a good block. I told him I had an 8CM that had came out of my boat.. I went on to tell him that a valve seat had came out which bent a valve and beat up the piston in one cylinder. I sold the 8CM.. It has lived in the roadster every since.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Wick

So.... if I know where a County Fair Train ride is with a (was new) Flathead v8 that ran for 3 days before the clutch went out (been in dry storage ever sense that day) I should try and look at the motor?
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
jailhousebob

In the early seventies Joblot had a pile of them in crates.I don't remember the price but they were cheap!
Seemed like nobody was really interested.Wish I could find one now. I have seen NOS blocks on eBay more recently,mostly military surplus.Bob
jailhousebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
beerayb

I have gathered every single part to assemble a one of a kind replacement V-8 60. I have everything NOS from the large logo Stromberg 81 to the one of a kind prototype Ford aluminum oil pan. I also have the highly desirable yellow striped rods, aluminum timing gear, aluminum oil pump gear, 10 tooth high volume oil pump gears, .and aluminum heads. The block is a replacement block, it is sleeved and has hardened valve seats on both intake and exhaust. My main concern is should this rare of an engine be assembled, or made into a display for future generations to enjoy. It will only be a virgin once. But it is not really an engine until it has been assembled, it's just a pile of parts. What do you guys think I should do with it?
beerayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerayb View Post
I have gathered every single part to assemble a one of a kind replacement V-8 60. I have everything NOS from the large logo Stromberg 81 to the one of a kind prototype Ford aluminum oil pan. I also have the highly desirable yellow striped rods, aluminum timing gear, aluminum oil pump gear, 10 tooth high volume oil pump gears, .and aluminum heads. The block is a replacement block, it is sleeved and has hardened valve seats on both intake and exhaust. My main concern is should this rare of an engine be assembled, or made into a display for future generations to enjoy. It will only be a virgin once. But it is not really an engine until it has been assembled, it's just a pile of parts. What do you guys think I should do with it?
Think you answered your question, "it is not really an engine until it has been assembled, it's just a pile of parts"
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
Jack E/NJ

Joblot engine sale!!! 8^)

All sold out!!! 8^(

Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joblotbw.jpg (91.0 KB, 63 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
mercman from oz

This is what a NOS Flathead Motor looks like. These were surplus after World War II. My brother bought this one back in the early Seventies.
As you can see, all parts are there, with just a few items to reattach.
This one is still in the original Crate.
Just goes to prove that late model engines are not the only "Crate Motors"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0666.jpg (79.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (79.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4388.jpg (64.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0647.jpg (71.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4383.jpg (74.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4390.jpg (65.4 KB, 61 views)
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote