Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
ken ct
BANNED

Default 52-81 and 81

What is the accurate why of 2 diff. #'s on the 81's. Does anyone know the true story [not hearsay].Which came first and why??????? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 52-81 and 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
What is the accurate why of 2 diff. #'s on the 81's. Does anyone know the true story [not hearsay].Which came first and why??????? ken ct.
Now, Ken, you have to know that the guys with the most off~the~wall 'hearsay' are the ones who are most adamant about the accuracy of their information!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Now, Ken, you have to know that the guys with the most off~the~wall 'hearsay' are the ones who are most adamant about the accuracy of their information!
About the only one I would trust with accurate info on these are U.Max. Im sure he will chime in on this. ken ct.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Terry,OH

If you only trust Max why don't you send him a PM? This way he will be sure to see your question.
Fords P/N prefix for the 81 is 52. Much like their P/N prefix for the 97 is 67
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Bob C

I think Terry has it, 52 was used as the prefix for a lot of 60HP parts.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Barn Junk

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm sure the small 81s with the 52 were first installed on 60 hp cars at the factory. Later when replacements and demand from auto part stores increased, Stromburg standardized their product with just the large 81 marking. Maybe Ford had control over marketing if their company codes were on the carb. Speculation, yes,but that is how businesses operate, especially Ford and maybe the complete answer is buried in company documents. The same thing happened to the 97 carbs. I think Ford still controls their codes/IDs on repro parts for our old Fords.

My parents had a 56 Chevy. it lost a hubcap. They bought a replacement at the auto parts store and the Chevy Crests around the perimeter had a slightly modified shape so not to upset GM.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Stromberg usually used the venturi size as their model number
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

I think you got a handle on it "Barn Junk" ,same thing happened on the 97 = 67-97 thanks guys. ken ct.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Junk View Post
I'm sure the small 81s with the 52 were first installed on 60 hp cars at the factory. Later when replacements and demand from auto part stores increased, Stromburg standardized their product with just the large 81 marking. Maybe Ford had control over marketing if their company codes were on the carb. Speculation, yes,but that is how businesses operate, especially Ford and maybe the complete answer is buried in company documents. The same thing happened to the 97 carbs. I think Ford still controls their codes/IDs on repro parts for our old Fords.

My parents had a 56 Chevy. it lost a hubcap. They bought a replacement at the auto parts store and the Chevy Crests around the perimeter had a slightly modified shape so not to upset GM.

I hope Bruce doesn't mind my stealing his answer from the Hamb. Obviously this was in response to the same question pertaining to the 97s. Hearsay, but I once read an explanation from a knowledgeable person who said perhaps the smaller logo carbs with the Ford part number might have been made by Ford. We know Ford made some of the Holley AA1s, as evidenced by the script F.

11-25-2013, 04:16 PM #8 Bruce Lancaster

Re: What is the difference Between Stromberg 97 Logo's
All the small logo 97's I have encountered have the Ford part number prefix (67) cast in right above the 97...the 67 also went on the lid, right above the number on main body, on those carbs still intact. This linked the new parts to their number in the Ford system...so presumably all small logo 97's are original Ford. I assumed from this that the large logos were all from the huge number of aftermarket sales Stromberg made for many years...then I got my cage re-rattled on that!
Someone pointed out that the carb in the service bulletins in 1936, a picture I have known for most of my life, were large! So--Ford clearly supplied larges from the beginning too. Next, I looked at the Ford rebuild guide, which was published in 1938 as the carbs were being phased out by Ford...more large logos, then I noticed an arrow base on one, something I had thought of as marking very late aftermarket Strombergs... so all of those forms go back to or near the beginning!
Anyway, there are no meaningful differences between the logo or base styles UNTIL the late aftermarket ones with the protruding nozzle on the off-idle circuit hole. These have different base, notched bore for the nozzle, and different idle bleeds in the main casting from all others.

Last edited by 1952henry; 12-28-2013 at 06:25 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
I hope Bruce doesn't mind my stealing his answer from the Hamb. Obviously this was in response to the same question pertaining to the 97s. Hearsay, but I once read an explanation from a knowledgeable person who said perhaps the smaller logo carbs with the Ford part number might have been made by Ford. We know Ford made some of the Holley AA1s, as evidenced by the script F.

11-25-2013, 04:16 PM #8 Bruce Lancaster

Re: What is the difference Between Stromberg 97 Logo's
All the small logo 97's I have encountered have the Ford part number prefix (67) cast in right above the 97...the 67 also went on the lid, right above the number on main body, on those carbs still intact. This linked the new parts to their number in the Ford system...so presumably all small logo 97's are original Ford. I assumed from this that the large logos were all from the huge number of aftermarket sales Stromberg made for many years...then I got my cage re-rattled on that!
Someone pointed out that the carb in the service bulletins in 1936, a picture I have known for most of my life, were large! So--Ford clearly supplied larges from the beginning too. Next, I looked at the Ford rebuild guide, which was published in 1938 as the carbs were being phased out by Ford...more large logos, then I noticed an arrow base on one, something I had thought of as marking very late aftermarket Strombergs... so all of those forms go back to or near the beginning!
Anyway, there are no meaningful differences between the logo or base styles UNTIL the late aftermarket ones with the protruding nozzle on the off-idle circuit hole. These have different base, notched bore for the nozzle, and different idle bleeds in the main casting from all others.

Would you help us layman out, and explain how this is relevant to the 81 carb?

Thanks.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
1952henry

Sure thing. Large/small logo 97s have been a source of confusion just as the small/large logo 81s are; reason for Ken's question. It's been widely thought that the small logo was "factory issue" whereas the large logo was for replacements. I believe that is what Barn Junk was getting at. My inclusion of Mr. Lancaster's observation seems to discredit this theory as he noticed large logo 97s in 1936 service bulletins. 1936 (April) is the year Stromberg 97s were put into service.

So, if large and small logo 97s co-existed, it stands to reason large/small logo 81s did as well.

Last edited by 1952henry; 12-28-2013 at 06:26 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
1952henry

Mike B. scroll down a bit on these Hamb pics and you will see what Ken is asking about. Same applies to the 97 except you will see a 67 instead of 52.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=stromberg+81
Old 12-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Sure thing. Large/small logo 97s have been a source of confusion just as the small/large logo 81s are; reason for Ken's question. It's been widely thought that the small logo was "factory issue" whereas the large logo was for replacements. I believe that is what Barn Junk was getting at. My inclusion of Mr. Lancaster's observation seems to discredit this theory as he noticed large logo 97s in 1936 service bulletins. 1936 (April) is the year Stromberg 97s were put into service.

So, if large and small logo 97s co-existed, it stands to reason large/small logo 81s did as well.
1952Henry:

I am not trying to stir the pot and it makes sence and all BUT Kenct asked for facts not hear say.
And if it is true then ALL 97s large & small logo's as well as ALL 81s large & small logos would have to be CONCOURSE correct / each for there own year ('s)
That would make more carbs correct in both 97s & 81s for rebuild ?????

BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
1952Henry:

I am not trying to stir the pot and it makes sence and all BUT Kenct asked for facts not hear say.
And if it is true then ALL 97s large & small logo's as well as ALL 81s large & small logos would have to be CONCOURSE correct / each for there own year ('s)
That would make more carbs correct in both 97s & 81s for rebuild ?????
You are correct. That door was opened and I opened it a bit further. At the same time, offered some evidence disproving the aforementioned hearsay in post 6.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
BILL WZOREK

That is why this Hobby & this site is so much fun,Because there is not ONE book that you can open and get all the facts.
The TRUTH is that the car Company's & there parts suppliers were in the Business to make $$$$$$ And if they could reap more coin by making slight changes and avoid Patent infrengment it was done.
As it is today it's the BOTTON LINE that matters !!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Mike B

I get ya henry,

Thanks (and for the links as well)
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote