Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Cam shaft nut washer

Just changing a cam gear and I find a washer under the nut . It is slightly concave so would act as a lockwasher I suppose . I have never come across this before . I checked my English parts book and sure enough it is listed as A-6260-R for 8 pennies but for 1930 only why is that I ask myself . Just wondered if most mechanics just left them out as not needed or maybe you did not have them in USA . If it was for England only I think it would have an AE or AF part number .

John in I hope you all have a wonderful THANKS GIVING !!! Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Cam shaft nut washer

Interesting, I looked in a December 20, 1932 parts book and it
just shows it for 1930-31.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
alexiskai

These are mentioned in a service bulletin for diagnosing and repairing a timing gear that's loose due to the camshaft nut bottoming out on the threads.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

John, I have handled hundreds of A/B cams, and have only seen one with a washer, it came to me from Canada. The gear on that one looked different too. The washer was thin, and apparently hardened.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:23 AM   #5
john charlton

Thank you all for your informative replies . I did check the service bulletins but could not find it in the index . Thank you for locating it for me . Interestingly the English parts book for 1930 lists the washer at 4 pennies but the 1933 list shows 8 pennies ,inflation !!! The washer is in the English service bulletins for June 1930 not Feb as the USA bulletin also although the picture is the same the script also advises to read the July/Aug 1929 bulletin to make sure the mechanic pays good attention to make sure the cam nut is tight . The washer is slightly convex and seems to be spring steel the cam gear was a regular "Celeron " . I do not think this gear could have been changed if the cam was still in the car the nut was super tight . I had sold the cam to a buddy who had a worn cam so I had to remove the old one as it was very worn anyway .I cut the gear into quarters removed the outer and got a 2 foot stilson pipe wrench on the nut to remove it you could not have done it in the car for sure .The washer certainly works as a lock washer !!!

John in still in lock down hurry up with the vaccine Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote