Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #21
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Who makes the best model A woody kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of elmirage View Post
thanks for all the replies I am just talking about a wood kit for a body. I have the cowl and all that stuff
Please change your avatar. The present one tends to scare little kids and small animals. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
praedad

Thanks!
praedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Let us know how u make out
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:21 AM   #24
MVal

This is an old thread and assume everyone knows Pleasantville MFG. is for sale (see Hemmings) and question if they are still making bodies. In the last Woody Wagons newsletter there is an ad for 150-B bodies, $7,200, by Neil Brown, 10700 Scenic Drive, Honor, Michigan 49640 231-620-7802.
MVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #25
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Word is that Pleasantville Manufacturing went out of business and closed not too long ago. A fresh search for this outfit yields a dead link.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #26
1931 flamingo

New Hemmings came today and ad FOR SALE is still in it. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 AM   #27
Dave Mellor NJ

Look in the back of Hemmings "Employment and Business Opportunities". Name and business including inventory for sale-$100,000.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #28
ronn

I wood suppose as prices have gone up on kits, over 7k for wood and pricing has dropped
on finished cars, the demand is just not there. Also, not many people have time anymore for projects, as witnessed in sales prices. Many people are buying finished cars rather then projects.

I always wtd to buy one from Pleasantville, as they are beautiful, but alas, will never happen.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #29
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
wood suppose as prices have gone up on kits, over 7k for wood and pricing has droppedon finished cars, the demand is just not there. Also, not many people have time anymore for projects, as witnessed in sales prices. Many people are buying finished cars rather then projects.
Yes . . . I believe that you are totally correct. Expense and effort to restore a vehicle in modern times will not be in any reasonable amount retrievable. Market for most antique / old motor vehicles is continuing to diminish. Fords, are somewhat the exception and still have value. Solid sanely priced turn-key Model As are to be found. After that, trying to dump one of the "barn find" heaps it's pretty much in a seller's wasteland.

As routine, I survey regional Craigslist ADs for vehicles 1909-1964. There are lots of non Ford "project cars" offered over and over again, month after month. The majority are rodent infested, unsightly rotted wrecks that should be handed over to the nearest scrap metal recycle center. When offered in sound running condition, these vehicles are reduced in price month after month. Locally, there are numerous ordinary Studebaker, Packard, Desoto, Hudson, Dodge and myriad other brand cars rotating through Craigslist all the time. Prices are usually $5,000 asking price on down. There's a solid 1953 Packard sedan there now for the past couple of years with the asking price knocked down to $2,600. Drive her home! Apparently nobody wants those things. Last time looked, the AD is still in place.

There are also offered numerous dust covered, shed stashed for the past 40-years Model A Ford sedans. Those sellers ask anywhere from around $8,000 to $6,000. Even when those clunkers got parked there, most were original cars having been crudely brush painted. As bought decades ago, they were seventy-five dollar cast-off clunkers diverted from a junk yard. Back in the 1960s, I remember people buying those out of barn grade Model A Fords and driving the cars as there were. The majority of these 1940s era kid jalopy cars having not seen maintenance of any kind since the 1930s. Now the things have been sitting in lousy quality storage for another half-century and we're suppose to hand over many thousand dollars to some know nothing goofball who happened to stumble upon the thing recently and got it for nothing.

Survey the ground . . . As of 2017, the Yankee Dollar is solid and getting stronger. Prices are down on most everything as the greenback rises. Buyers for all non-essentials continues to shrink. It is a cash buyer's market so shop wisely.

Save your money in that special little fund. Excellent turn-key Model A Ford cars for short money will continue to show up as my own generation, soberly, but realistic to say, disappears.

Good luck and keep em flying!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 01-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #30
Briguy

Your search for top notch Model A Woody Wagon wood kits is over! They're being built here in Traverse City, Michigan by famous woody restorer Mike Nickels and his partner Neal Brown. Absolutely perfect in every detail right to the Ford prints. If you've seen their work, you know what they do. The wood is exactly as Henry did it. Fit and finish outstanding. See ad in back pages of Model A News. Right now they are getting $7200 for the complete kit.
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #31
JDupuis

Briguy, Thanks for updating this information. Perhaps the contact information could be attached to the above sticky, which contains all of our dealer/supplier contact info.
This certainly is great news for our hobby. Two thumbs up! .
Jeff
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #32
Stretch Cab

Do they have a website?
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #33
henry's 31

Pleasantville is no longer in business. If you want a 150B Model A Station Wagon Body Mike Nichols and Neil Brown are making them from original patterns. They have a wealth of experience. Great people. Tell them Al Lugo told you.

Contact them at:

Mike Nickels: 231-342-9173

Neil Brown: 231-620-7802
Old 04-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #34
justachevyguy

I know that this is an old thread but Mike Nichols and Neil Brown's shop burned down last year. I wish them the best.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/e...isnt-quitting/
justachevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by justachevyguy View Post
I know that this is an old thread but Mike Nichols and Neil Brown's shop burned down last year. I wish them the best.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/e...isnt-quitting/
Yes, that was a sad deal, ...and we can only image how traumatic it was for Mike & Neil. Fire has always been an internal fear of mine, so I cannot even imagine the pain these guys have felt.

And with that happening, I am probably the only one making Model-A 150 replacement wood at this time. I have spent the time ad resources to have all of the correctly shaped knives made for the body mouldings including the finger joint knives. We have even 3D printed sanding blocks and templates to help with finishing. Our only real hurdle left is manufacturing the correct thickness of 0.500" Baltic Birch panels instead of the 12mm panels that are commercially available in modern-era dimensional lumber (-think how a 2x4 is no longer 2" by 4"!). While 28 thousandths difference between the two thicknesses doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you view it with the moulding strips on it. Then it is painfully obvious. The same for the finger joints. Ohh well, if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right.

I have included a few pictures of some finished parts. We are presently building two bodies and have two more to do, and afterwards we will see about final digitizing where we can use a CNC router to possibly make them in kit form.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (82.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.jpg (78.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0867.jpg (81.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (72.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (71.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (55.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0864.jpg (60.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0866.jpg (69.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.jpg (73.3 KB, 58 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #36
ronn

Congrats Brent- I know this has been on the burner for awhile now.

Glad to see it happening.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #37
todd3131

Brent,
I am planning on making a custom bodied pickup that uses as much of the original style wood. I have been looking at finger joint knives also with shaping knives for the upper mouldings and door mouldings. Would you be interested in selling milled lengths? It would be more cost effective not to mention safer if I bought the lengths.

Thanks

I am sorry to hear about the fire, I am sure they will be back better.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:09 PM   #38
redmodelt

Brent, what about all the castings/brackets/etc that go with the bodies? If you are just replacing the wood, that is one thing, but building one from the ground up, all those casting/brackets would be needed. I redid one that someone started and really screwed up, along with some of the casting/brackets were missing. Was able to get some of the last ones Pleasantville MFG had to replace them. Got lucky on that.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #39
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Brent,
I am planning on making a custom bodied pickup that uses as much of the original style wood. I have been looking at finger joint knives also with shaping knives for the upper mouldings and door mouldings. Would you be interested in selling milled lengths? It would be more cost effective not to mention safer if I bought the lengths.

Thanks

I am sorry to hear about the fire, I am sure they will be back better.
Sure, we can work something out. Contact me thru an e-mail and we'll discuss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Brent, what about all the castings/brackets/etc that go with the bodies? If you are just replacing the wood, that is one thing, but building one from the ground up, all those casting/brackets would be needed. I redid one that someone started and really screwed up, along with some of the casting/brackets were missing. Was able to get some of the last ones Pleasantville MFG had to replace them. Got lucky on that.
Mark, I think the days of building complete bodies (new wood & irons) is over. The labor costs to produce a new reproduction body in today's market makes the selling price unrealistic to the average consumer. I think the market for accurate replacement wood for an original body is very limited but needed. My view is many older restorations of the 150A/B were done reusing original wood which has further deteriorated and will need to be replaced at some point.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #40
Oldbluoval

Albeit I’m having difficulty with foundry currently….hopefully not forever!
There are those that will cast small quantities of parts. But drawings or parts needed for knock-off are needed
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote